Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,544 times

Advertisements

Penn state over bama. Texas will lose in the next five games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,435 times
I think everyone should either play a conference championship game or not. It isn't fair for teams like Bama and Texas to play another game while guys like USC and Penn St don't have to play that one extra game. So what would happen if Texas or Bama went undeafted through their schedule but lost in the Confrence Champ game? Would they still get that BCS game?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:54 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I think everyone should either play a conference championship game or not. It isn't fair for teams like Bama and Texas to play another game while guys like USC and Penn St don't have to play that one extra game. So what would happen if Texas or Bama went undeafted through their schedule but lost in the Confrence Champ game? Would they still get that BCS game?
OU did in 2003.
I think what matters most is who is 3rd or 4th in the rankings and their record. If lets say USC wins out, and so does Texas, with Texas losing the Big 12 CG to lets say a 2 loss Mizzou. I would have a hard time saying USC would deserve to jump Texas. I'm not saying that it wouldnt happen though. The BCS is a strange animal.

I also think the reason the PAC10 doesnt have CG is because each team plays every other team in the conf. during the regular season. It's tough to beat the same team twice in one season.

On that note I do agree with you that each conf should play a CG game. Its lame that they get away with playing one less tough game than the rest of the NCAA.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 10-15-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 12:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoerdt View Post
Penn state over bama. Texas will lose in the next five games
Way to step out on a limb halfway through the season

Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
OU did in 2003.
I think what matters most is who is 3rd or 4th in the rankings and their record. If lets say USC wins out, and so does Texas, with Texas losing the Big 12 CG to lets say a 2 loss Mizzou. I would have a hard time saying USC would deserve to jump Texas. I'm not saying that it wouldnt happen though. The BCS is a strange animal.

I also think the reason the PAC10 doesnt have CG is because each team plays every other team in the conf. during the regular season. It's tough to beat the same team twice in one season.

On that note I do agree with you that each conf should play a CG game. Its lame that they get away with playing one less tough game than the rest of the NCAA.
Keep in mind though, the Pac-10 plays every Pac-10 team every year. There would be no room to play a championship. Why would the Pac need to? They play everyone, so there is already a true champion (unless there are ties). Everyone goes on and on about conference championships and how tough they are, yet you get teams like Kansas last year who didn't even play the tough teams in the Big XII (Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech)-they were a very overrated team & still are. The SEC is the same way in terms of not playing every team. Instead of the Pac-10 implementing a championship, why doesn't other conferences try and evenly schedule more of the conference teams and not load up on patsies. However, I think some of those conferences are just too big to play all of the teams.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Keep in mind though, the Pac-10 plays every Pac-10 team every year. There would be no room to play a championship. Why would the Pac need to? They play everyone, so there is already a true champion (unless there are ties). Everyone goes on and on about conference championships and how tough they are, yet you get teams like Kansas last year who didn't even play the tough teams in the Big XII (Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech)-they were a very overrated team & still are. The SEC is the same way in terms of not playing every team. Instead of the Pac-10 implementing a championship, why doesn't other conferences try and evenly schedule more of the conference teams and not load up on patsies. However, I think some of those conferences are just too big to play all of the teams.

How do we in the Big XII play patsies? Oklahoma has the 3rd hardest schedule in the country. Texas has the 23th, Mizzu has the 18th, and those are strengths as of this week. Tell me Texas's isn't going to be a bit tougher after the next 3 weeks.

Also, the team that finished 2nd in the Pac-10 last year, Arizona St, played my Horns in the Holiday Bowl and lost 52-34. Kansas also won their bowl game over Va. Tech.

Im saying everyo confrence should either have a championship game or not. I think if we did that then we might not have had Ohio St. get into the National Championship games the past two year, and then we could have actually had a good game.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Im saying everyo confrence should either have a championship game or not. I think if we did that then we might not have had Ohio St. get into the National Championship games the past two year, and then we could have actually had a good game.
Unless they changed the rule, the NCAA forbids any conference with fewer than 12 teams to play a championship. Big Ten is one team short of that, and therefore not allowed per NCAA rules.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Unless they changed the rule, the NCAA forbids any conference with fewer than 12 teams to play a championship. Big Ten is one team short of that, and therefore not allowed per NCAA rules.
I did not know that, I guess that would answer my question.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,476 times
Quote:
I did not know that, I guess that would answer my question.
That was part of the reason the ACC realigned and added BC, Miami and V-Tech. They wanted a conference championship to get more $$$.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
kansas beat VA tech in their BCS bowl game didn't they? you make the claim that some schools play patsies, but what is a patsy? app. state is a more dangerous team than freaking UVA. give me a break. the pac 10 plays scrubs from other conferences. UCLA beat that oh so tough tennesse team in overtime. tennessee sucks. georgia kicked the crap out of arizona state in arizona. I have no problem with the conference not playing a championship game, but it does add to strength of schedule. my gators played hawaii, miami, and florida state out of conference this year. you know, miami and florida state, number 1 & 2 for producing NFL players. USC produces a lot of NFL draft picks, but most don't turn out to be NFL players. you have to deal with USC losing to a bad team, and I have to deal with the gators losing to a bad team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football