U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM

8,540 posts, read 8,538,747 times

Advertisements

Dunno, they still worship the cheating Jackie Sherrill, so there is that to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 03:47 PM

5,041 posts, read 4,055,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
In all seriousness - I hope for A&M's sake they went in with eyes wide open when hiring Jimbo.

His track record says only bad things to come - and Aggie fans deserve much better!
I read a very disturbing article today about him at FSU. While he got to the National Championship spotlight, he also got more players academically ineligible and saw a decrease in GPA, which has started to rectify itself now that he is gone. The fact is while he one once, he left the programs in a total mess that is still being mopped up by the next coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Dunno, they still worship the cheating Jackie Sherrill, so there is that to consider.
And that is a shame because he had a record of cheating, got the program slapped with sanctions, and left in shame....except to a few AND very few fans who wanted to win at all cost.

He also started the mess about scheduling easy games to guarantee a winning season. That caused a lot of football fans to lose all respect for the program. Back in the SWC days, after he lost to schools like BC, ALABAMA OSU USC he dropped all those off and started getting UTEP, S MISS , TULSA which had weak programs at the time.

At least Jimbo is not afraid to play someone good. I have more respect for a team that does not play an easy schedule and try to claim to be good when the biggest win comes against Rice or Southeast Louisiana.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 PM

A&M is playing Lamar, an FCS team this next game. They have played 10 such lower division schools in the past decade or so.
Jimbo better get on his AD to schedule more top 25 FBS teams for OOC games ASAP, or at least P5 schools.

But I wonder if the SEC will allow it? After all gotta get those 3 or 4 super cupcake wins to help make the team bowl eligible.

I find it disgraceful that the NCAA allows a win over an FCS school to count towards eligibility.
Of course they need more teams to fill those dippy minor bowl games to generate more $$$$.

Maybe they should just give all 130 teams a participation trophy.

A&M is certainly capable of playing a tougher schedule.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:26 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,416,519 times
Quote:
In all seriousness - I hope for A&M's sake they went in with eyes wide open when hiring Jimbo.

His track record says only bad things to come - and Aggie fans deserve much better!
He's won a National Championship and been in the mix an additional time. That's more than any A&M coach I can recall.

On another note- I though the win tally for bowl games had to be D1 schools. The cupcakes are usually to give an extra home game for revenue purposes that will not wear out the players physically. Unless you are UT this year or Michigan in 2007 or 08 and you cough up the game. Games are also typically scheduled a couple of years out so this is not Jimbos doing- nor do I expect him to change it since going to Clemson out of conference is a pretty major game compared to what most people schedule. Even when the game was schedule Clemson was a top 15 program before being top 5 the last 4 years. I usually give the SEC west teams a slight break since they are the power half of that conference and if truth be told they usually have the most difficult division games of any of the P5 divisions.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM

He won a championship with Bowden’s players, did well for a while, then ran the program into the ground. That was evident his last season (losing) and what his successor has had to deal with.
The latter part is similar to Mack Brown’s closing years at Texas after a great run for a decade. He mailed it in and let a crappy entitled culture of malcontents fester in the program and misfired on his recruiting. That left Charley Strong (a terrible hire and worst coach in Texas football history) with a trainwreck that Tom Herman is having to rebuild.

Jimbo is still recruiting lights out, so we’ll see if he can validate that insane contract by contending for the SEC very soon and taking them to the playoffs. But this year it looks like they will wind up behind Bama & LSU in the West as usual. Losing their best RB is a big blow.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 8,330,341 times
Whats this thread about again?

Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 PM

8,469 posts, read 4,313,860 times
Texas AM players did a lot of chirping before the game.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 AM

1,211 posts, read 598,728 times
Quote:

I was still living in Tallahassee when Jimbo was coaching. It started to fall apart in December of 2012. That was when the alleged sexual assault by Jameis Winston occurred. Then the rumors hit the internet blogs among FSU students which eventually propagated to a full-blown investigation under high media scrutiny. In the midst of that FSU won the championship, but it seems like the intense pressure of media criticism and player mistakes (or criminal acts) caught up with them. The FSU football players were inundated with disciplinary issues. Meanwhile, Jimbo's wife apparently had an affair with (1) a Florida alumnus and football player and (2) a much younger FSU tennis player. Hence, the divorce hit Jimbo hard. And then there was an academic scandal in the midst of decline. By 2016 the team was falling apart, and Jimbo escaped to Texas with his new girlfriend - also a single parent. I noticed that second marriages with single parents are common in the FL Panhandle. Jimbo left FSU football in a mess which hasn't recovered.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I was still living in Tallahassee when Jimbo was coaching. It started to fall apart in December of 2012. That was when the alleged sexual assault by Jameis Winston occurred. Then the rumors hit the internet blogs among FSU students which eventually propagated to a full-blown investigation under high media scrutiny. In the midst of that FSU won the championship, but it seems like the intense pressure of media criticism and player mistakes (or criminal acts) caught up with them. The FSU football players were inundated with disciplinary issues. Meanwhile, Jimbo's wife apparently had an affair with (1) a Florida alumnus and football player and (2) a much younger FSU tennis player. Hence, the divorce hit Jimbo hard. And then there was an academic scandal in the midst of decline. By 2016 the team was falling apart, and Jimbo escaped to Texas with his new girlfriend - also a single parent. I noticed that second marriages with single parents are common in the FL Panhandle. Jimbo left FSU football in a mess which hasn't recovered.
Very good summary of what went down during his watch at FSU, but apparently it never registered with the A&M athletic director. (Who just threw A&M under the bus and ran off to their “rival” LSU for $50,000).

That ludicrous contract they gifted Jimbo with must’ve been crafted by the lawyers from their recently purchased law school. Lol.

Seriously, if he doesn’t produce, A&M’s “100 Year Decision” will be a decades long disaster for their football program.

No takebacks, SEC.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:08 PM

367 posts, read 139,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
A&M is playing Lamar, an FCS team this next game. They have played 10 such lower division schools in the past decade or so.
Jimbo better get on his AD to schedule more top 25 FBS teams for OOC games ASAP, or at least P5 schools.

But I wonder if the SEC will allow it? After all gotta get those 3 or 4 super cupcake wins to help make the team bowl eligible.

I find it disgraceful that the NCAA allows a win over an FCS school to count towards eligibility.
Of course they need more teams to fill those dippy minor bowl games to generate more $$$$.

Maybe they should just give all 130 teams a participation trophy.

A&M is certainly capable of playing a tougher schedule.
A&M is certainly capable of playing a tougher schedule.[/quote]

Are you serious? Have you looked at who they have to play in the SEC? Did you see they also played Clemson? Do you want them to play the NE Patriots? Holy crap, who has more difficult games than this....

I just looked again. As of today, Texas A&M has to play the #1, #2, #3, #4 and #8 teams in the country. Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or