Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 01:58 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times

Advertisements

Back at it for another year. Just like last year I'll try to have the next week's schedule up by Wednesday morning at the latest at best hopefully sometime on Tuesday. I think again this is week 0 as there are a few games, but most of the action takes place on Labor Day weekend which is next week. Also, anyone can feel free to discuss anything about the season on a whole. With that said, here's the first slate of games, with all games on Saturday:

Northwestern @ Nebraska.
Wyoming @ Illinois.
UConn @ Utah State.
Charlotte @ Florida Atlantic.
North Texas @ UTEP.
Vanderbilt @ Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 03:17 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Welcome to another season of the Crazy Cat's colorful picks and humorous anecdotes and observations

Looking forward to some college football. By "some" I mean the games that are not dominated by the schools who are spending millions to recruit players so that they can effectively "BUY" a national championship.

While it would be funny to see the Princeton Alumni start throwing in MILLLLION$ to recruit the 50 best players in the nation, we have to remember that colleges like Yale and MIT spend their alumni money on education and research, not football. While football is the most understood thing about colleges for a population through the Southeast and Southwest, that $$ spent by, say, the University of Arkansas to boost the football program takes money away from academics , meaning that the pig breeding and Sasquatch research gets underfunded. Yeah, I know, it is all fun and games until someone finds a bigfoot toe in their bacon .... And the press will spend weeks talking about how the under-funding of education at the expense of football has allowed the Chinese to go ahead and colonize Mars and the Mexican Space Program to set up the first SANDALS resort on the Moon., while on earth, well, the alumni at DUKE blew their children's inheritance on bringing in some 8 foot tall basketball player who may be able to play 2 sports.....

Now on to the predictions, this is for fun only, please do not wager based on what I say. I don't even give much $ to my Alma Mater, but if you knew ON how much of a Cheap they run that place, you would understand
Last year, I went 7-0 a perfect record on week zero on my way to an 8-202 season overall

Northwestern @ NEBRATSKI in Dublin's Fair City....BOZO from U2 to sing at the halftime?

WYOMING @ Illinois. I pick this because I like Wyoming much more than I like Illinois

UConn @ UTAH STATE. Ah, UConn...the Huskies have a long way to go against the other other Aggies

Charlotte @ FLORIDA ATLANTIC SO I go into the book store, I pick up Athlons, Lindy's, Joe Blows college preview etc Turn to the C-USA Section, read it, then put it back without buying it.

Alma Mater @ UTEP. None of them are very high on the Alma Mater, or UTEP. Me Thinks a hot seat is waiting for Seth Latrell if he loses on the road, but let's face it...players can go to Texas or A&M for a cool $Million, while at North Texas, it is free meals and ice cream on Sundays. And no TV Coverage either.
Vanderbilt @ HAWAII I would like to see the Rainbow warriors beat SEC powerhouse Vandy, but would like it more if I could watch it and not have to hear about the rest of the SEC. Fortunately, I can turn the sound off

Old 08-24-2022, 04:22 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

Northwestern @ Nebraska.
Wyoming @ Illinois.
UConn @ Utah State.
North Texas @ UTEP.
Vanderbilt @ Hawaii.
Nebraska
Wyoming
Utah State
Charlotte
UTEP
Hawaii

Old 08-24-2022, 06:33 PM

66 posts, read 48,048 times
Tequila shots and betting go hand in hand...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/08/uta...g-championship

Old 08-25-2022, 10:37 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Back at it for another year. Just like last year I'll try to have the next week's schedule up by Wednesday morning at the latest at best hopefully sometime on Tuesday. I think again this is week 0 as there are a few games, but most of the action takes place on Labor Day weekend which is next week. Also, anyone can feel free to discuss anything about the season on a whole. With that said, here's the first slate of games, with all games on Saturday:

Northwestern @ Nebraska.
Wyoming @ Illinois.
UConn @ Utah State.
North Texas @ UTEP.
Vanderbilt @ Hawaii.
Oregon Duck fan here. We have another week until our first game.
Its against some team from the south. Hope it gets televised. Sometimes the games against little colleges don't get airtime.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:41 PM

Last week: N/A
Season: N/A

Northwestern @ Nebraska. Apparantly, this is being played in Dublin or somewhere else in Europe, but why would Nebraska give up a home divisional game?? Something doesn't make sense here.
Wyoming @ Illinois. I'll take Illinois here, no idea why.
UConn @ Utah State. Jim Mora may rescue the Huskies eventually. It's not going to happen this year or this game as I believe the Huskies are something ridiculous like a 39 point underdog or something like that.
Charlotte @ Florida Atlantic. I wonder if this game will be on TV, could be a decent watch.
North Texas @ UTEP. UTEP had one of their better seasons in history to start last year before faltering a bit down the stretch, but still put together a solid season. I look for them to continue where they started 2021.
Vanderbilt @ Hawaii. Most teams treat a trip to Hawaii as an extended vacation. Since Vandy is probably the only SEC school, or more than likely power 5 school that values academics over athletics, this will be a nice vacation for the Vandy players before classes start.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:08 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
i really started off like Nebratski, going 2-4 with opening week picks. I did not expect the Vanderbilt Commode Doors to put the hurt on the Hawaiian Rainbows.

I like it when the Rainbows have home games because I am usually ready to settle in at Home on Saturday night when the broadcast starts. It makes for a nice Saturday Night at home.
At least the ALMA MATER won even if I did not pick them.

Some good games this upcoming week. The ALMA MATER has SMU, am curious about Coastal Carolina and the Army, both of which should be close games.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:29 PM

Week 1 (or week 2 whatever you want to call the handful of games last Saturday). For posteristy sake, let's count this as the official week 1. All games on Saturday unless noted otherwise:

West Virginia @ Pittsburgh (Thursday).
Penn State @ Purdue (Thursday).
Virginia Tech @ Old Dominion (Friday).
Temple @ Duke (Friday).
Illinois @ Indiana (Friday).
TCU @ Colorado (Friday).
North Carolina @ Appalachian State.
Rutgers @ Boston College.
Cincinnati @ Arkansas.
Oregon @ Georgia.
Arizona @ San Diego State.
Houston @ Texas-San Antonio.
Tulsa @ Wyoming.
BYU @ South Florida.
Middle Tennessee State @ James Madison.
Florida Atlantic @ Ohio.
Army @ Coastal Carolina.
Utah @ Florida.
Memphis @ Mississippi State.
SMU @ North Texas.
Notre Dame @ Ohio State.
Louisville @ Syracuse.
Boise State @ Oregon State.
Western Kentucky @ Hawaii.
Florida State @ LSU (Sunday).
Clemson @ Georgia Tech (Monday).

Old 08-31-2022, 08:54 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times
West Virginia @ Pittsburgh (Thursday).
Let's Goooooo!!!!!!

Penn State @ Purdue (Thursday).
I bet this will be a sneaky good game!

Virginia Tech @ Old Dominion (Friday).
VT will not be ready IMO

Temple @ Duke (Friday).
Garbage v. Trash, so I'll give the home dumpster a nod

Illinois @ Indiana (Friday).
Toss up

TCU @ Colorado (Friday).
I do not know how good either one of these will be.

North Carolina @ Appalachian State.
This seems too cliché, but I don't care

Rutgers @ Boston College.
Probably end with a 0-0 tie

Cincinnati @ Arkansas.
I wanted to give Cincy the nod, but I like what Arkansas is doing!

Oregon @ Georgia.
Calling upset, Georgia will find a way to rest on their loreals.

Arizona @ San Diego State.
I don't even know if this is an upset

Houston @ Texas-San Antonio.
Houston will be good again

Tulsa @ Wyoming.
Home field advantage

BYU @ South Florida.
Just a guess

Middle Tennessee State @ James Madison.
James Madison by 3

Florida Atlantic @ Ohio.
I do not know what Ohio has, but FAU looked ok last week.

Army @ Coastal Carolina.
I will always root for Army, but Costal at home.

Utah @ Florida.
Florida always finds ways to lose games like this early in the year. Plus Utah is good!

Memphis @ Mississippi State.
Mike Leach

SMU @ North Texas.
guessing

Notre Dame @ Ohio State.
Ohio State is loaded, and playing at home

Louisville @ Syracuse.
This is a gross game

Boise State @ Oregon State.
The Beavers with the upset!

Western Kentucky @ Hawaii.
Hawaii disappointed me last week

Florida State @ LSU (Sunday).
This was a tough one, but LSU has serious talent.

Clemson @ Georgia Tech (Monday).
I wish I could say GT, but Clemson will do fine this year.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:55 PM

2,613 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Tennessee will surprise a lot of people this year.

Dark horse to win the SEC and Hendon Hooker is a dark horse to win the Heisman or be a finalist.

You saw what Heup did with a depleted roster last year and now he's got a full year of his system installed watch out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football