U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,682,740 times
Reputation: 1024

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I think this year the Big XII is the best conference, followed by the SEC. The Pac-10 is way below those this year. USC is still better than many now believe, but my Ducks are hurting.

The team I find interesting is Penn St. Coming out of the Big Ten they have not played anyone yet, I am curious to see what they would do vs USC, Texas or Bama.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,025,614 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
The team I find interesting is Penn St. Coming out of the Big Ten they have not played anyone yet, I am curious to see what they would do vs USC, Texas or Bama.
Many of my friends here in Austin have a feeling if Texas can get into the NC, they may play JoePa and the Nittany Lions. I'm with you, I wonder what they would do against a fast team.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,025,614 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
I love reading these old post's! Who would have thought Alabama would be ranked as high in only Saban's second year?

I'm hoping for a Alabama vs. PennState Title game! Wouldn't that be classic! Let's end it with a goal line stand!





ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!
My good friend teaches college in Alabama and is a die hard Tide fan. She is going ape-s**t this year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,382,305 times
Reputation: 835
if they haven't played anyone yet, then neither has USC because penn state destroyed oregon state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
The team I find interesting is Penn St. Coming out of the Big Ten they have not played anyone yet, I am curious to see what they would do vs USC, Texas or Bama.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,382,305 times
Reputation: 835
yes, USC beat arkansas, which made them as good as the other 4 teams that beat them that year. quick to point out that florida played hawaii, but quick to cover up the two pac-10 teams that play hawaii this year. debates are usually better when you include accurate information. florida state is 5-1 and they beat miami. were you watching another game?

you have helped me to understand the greatness of USC. in order to be great at USC, you must murder your wife and a waiter.

the proof is in the pudding. here is the proof. I got tired of counting all those SEC champions. thank you bear bryant. I could spout off some SEC greats, but it's common knowledge. the top rusher of all time is a gator.


NCAA Division I FBS National Football Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
And the obsession continues...

I don't have to deal with SC losing to a bad team. I'm not even a fan of SC. However, I'm also not obsessed with slapping down SC like you do every post you make about the Trojans. You claim SC produces horrible pros, so let's check the facts:

Fact- SC has had 162 Pro Bowl players- better than anyone
Fact- SC has has had 11 Pro Bowl Inductees- better than anyone
Fact- SC has had 486 NFL players since the merger
Fact- SC has had more pro players on the roster 17 of the last 30 years than any other school
Fact- SC has players on 21 of the 32 NFL teams
Fact- SC has had a player in the Super Bowl every year except three

It's funny, you seem to point out only the skill positions that you claim are terrible, yet you omit all the other SC starters in the NFL. You are so eager to claim players like Bush, White, the wide receivers are not as good as billed, yet, many still start IN THE NFL, but of course never mention Troy Polamalu, Junior Seau, Willie McGuinest, Lofa Tatupu, etc, that have/are pro bowlers. Hey, but you are right, those aforementioned players are not nearly as good as the really good NFL pros sucj as OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, Lynn Swann, wait, those are..well, they be Trojans! Must be that selective SEC memory, hey?

As far as strength of schedule and power of conferences, yep, you're right, the Pac-10 is not strong this year. The truth is in the pudding and the pudding has gone bad. At the start of the year the Pac had the strongest SOS, but it didn't pan out that way. You claim SC plays scrubs- the same scrubs the SEC plays every year. SC crushes those scrubs- where as so many SEC power teams squeak by. Now, I am a man of logic, so I will give you that those SEC scrubs play their conference opponents much tougher than they would against the top team from the Pac-10, but I will also give credit when credit is due. Say what you will about the Trojans, but deep down, if the Trojans played your Gators, the LSU Tigers, the GA Bulldogs, you know you would not be as overly confident as you are now.

Scrubs, huh? Yep, Hawai'i (is that the 3-4 Warriors with merciless wins over Weber State and LA Tech-one of the SEC's tough OCC opponents-which coincidently beat Miss St?), Miami (now, is that the once proud program that has fallen on tough times and sits at 3-3 with ruthless wins over UCF, powerhouse Charleston Southern, grrr, and oh, well all be, Florida State?), and of course FSU (I'm going to leave that one alone). Your argument is a bit flawed. You see, we know UT is garbage this year, but ASU is just as bad, and you are hooting about UGA's win over them. Well, no duh, the Sun Devils are 2-4, just like the Vols...equally terrible teams. You are right though, schedules are made years in advance. Who would have known SC would blow out Arkansas 2 straight years, and the Razorbacks would end up going to the SEC championship. I bet the Trojans were hoping for a patsy. I'm out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,025,614 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
yes, USC beat arkansas, which made them as good as the other 4 teams that beat them that year. quick to point out that florida played hawaii, but quick to cover up the two pac-10 teams that play hawaii this year. debates are usually better when you include accurate information. florida state is 5-1 and they beat miami. were you watching another game?

you have helped me to understand the greatness of USC. in order to be great at USC, you must murder your wife and a waiter.

the proof is in the pudding. here is the proof. I got tired of counting all those SEC champions. thank you bear bryant. I could spout off some SEC greats, but it's common knowledge. the top rusher of all time is a gator.


NCAA Division I FBS National Football Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, not murder your wife, but organized armed robbery and kidnapping, geez! Hey,I never said the SEC doesn't produce athletes and NFL stars. I also did not say SC has garbage players that do not do well in the pros. Top rusher or not, the facts I stated remain. Plain and simple. Didn't Bear Bryant parade Sam "Bam" Cunningham into the Bama locker room after SC worked the Tide and tell his players, "Now, this is a football player." Yep, me thinks he did.

Don't know why I typed FSU, I meant A&M, who lost to Arkansas State. No matter, the Seminoles are dirt too, regardless of their 5-1 record over weak teams. Who cares if other Pac-10 teams play Hawaii, they are still garbage.

The debate was never if the SEC has more championships, that is not disputed, better thank Bama. The debate was if USC has had good NFL athletes, a fact you clearly and naively do not see. Oh well.

Last edited by Acuda; 10-18-2008 at 03:54 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,382,305 times
Reputation: 835
I never said that, I just said that USC has overrated athletes. I stand by that assumption. miami and florida state have the most pros in the NFL. look at running back. frank gore, edgerin james, clinton portis, and willis mcgahee. I think miami has the best athletes, they just must not be well coached. I saw a statistic the other day about some of the great players that maryland has produced in the NFL. if you look at the link of college champs, it wasn't all bear bryant. all those SEC teams won, but some of them were probably before the SEC was formed. my only point and argument is this. the SEC is the best conference top to bottom, USC is usually overrated, and they don't produce the best pros. that is the only point I tried to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
No, not murder your wife, but organized armed robbery and kidnapping, geez! Hey,I never said the SEC doesn't produce athletes and NFL stars. I also did not say SC has garbage players that do not do well in the pros. Top rusher or not, the facts I stated remain. Plain and simple. Didn't Bear Bryant parade Sam "Bam" Cunningham into the Bama locker room after SC worked the Tide and tell his players, "Now, this is a football player." Yep, me thinks he did.

Don't know why I typed FSU, I meant A&M, who lost to Arkansas State. No matter, the Seminoles are dirt too, regardless of their 5-1 record over weak teams. Who cares if other Pac-10 teams play Hawaii, they are still garbage.

The debate was never if the SEC has more championships, that is not disputed, better thank Bama. The debate was if USC has had good NFL athletes, a fact you clearly and naively do not see. Oh well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,682,740 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
if they haven't played anyone yet, then neither has USC because penn state destroyed oregon state.
You think Penn St. can play with USC?

I can see teams like Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, USC getting screwed out of a chance to play in the National Championship because once again the Big Ten team is ranked high. Yea lets see another year where a team that DOES NOT deserve to be in the game gets blown out.

Here are some of the teams around Penn St in the polls and their strength of schedule up to this week:

Texas 26th
Bama 46th
Oklahoma 3rd
USC 14th
Georgia 19th

Then you have teams like
Penn St 72nd
Texas Tech 93rd
BYU 106th
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,382,305 times
Reputation: 835
this is why I advocate a playoff system. the hands are tied. if penn state is undefeated, and there is a one loss SEC or big 12 team, they will play for it. the BCS sucks. I would rather take the champs of each conference and have like a sweet 16 type deal. I think that would be much more fun. let the lesser teams play in the NIT bowls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
You think Penn St. can play with USC?

I can see teams like Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, USC getting screwed out of a chance to play in the National Championship because once again the Big Ten team is ranked high. Yea lets see another year where a team that DOES NOT deserve to be in the game gets blown out.

Here are some of the teams around Penn St in the polls and their strength of schedule up to this week:

Texas 26th
Bama 46th
Oklahoma 3rd
USC 14th
Georgia 19th

Then you have teams like
Penn St 72nd
Texas Tech 93rd
BYU 106th
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,682,740 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
this is why I advocate a playoff system. the hands are tied. if penn state is undefeated, and there is a one loss SEC or big 12 team, they will play for it. the BCS sucks. I would rather take the champs of each conference and have like a sweet 16 type deal. I think that would be much more fun. let the lesser teams play in the NIT bowls!

Hey I would LOVE a playoff could you imagine the fun of that. The basketball tourney is fun but a college football one OH MAN.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top