U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 07:44 PM

79 posts, read 17,015 times

Advertisements

They start the season by losing to Georgia State who was 2-10 last season. Even though they have a senior QB starting for his 3rd season. A slew of high school all-american running backs and wide-outs. This will be their 7th losing season since 2010. They haven't had a single NFL draft pick in 3 of the last 5 seasons. They got beat by Ivy League-ish Vanderbilt the last three seasons and the games were not close. etc etc

Is this karma coming back to bite them in the rear really hard for past transgressions? I think so.

https://www.espn.com/ncaa/s/2003/1006/1632218.html

or

https://nypost.com/2016/03/31/tennes...l-phone-calls/

or any number of others over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 AM

7,078 posts, read 6,346,905 times
Tennessee had a 3 point lead and had BYU with like 1st and 15 at their own 9 yard line, no time outs and 54 seconds to go...........................................

And couldn't close it out.

Old Today, 12:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 591,045 times
Lately, a lot of media coverage has been negative on Tennessee and FSU for football. But they have other sports where they do well, and neither has as long of a football drought as other teams out there. Notre Dame hasn't won a championship since the 1988 season, and that one was tarnished by steroid abuse. Georgia hasn't won a championship since the days of Herschel Walker. For years, Clemson was known as the team to "choke" in a good season and miss losing out on its first championship since 1981-1982. But they finally pulled it off. So, most teams who are thriving right now have had major down periods too. Just a few years ago FSU won the championship but is struggling badly. To me, FSU and Tennessee are generally better off than Notre Dame which will likely get humiliated again sometime this season or in the CFP (if they make it that far).

Old Today, 06:14 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,040,525 times
WELL, The team is not doing well BUT I had to buy in on one of those new TShirts, the ones that the orders are jamming the VOls Shop website I am not from TN nor am I a fan, I have a friend who is, I am getting one for him and one for me. I am buying into the story behind it.

Old Today, 11:20 AM

9,693 posts, read 7,335,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Lately, a lot of media coverage has been negative on Tennessee and FSU for football. But they have other sports where they do well, and neither has as long of a football drought as other teams out there. Notre Dame hasn't won a championship since the 1988 season, and that one was tarnished by steroid abuse. Georgia hasn't won a championship since the days of Herschel Walker. For years, Clemson was known as the team to "choke" in a good season and miss losing out on its first championship since 1981-1982. But they finally pulled it off. So, most teams who are thriving right now have had major down periods too. Just a few years ago FSU won the championship but is struggling badly. To me, FSU and Tennessee are generally better off than Notre Dame which will likely get humiliated again sometime this season or in the CFP (if they make it that far).

FSU was so good for so long, that's why it's so surprising.

You take Clemson.. They had 4 losing seasons since 1981(Shockingly, only 2 of them under the tenure of Tommy West). It took 20 years after FSU joined the ACC for Clemson to win the ACC. FSU in that time has had 1 losing season, last year.

FSU just hasn't, in the past 30+ years, NOT been in the conversation about National Champions at some point during the year, up until the past 3 or so. In all those years at Clemson.. They were seriously in consideration in 6 or 7 of those season.

The main difference.. My opinion at least.. Clemson has had 5 coaches in that timeframe, while FSU basically had one. I get it that Jimbo won a championship, but.. I still credit that back to Bowden.

Why is Clemson so good now? look at the turnover on their coaching staff since Dabo took over. Virtually none. Yes, Chad Morris left and a few others.. but most are still there.

UT basically went to pot after Fulmer.

Coaching changes REALLY shake things up in college ball. FSU had the advantage of not having that for a very long time.. That is exceedingly rare.

I dare to say that if Bowden was still the coach.. They would have had a few down years. which would be 4 or 5 losses. But I do not believe they'd be in the situation they are now.

Old Today, 06:59 PM

79 posts, read 17,015 times
Tennessee DB Bryce Thompson returns to team activities following arrest on domestic assault charge
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ssault-charge/

It's almost as if Fulmer is still there... wait... he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football