Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 05:17 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
What nobody has mentioned in this thread is the impact of the Supreme Court decision saying that the NCAA does not have the right to block college athletes from getting paid for use of their name and likeness.

The practical effect of this ruling is that it legalizes what was already going on under the table. A few days ago, Nick Sabin mentioned at the Texas High School Coaches Association that Alabama’s quarterback, who has yet to start a game, is estimated to be able to make $1M this year legally through agreements with sponsors. How’s that for a recruiting advantage?

We are entering a Wild West version of “college” athletics, where the football and basketball athletes especially are going to be acknowledged as semi-pro athletes, at least at the top conference level. Under that environment, it’s every program for itself, and the scramble is on to gobble up as many brand name schools as possible.

Below is a link to a podcast from 247 sports which I thought had a good take on what the Supreme Court decision (NIL) and the Texas/Oklahoma flight to the SEC means for the future of college sports.

https://youtu.be/9xfmHz1L5kQ
USC, UCLA are about to both explode with exclusive deals to whoever signs with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 05:28 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
WVU is in a tough spot. They aren't really appealing to the B1G or the ACC due to academics although geographically they fit both. Iowa State and Kansas would work academically for the B1G. The question is whether having KU's trainwreck of a football program is worth having a Blueblood Basketball program. And then you have to consider if ISU football is a flash in the pan right now.

As far as OU goes, I think the majority of the fans who wanted a move wanted SEC over B1G or PAC. Some people wanted B1G because it would enhance OU's academic image.

Texas always thought they were "too good" for the SEC. They seem to be split among the people who want a move. But it seems to be more PAC and ACC than B1G. The PAC supporters see Austin as a fit for the west coast. The ACC supporters see the academic prowess of the league. I think they feel like the B1G is too cold and too far away.

Whoever in the Big XII were to get left out is probably looking at Group of 5 membership. But if they joined one of those leagues AS a group then that G5 league would rise above the other G5 leagues.
Kansas is ranked 124 by USnews, that puts them below all but 1 BIG 10 school(Nebraska ironically at 133)

I think the entirety of whats left is just going to join the Big East and reform football. Along with UConn and either Old Dominion or Liberty(both associated Big East members), that would be a 10 team conference

Old 07-24-2021, 06:39 AM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I agree with you Eddie, but I ain’t a snob. Far from it, but the road destinations to the PAC are more appealing to me personally.

I am sentimental about ISU & OSU and hope they can land in good spots. It would be nice if the Cowpokes could come with us to the SEC. Of course that would throw it out of balance unless Mizzou went to the Big10.... as they’ve always wanted. KU could go to the Big10 just based on their basketball. KSU to the Mountain West, and Tech too. I could care less about Baylor, that school should’ve been given the DP because of their rape scandal. TCU can go to any 2nd tier conference.

It should be interesting to see if Sark can bring Texas up to the top level in the SEC eventually (Saban won’t be at Bama forever) since he knows their game, so to speak.

The split from the Dinky Dozen should take place sooner rather than later, by 2023. And I don’t think the Longhorn Network will be a sticking point, as Texas might be willing to give it up even though there are 15 more years & $150 million left on the contract.

But in the end, it is all about the money & recruiting- the new NIL rules seem to have been a catalyst to start the change for OU & Texas.
LOL, I tried to word my post as to not intimate that you were necessarily a snob. As I said in my post I'm curious if prior to the leak if anyone down there wanted SEC and was thinking maybe UT fans who are football fans only might have been.

You bring up a great point about Mizzou. They wanted B1G. Here is their chance.

And finally, if the SEC is actually trying to get Clemson, FSU, Michigan and Ohio State then it is kind of pointless to have any of the current leagues anymore.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:14 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
LOL, I tried to word my post as to not intimate that you were necessarily a snob. As I said in my post I'm curious if prior to the leak if anyone down there wanted SEC and was thinking maybe UT fans who are football fans only might have been.

And finally, if the SEC is actually trying to get Clemson, FSU, Michigan and Ohio State then it is kind of pointless to have any of the current leagues anymore.
I honestly wish we could just press the fast forward button and get to the end game in all this.
One super league of ALL the blue bloods from all the big 5 conferences. It just makes sense from a TV revenue perspective. Plus with the NIL coming into force, where does a high school recruit think he's going to make most bank? Playing at Alabama or at Montana State? So the lure of higher revenues from NIL plus the better funding for the big time schools means that we will eventually do away with all these conferences and bowl games, and just have all the talent concentrated in this one super conference.

This super league would possibly rival the NFL in TV contract revenue, and with kids supposedly being able to make up millions in NIL fees (see Alabama qb), they might as well be another professional league, only with an already built in audience as well as a monopoly on all the high school talent since unlike in basketball there is no real overseas leagues to present any type of competition for talent. So for everyone else, a glorified minor league that gets the scraps of talent and revenue, which I suspect would mean the end of football programs for quite a few of the less fortunate colleges.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:02 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I honestly wish we could just press the fast forward button and get to the end game in all this.
I'd rather press the rewind button and go back to 1974. It was low-key. SEC and ACC teams played six conference games plus a bunch of great non-conference games (Clemson played South Carolina, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, and Tennessee). Yes, Alabama was competing with Notre Dame, USC, and Oklahoma for national titles, and the next tier was competing for slots in seven or eight bowl games, but mostly every game was a championship game in its own right.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
No way in the world OSU and Mich are ever in the SEC. That's the dumbest rumor ever.

Also, imagine SC and UGa signing off on Clemson joining. Not.

Might as well just come up with a national conference like English soccer and have the top tier schools play each other. Second tier do the same. Two bad years or two good years, you can move up or down.

Finally time to quit pretending that most of these schools are about amateur athletics.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:19 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
no way in the world osu and mich are ever in the sec. That's the dumbest rumor ever.

Also, imagine sc and uga signing off on clemson joining. Not.

Might as well just come up with a national conference like english soccer and have the top tier schools play each other. Second tier do the same. Two bad years or two good years, you can move up or down.

Finally time to quit pretending that most of these schools are about amateur athletics.
+100

Old 07-25-2021, 08:05 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Dear God the last alignment with A&M and Missouri going to the SEC and Colorado and Nebraska also leaving the Big 12 made my head spin. This would mean that what, 9 mouths (rest of the big 12) would have find a new dinner table.
I always thought that Mizzou and Pitt in the B1G made much more sense geographically (midwest connection, quasi-midwest for Pitt), and the B1G waiting for Notre Dame. Then have MD (stay put in the ACC where it belongs), Rutgers, and WVA in the ACC.

I would actually move Texas to the Pac conference (and maybe OK; OK I could see with the SEC though).

Bottom line is that I would have 4 Power Conferences, which is what it looks like will eventually happen: B1G, Pac, SEC, ACC. Each conference winner gets an automatic bid to the playoffs and then 2 at large teams.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:10 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:

Michigan and Ohio State will never leave the Big Ten. Way too much history, and it would be a PR nightmare for Alum, which is huge for donors/etc. Mizzou was a natural fit for the B1G. Not sure why they didn't wait a little (although there were other things that made it fall through). They and Pitt were being looked at to join at one point.

I don't really see Clemson leaving the ACC. They are easily top dawg. They would be good in the SEC but not necessarily top dawg (they'd be in a 4-5 way battle with Bama, LSU, and Georgia/Auburn year in, year out).

Old 07-25-2021, 11:35 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
OU and Texas apparently were in talks with the ACC as well. Some of the activity is due to the success of the SEC network and what that portends for other conferences in the future. The Big East imploded as teams bolted. ACC is still basketball-heavy in its emphasis as was the Big East.

OU and Texas may agree to jump, but they won't be in the SEC till 2025.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football