U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,036,798 times

Advertisements

10-12 on picks. Started out strong, then fell apart as the night progressed. Here's my Top 25 going into Week 3.

#1: Clemson (2-0)
#2: Alabama (2-0)
#3: Georgia (2-0)
#4: Oklahoma (2-0)
#5: LSU (2-0) +2
#6: Ohio State (2-0) -1
#7: Florida (2-0) +2
#8: Notre Dame (1-0) +2
#9: Penn State (2-0) +3
#10: Utah (2-0) +3
#11: Wisconsin (2-0) +4
#12: Texas (1-1) -4
#13: Auburn (2-0) +1
#14: Oregon (1-1) +2
#15: Iowa (2-0) +2
#16: Washington (1-1) -5
#17: Boise State (2-0) +1
#18: UCF (2-0) NEW - Forgot to rank them last week
#19: Washington State (2-0) +3
#20: Virginia (2-0) NEW
#21: Cal (2-0) NEW
#22: Kentucky (2-0) NEW
#23: Texas A&M (1-1) -4
#24: Maryland (2-0) NEW
#25: Iowa State (1-0)

Honorable Mentions

USC (2-0)
SMU (2-0)
Memphis (2-0)
TCU (1-0)
NC State (2-0)
Baylor (2-0)
Oklahoma State (2-0)
UAB (2-0)
Minnesota (2-0)
Boston College (2-0)
Kansas State (2-0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 AM

8,438 posts, read 4,285,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Alabama, when does their season start? Every team has had at least one game, many have had two. Why hasn't Alabama played?
They've played Duke and New Mexico State.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:05 AM

5,023 posts, read 4,044,992 times
RANKINGS
[color="Navy"]1 Chriscross309 18-6
2 7Express 16-8[
/COLOR]
3 Southern Tiger 24-13
4 Large King cat 21- 15

I need ChrisCross and 7Express to post their totals The Cat is still in last place as usual, but at least I have a winning percentage now. (I did not pick some of the early week 0 and week 1 games)

ANYONE else who wants to pick may get in. Everyone is welcome. it is all for fun and PLEASE...do not bet money based on anything I say.

Games to watch this week.
Pittsburgh at Penn State. Rivalry games, which means anything can happen
Stanford at UCF in Orlando Top 20 mathcup
As is IOWA vs IOWA STATE Top 25 teams and a rivalry
Hawaii at Washington I think Hawaii is underrated.

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 09-08-2019 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-08-2019, 09:15 AM

9,715 posts, read 7,350,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's nice seeing some big schools doing home-and-home series with other power 5 over the last few years - Texas A&M, Clemson, LSU, Texas, Auburn, Ohio State, Florida State, etc. then you have Alabama playing in these weak neutral site games. It's been a decade since they've played a true non-conference road game.

Clemson is 4-0 vs. the much vaunted SEC West the last 4 years. Throw in the playoffs and South Carolina and they're 10-1 vs. the SEC in the last 4 years. They've owned the SEC.

Clemson is something like 17-9 against the SEC under Dabo overall, and 5 of those losses were to South Carolina.

Alabama does seem to be making an effort to clean up the schedule. These games are set years in advance, so.. It'll still be a bit. They're playing USC in Texas next year, Miami in Atlanta in 2021.. But then they've got a home and home against Texas, then Wisconsin, then Notre Dame, then Oklahoma in 2032-2033

Remember that the Clemson/A&M series they just wrapped up was originally A&M vs Oregon.. A&M backed out once Oregon went to hell.

Oh, and throw a 2-for-1 against USF in 2023, 2024 and 2026 in there for Alabama. Not exactly a powerhouse, but.. It's an effort.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:24 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,902,193 times
Tennessee is staring a 1 (maybe not even one) win season in the face right now.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Clemson is something like 17-9 against the SEC under Dabo overall, and 5 of those losses were to South Carolina.

Alabama does seem to be making an effort to clean up the schedule. These games are set years in advance, so.. It'll still be a bit. They're playing USC in Texas next year, Miami in Atlanta in 2021.. But then they've got a home and home against Texas, then Wisconsin, then Notre Dame, then Oklahoma in 2032-2033

Remember that the Clemson/A&M series they just wrapped up was originally A&M vs Oregon.. A&M backed out once Oregon went to hell.

Oh, and throw a 2-for-1 against USF in 2023, 2024 and 2026 in there for Alabama. Not exactly a powerhouse, but.. It's an effort.
IT is a risky series for A&M. And a statement about the change of Atmosphere with the new coach.
Since Jackie Sherill, the idea was to load the schedule with games that were winnable and have one or two that could go either way. He himself even said that. This continued up through the previous directorships, loading schools like Texas State and it jumped up and bit them once when Southeast Louisiana beat them years ago.

The new coach is going for visibility, and he knows that he will get it against a program like Clemson, win or lose. And it teaches the players a lesson the hard way when they lose like they did yesterday, but they learn more about football than when they play Texas State or Lamar. When they get into the SEC games, against solidschools like Bama or Georgia, they will be needing to step up. Clemson gave them a good awakening.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 AM

362 posts, read 138,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Exactly. When do they actually play a game like other teams? Please don't try to tell me Duke or New Mexico State have real football teams.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 AM

447 posts, read 122,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
One could say that Alabama still hasn't started based on those two matchups.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:05 AM

I watched the ARMY vs MICHIGAN game yesterday and it went down to the wire in 2 overtimes

I had surgery earlier in the week so All I have had to do this week is watch TV and read updates on the internet. I get more useful insight on this forum than I do watching the ESPN shows. It is funny that those guys are paid, although entertaining, to make picks and predictions that are often not even accurate. (Or as accurate as one can be in sports) We have enough entertainers on here that we could run our own show.

That being said, I saw a few things at the ARMY MICHIGAN game. The QBs for Michigan have a bad case of fumble-itis going . They may need to petition the NCAA for the use of Stickem'. The ARMY has a Bill Parcels sort of Power offense. Just push the guys in front of you into the dirt and get a few yards every play. You do that over and over again. Pretty soon, that defensive front wears down.
Of course a program like Michigan has third string guys that are better than many teams first string guys and late in the game, they can put fresh players in off the bench. But the game went down to an Overtime Field Goal, and I was rooting for the underdog Army to win. Not that I have anything against Michigan or any vested interest in BIG 10 Football.

ARMY will go to play against UT San Antonio. The Roadrunners have a not so good run defense, and the Black Knights may run at will over them. MICHIGAN has a week off then they have to play powerhouse Wisconsin. If they fumble that chance away, then the coach will be all over someone about his future as the QB.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:33 AM

3,729 posts, read 3,932,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

That's one of the main issues - teams are scheduling these home-and-home series so far in advance that who knows the state a program will be in 8, 9, 10 years down the line.

The NCAA needs to start mandating rigid scheduling requirements - every team must play a minimum of 5 true road games every year. Every conference should have a 9 game conference schedule - the Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12 already do this. It's time the ACC and SEC get on board. It's crazy that teams in the SEC will go 5 and 6 years between playing teams from the other division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or