U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:03 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,056,192 times

Advertisements

I thnik taht the BCS is alot better than it use to be. I mean how many national championships has USC won by playing in teh rosebowl that was not that good a game.At leasst the #1 team has to play the #2 team now. Too many times weak conferences have named a champion by then playing only one ranked tem in the bowl game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,365,598 times
the BCS is better than what they used to have. back in the day, the big 10 and pac 10 used to hide behind the rose bowl and not play the best teams. playoff system would still be the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik taht the BCS is alot better than it use to be. I mean how many national championships has USC won by playing in teh rosebowl that was not that good a game.At leasst the #1 team has to play the #2 team now. Too many times weak conferences have named a champion by then playing only one ranked tem in the bowl game.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,021,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the BCS is better than what they used to have. back in the day, the big 10 and pac 10 used to hide behind the rose bowl and not play the best teams. playoff system would still be the best!
As opposed to the SEC, Big 12/SWC tie-ins which have always been in place too?

The obsession continues...

Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,676,173 times
Why are we fighting over the past? Lets all just hope we have the teams who deserve to be in the BCS games get in. I cant take another blow out in the National Championship game.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Why are we fighting over the past? Lets all just hope we have the teams who deserve to be in the BCS games get in. I cant take another blow out in the National Championship game.
I'll tell one thing, UT looked tough to beat last night. I would like to see UT vs. USC.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:08 AM

those teams were never forced to play against another conference. remember when michigan split with nebraska? michigan got to play a horrible washington state team, and nebraska had to play the #3 team. nebraska killed tennessee, and michigan barely beat washington state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
As opposed to the SEC, Big 12/SWC tie-ins which have always been in place too?

The obsession continues...

Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
those teams were never forced to play against another conference. remember when michigan split with nebraska? michigan got to play a horrible washington state team, and nebraska had to play the #3 team. nebraska killed tennessee, and michigan barely beat washington state.
Southern bowl games rarely invited Western teams to play in them. In fact, only once has the Sugar Bowl had a West Coast team in it, St Mary's in 1946? The SEC had a tie-in with the Sugar Bowl. Same with the other bowl games. They have all had some tie-in or another.

The Pac-10 and Big 10 have historically played against each other, but not always. Tennessee, Alabama, SMU, Nebraska, Duke, Navy, Tulane, Pittsburgh have all played in the Rose Bowl Game. Overall, every bowl game has their tie-ins and teams they will and will not invite. It is all about money sadly.

I do agree that we need a playoff system.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 AM

the only problem with a playoff system that includes the champs of each conference, is what to do with notre dame. would it force them to join a conference? I think it should be a prerequisite that you win your conference to play in a playoff.

Quote:
Southern bowl games rarely invited Western teams to play in them. In fact, only once has the Sugar Bowl had a West Coast team in it, St Mary's in 1946? The SEC had a tie-in with the Sugar Bowl. Same with the other bowl games. They have all had some tie-in or another.

The Pac-10 and Big 10 have historically played against each other, but not always. Tennessee, Alabama, SMU, Nebraska, Duke, Navy, Tulane, Pittsburgh have all played in the Rose Bowl Game. Overall, every bowl game has their tie-ins and teams they will and will not invite. It is all about money sadly.

I do agree that we need a playoff system.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
the only problem with a playoff system that includes the champs of each conference, is what to do with notre dame. would it force them to join a conference? I think it should be a prerequisite that you win your conference to play in a playoff.
Agreed. Or we can just ignore them. I think we can agree to that, hey?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 AM

I don't like notre dame, but they have a ton of tradition. I think it is bad for college football when they suck. I hate michigan, but don't like watching them lose to bad teams. I watched the gators suck under ron zook. it was freaking depressing.

Quote:
Agreed. Or we can just ignore them. I think we can agree to that, hey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football