U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 04:09 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,169,673 times

Advertisements

I'm for anybody but Alabama, other SEC teams and FSU.

The bragging about the SEC by SEC team fans even after Alabama got destroyed by Clemson this year is a bit much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:48 PM

1,164 posts, read 578,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
This is the official thread for discussion about and related to the 2019 college football season.

Coaches poll comes out at beginning of August, AP won't be out until later in the month.

For those of you who can't wait until late August for football to come back, there's always NFL preseason to fill you in until then.

What do i wish for Texas football to do this season? Well, aside beating Oklahoma again, give me less heart attacks than last season, and end up in the Playoff four. That's what i hope for, although let's see.

Here's my preseason Top 25 going into the season.

#1: Clemson
#2: Alabama
#3: Georgia
#4: Oklahoma
#5: Ohio State
#6: Michigan
#7: Florida
#8: LSU
#9: Texas
#10: Oregon
#11: Notre Dame
#12: Washington
#13: Penn State
#14: Syracuse
#15: Fresno State
#16: Utah
#17: Northwestern
#18: Iowa State
#19: Wisconsin
#20: Boise State
#21: Texas A&M
#22: UCF
#23: Auburn
#24: Missouri
#25: Stanford

Honorable Mentions

Army
North Texas
Washington State
Cincinnati
Kentucky
Iowa
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Purdue
TCU

Nebraska has much more to prove to me before i rank them, and until Michigan State starts getting better on offense, even with a good defense, i'm done with giving them preseason hype.
Clemson is dominating the rankings. But do they have a reliable backup if the starting quarterback gets injured? Last season, Clemson almost lost when he had a concussion. But the 3rd stringer actually won the game (albeit just barely).

Alabama lost its great "backup" who transferred to OU. So, if Tua is injured, then can the backup win the game? I feel leery of these early season rankings. Recall the UCF quarterback's injury late last season.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:51 AM

5,626 posts, read 2,402,608 times
I predict the usual weirdness from Auburn. If they're ranked highly, they underwhelm. If they're not ranked highly, they come out and absolutely punish people. Last year, Auburn had a brand-new offensive line. This year, not so much. So I guess we'll see.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:22 AM

28,426 posts, read 26,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Clemson is dominating the rankings. But do they have a reliable backup if the starting quarterback gets injured? Last season, Clemson almost lost when he had a concussion. But the 3rd stringer actually won the game (albeit just barely).
Most schools struggle to get a reliable starting QB much less a reliable backup.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:15 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,169,673 times
https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rind-wore-bama

Dabo responds to Finebaum's argument that the SEC 'grind' wore down Alabama and that's why they lost to Clemson.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:03 PM

388 posts, read 177,350 times
Dabo is right. The SEC is no longer the best "top to bottom" conference. They have several very strong teams - Alabama, Georgia, LSU - but after that it is debatable.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:26 PM

7,297 posts, read 8,287,162 times
What grind? The SEC is about 2-3 elite teams, and the rest are at best, good but not great. The SEC! SEC! SEC! crowd needs to quit with this nonsense that every team in that conference is tough.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:18 AM

28,426 posts, read 26,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
What grind? The SEC is about 2-3 elite teams, and the rest are at best, good but not great. The SEC! SEC! SEC! crowd needs to quit with this nonsense that every team in that conference is tough.
Does the SEC have 3 elite teams? I would say Alabama and Georgia are elite teams, which is more than what the ACC has, granted.

Most SEC programs tend to excel at one or two facets of the game but tend not to be that well-rounded. Ole Miss or Miss State will have a great defensive line with a mediocre offense. Or a team like LSU will have a strong secondary and running game with subpar QB play. There are few teams that can apply pressure to their opposition on both sides of the ball.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:44 AM

7,297 posts, read 8,287,162 times
The comment is more based on that Georgia and Alabama are the top of the conference class, but occasionally Auburn joins them for a season. Not really sure what to make of LSU right now.

But Alabama always beats up on the rest of the SEC West, even LSU hasn't beaten them since 2011.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:06 PM

388 posts, read 177,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Does the SEC have 3 elite teams? I would say Alabama and Georgia are elite teams, which is more than what the ACC has, granted.

Most SEC programs tend to excel at one or two facets of the game but tend not to be that well-rounded. Ole Miss or Miss State will have a great defensive line with a mediocre offense. Or a team like LSU will have a strong secondary and running game with subpar QB play. There are few teams that can apply pressure to their opposition on both sides of the ball.
Why isn't LSU elite? Okay, they lose to Alabama every year, but they beat Georgia by 20 points last season...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or