U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,816,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
kansas beat VA tech in their BCS bowl game didn't they? you make the claim that some schools play patsies, but what is a patsy? app. state is a more dangerous team than freaking UVA. give me a break. the pac 10 plays scrubs from other conferences. UCLA beat that oh so tough tennesse team in overtime. tennessee sucks. georgia kicked the crap out of arizona state in arizona. I have no problem with the conference not playing a championship game, but it does add to strength of schedule. my gators played hawaii, miami, and florida state out of conference this year. you know, miami and florida state, number 1 & 2 for producing NFL players. USC produces a lot of NFL draft picks, but most don't turn out to be NFL players. you have to deal with USC losing to a bad team, and I have to deal with the gators losing to a bad team.
Tennesse may suck now but not alot of people knew that at the start of the season, its all good saying it now that you know what their record is. As for Miami and Florida State number 1 & 2 in producing NFL players I don't think that should have anything todo with the strength of schedule, that is the past, if it does it shouldn't. I find it strange though why the Gators choose to play Hawaii, a depleted team with alot of their offence gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times
their schedules are made a few years in advance. they didn't know june jones was going to leave, and hawaii had been a good team with an explosive offense for a while. before they had colt brennan, they had aslie lelie and timmy chang. I wasn't saying that miami and fla state producing the most pros will go into strength of schedule, I was making a point that it was USC producing all the pros. USC isn't even in the top 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Tennesse may suck now but not alot of people knew that at the start of the season, its all good saying it now that you know what their record is. As for Miami and Florida State number 1 & 2 in producing NFL players I don't think that should have anything todo with the strength of schedule, that is the past, if it does it shouldn't. I find it strange though why the Gators choose to play Hawaii, a depleted team with alot of their offence gone.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,382 times
I think if we got rid of the pre season top 25 poll we might have some more clarity through out the year. I mean Ohio St was not and is not a top 10 team. We should wait til week 5-6 to have the first poll.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
their schedules are made a few years in advance. they didn't know june jones was going to leave, and hawaii had been a good team with an explosive offense for a while. before they had colt brennan, they had aslie lelie and timmy chang. I wasn't saying that miami and fla state producing the most pros will go into strength of schedule, I was making a point that it was USC producing all the pros. USC isn't even in the top 5.
Oh okay I see, all good.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I think if we got rid of the pre season top 25 poll we might have some more clarity through out the year. I mean Ohio St was not and is not a top 10 team. We should wait til week 5-6 to have the first poll.
Yeah I completely agree, polls are useless until week 5 or 6. Pre Season polls should be abolished and polls should just come out around as you said week 5 or 6.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:37 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,104 times
Quote:
kansas beat VA tech in their BCS bowl game didn't they? you make the claim that some schools play patsies, but what is a patsy? app. state is a more dangerous team than freaking UVA. give me a break. the pac 10 plays scrubs from other conferences. UCLA beat that oh so tough tennesse team in overtime. tennessee sucks. georgia kicked the crap out of arizona state in arizona. I have no problem with the conference not playing a championship game, but it does add to strength of schedule. my gators played hawaii, miami, and florida state out of conference this year. you know, miami and florida state, number 1 & 2 for producing NFL players. USC produces a lot of NFL draft picks, but most don't turn out to be NFL players. you have to deal with USC losing to a bad team, and I have to deal with the gators losing to a bad team.
And the obsession continues...

I don't have to deal with SC losing to a bad team. I'm not even a fan of SC. However, I'm also not obsessed with slapping down SC like you do every post you make about the Trojans. You claim SC produces horrible pros, so let's check the facts:

Fact- SC has had 162 Pro Bowl players- better than anyone
Fact- SC has has had 11 Pro Bowl Inductees- better than anyone
Fact- SC has had 486 NFL players since the merger
Fact- SC has had more pro players on the roster 17 of the last 30 years than any other school
Fact- SC has players on 21 of the 32 NFL teams
Fact- SC has had a player in the Super Bowl every year except three

It's funny, you seem to point out only the skill positions that you claim are terrible, yet you omit all the other SC starters in the NFL. You are so eager to claim players like Bush, White, the wide receivers are not as good as billed, yet, many still start IN THE NFL, but of course never mention Troy Polamalu, Junior Seau, Willie McGuinest, Lofa Tatupu, etc, that have/are pro bowlers. Hey, but you are right, those aforementioned players are not nearly as good as the really good NFL pros sucj as OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, Lynn Swann, wait, those are..well, they be Trojans! Must be that selective SEC memory, hey?

As far as strength of schedule and power of conferences, yep, you're right, the Pac-10 is not strong this year. The truth is in the pudding and the pudding has gone bad. At the start of the year the Pac had the strongest SOS, but it didn't pan out that way. You claim SC plays scrubs- the same scrubs the SEC plays every year. SC crushes those scrubs- where as so many SEC power teams squeak by. Now, I am a man of logic, so I will give you that those SEC scrubs play their conference opponents much tougher than they would against the top team from the Pac-10, but I will also give credit when credit is due. Say what you will about the Trojans, but deep down, if the Trojans played your Gators, the LSU Tigers, the GA Bulldogs, you know you would not be as overly confident as you are now.

Scrubs, huh? Yep, Hawai'i (is that the 3-4 Warriors with merciless wins over Weber State and LA Tech-one of the SEC's tough OCC opponents-which coincidently beat Miss St?), Miami (now, is that the once proud program that has fallen on tough times and sits at 3-3 with ruthless wins over UCF, powerhouse Charleston Southern, grrr, and oh, well all be, Florida State?), and of course FSU (I'm going to leave that one alone). Your argument is a bit flawed. You see, we know UT is garbage this year, but ASU is just as bad, and you are hooting about UGA's win over them. Well, no duh, the Sun Devils are 2-4, just like the Vols...equally terrible teams. You are right though, schedules are made years in advance. Who would have known SC would blow out Arkansas 2 straight years, and the Razorbacks would end up going to the SEC championship. I bet the Trojans were hoping for a patsy. I'm out.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
How do we in the Big XII play patsies? Oklahoma has the 3rd hardest schedule in the country. Texas has the 23th, Mizzu has the 18th, and those are strengths as of this week. Tell me Texas's isn't going to be a bit tougher after the next 3 weeks.

Also, the team that finished 2nd in the Pac-10 last year, Arizona St, played my Horns in the Holiday Bowl and lost 52-34. Kansas also won their bowl game over Va. Tech.

Im saying everyo confrence should either have a championship game or not. I think if we did that then we might not have had Ohio St. get into the National Championship games the past two year, and then we could have actually had a good game.
I was mainly talking about the SEC, but the Big XII looks great this year, but let's take a closer look at OCC schedules:

Patsy Check-

South Dakota State
Eastern Washington (2x)
Chattanooga
LA Tech
North Texas
Florida International
Arkansas State
San Jose State
SE Missouri State
Kent State
Northwestern State
Montana State
Buffalo
Sam Houston State
Rice
Army
LA-Lafayette
New Mexico State
Nevada

Didn't see too many tough OCC games the Big XII played- maybe Wake, FAU, Illinois, Wazzu, Iowa, UConn, UW Fuskies are the tough ones.

And please do not get the "SEC Mentality" that every conference game is a war so the Big XII needs to schedule easier teams. I do think both Texas and Oklahoma are great teams. Tech and Mizzou- the jury is still out, and KU and Okie State will fall soon.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,382 times
Believe me Im not going to get as big headed as the SEC fans I deal with every day. Im may have misread your post, I thought you were saying the Big XII was an okay conference, I think we are right up there with the SEC. Like anything else confrence have up and down years the Big XII is going up, the Pac 10 is down this season. It changes every season.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Believe me Im not going to get as big headed as the SEC fans I deal with every day. Im may have misread your post, I thought you were saying the Big XII was an okay conference, I think we are right up there with the SEC. Like anything else confrence have up and down years the Big XII is going up, the Pac 10 is down this season. It changes every season.
I think this year the Big XII is the best conference, followed by the SEC. The Pac-10 is way below those this year. USC is still better than many now believe, but my Ducks are hurting.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:21 AM

629 posts, read 3,302,332 times
I love reading these old post's! Who would have thought Alabama would be ranked as high in only Saban's second year?

I'm hoping for a Alabama vs. PennState Title game! Wouldn't that be classic! Let's end it with a goal line stand!

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football