Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 04:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,278,727 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to see where everybody ends up, once the dust settles!

USC, UCLA planning move from Pac-12 to Big Ten as early as 2024, sources say

Quote:
USC and UCLA, two of the Pac-12's flagship programs, are planning to leave the conference for the Big Ten as early as 2024, and a move is considered imminent, sources confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

There is still a formal notification process, as the two schools have to let the Pac-12 know their intentions to leave. USC and UCLA also have to formally apply to the Big Ten. According to a source, that process is underway.

Big Ten presidents and chancellors will meet to vote on the addition of USC and UCLA on Thursday at 6 p.m. ET, sources told ESPN.

Multiple sources told ESPN on Thursday that the move is expected to happen. A source called the next steps "formalities," and an announcement could come within the next 24 hours.
Who will get Clemson, the SEC or the Big Ten!

I don't think this will happen, but if the Big Ten can add Notre Dame and Clemson, along with USC and UCLA, that would be crazy.

Eventually there's going be just two premier college football super leagues, the ESPN League (SEC) and the Fox League (Big Ten), probably 20 teams each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 04:31 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,814,631 times
At this point they should do away with Conferences. They can keep them for revenue purposes, but they shouldn’t be required to be restricted to conferences for matchups. It makes no geographical or logistical sense if UCLA and USC are in the Big 10. Clemson will definitely join the SEC so the only 2 relevant conferences will be the Big 10 and SEC.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:39 PM

17,482 posts, read 15,067,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
At this point they should do away with Conferences. They can keep them for revenue purposes, but they shouldn’t be required to be restricted to conferences for matchups. It makes no geographical or logistical sense if UCLA and USC are in the Big 10. Clemson will definitely join the SEC so the only 2 relevant conferences will be the Big 10 and SEC.

Clemson has been in the ACC since its inception. They're not going anywhere.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:45 PM

31,983 posts, read 34,518,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So was Maryland. Just because a team has been in a conference since its inception doesn't mean that said team will always and forever remain in that conference.

Clemson wouldn't go to the SEC because it has a far less competition in the ACC. That probably weighs greater in the decision to leave or stay than history does.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:46 PM

15,728 posts, read 6,435,249 times
College football from the old college bowl days is dying a steady death from the pursuit of profit. It needs to be spun off independently from the other conference sports, if only to limit travel for lower budget competitions. I.e. play college football in a national league system, but the other sports stay in their respective geographical conferences for student travel reasons.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:49 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,278,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The ACC might not even be around in 5 years!

UCLA and USC have been in the PCC/AAWU/PAC-8/10/12 since 1928 and 1922 respectively, you can see how much schools care about history, money talks and.......................well, you know the rest.

If you told someone 5 years ago or heck, even last year both USC and UCLA would be joining the Big Ten in 2024, they would have laughed and told you, you're out of your mind.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:56 PM

31,983 posts, read 34,518,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

UCLA and USC have been in the PCC/AAWU/PAC-8/10/12 since 1928 and 1922 respectively, you can see how much schools care about history, money talks and.......................well, you know the rest.

If you told someone 5 years ago or heck, even last year both USC and UCLA would be joining the Big Ten in 2024, they would have laughed and told you, you're out of your mind.
Exactly. Just look at the payout to each school by conference.

Quote:
School payouts

Big Ten: $54.3 million
SEC: $45.5 million
Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million
Pac-12: $33.6 million
ACC: $30.9 to $37 million
https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...-19-165687503/

And the Big 10 didn't even have a full slate of games in 2020. This type of money is nearly irresistible. Any school and I do mean ANY has its price.

I would not be surprised if the SEC is currently making overtures to FSU, Clemson and Miami. At this point, it is not beyond credulity that we might be down to a couple of super conferences in a few years.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:44 PM

12,914 posts, read 13,245,085 times
The Big 12 made a mistake by not pursuing the Arizona schools.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:21 PM

2,261 posts, read 3,899,445 times
I think conferences should remain intact for Olympic sports. Football should be separated under common control based on the NFL model. That'll give the schools the leverage to maximize revenues from TV, Bowl games, corporate sponsorships, etc.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:36 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,628,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

I grew up in the old Pac-10 region and went to ASU games in early childhood when Frank Kush was coaching and Danny White was the quarterback/punter. At first, the news was completely shocking to me. A quick drive west on I-10 through the desert and hills to LA has been customary for regional Pac-12 games between ASU and UCLA or USC. The proximity generally makes sense.

But as a realist with multiple graduate degrees, I know that many colleges are struggling to deal with a declining budget. The Pac-12 schools are not an exception to that pattern - especially UCLA and USC. The state budget is in crisis which impacts money allotted to the in-state universities. Hence, the net income is a challenge to wrestle with. They have tried to adapt by admitting more out-of-state and international students who pay more for tuition. Some courses have also gone online in an attempt to save money. So, it looks like money was the deciding factor.

However, despite the "higher income" - it still seems logistically difficult to play competitively with a long range of travel to a completely different region of the country. Although I am from rural AZ, I went to college in the midwest at a private Catholic university. The weather out there near Chicago and the Great Lakes can get brutally cold. I remember walking across the quad to the dining hall and having to cover my mouth with the sweater because it was too cold to breathe. It must have been about -10F. Imaging going from sunny Southern California in November to a game in Ann Arbor or Columbus, OH in cold rain (common that time of year) or heavy snowfall. That horrible weather condition would also be combined with jet lag. A flight from the southwest to the midwest usually gets high turbulence in that area east of the Rocky Mountains over KS, IA, IL, MO, etc. It would be a very uncomfortable flight if done routinely. And the caliber of competition would be absurd - OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State have been peaking lately. So has Wisconsin. I think USC and UCLA will regret the decision. They will likely wind up with 3-5 losses per year and might get lucky one year out of every dozen or so. I just can't picture them dominating those away games with those extremely large stadiums and cold weather after jet lag.

Despite the gain in money, I think overall UCLA and USC risk losing the "Brand" by becoming mediocre in such an unfair lineup of games at long distance. They could have stayed in the Pac-12 and competed for the conference championship and a playoff spot. What's going to happen to Bill Walton's catch phrase "The Conference of champions" (lol)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football