U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Is The More Successful Footbal Conference?
Pac 10 1 5.00%
SEC 15 75.00%
Other (Specify) 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 890,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
by "top" SEC team, are you referring to the team picked to finish at best 5th? LSU, florida, georgia, and auburn are all picked ahead of them. south carolina could also finish ahead of them, and after the way alabama played, they could too. sorry, your assessment is incorrect. I would guess that tennessee will finish around 6th-7th in the conference.
Beat me by two minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 890,634 times
Check it out................

Pipeline to the NFL? Big states, schools are key - USATODAY.com

Quote:
The SEC leads all conferences in draft picks (754) and first-round picks (118). Three of the past four national champions are from the conference.

Steve Spurrier spent 12 years as the Florida head coach and now is preparing for his fourth season at South Carolina. Still, he can't say with certainty the best football is played in the SEC.

"But I do know where the largest stadiums are and biggest fan interest is. That's in the SEC," Spurrier says.

"Maybe because of the largest stadiums and greatest fans, that's why the top players in the country want to play in the SEC."

Last season, the SEC led all conferences in average attendance per game (75,139), nearly 4,000 more per game than the Big Ten.

SEC programs generate significant revenue, which yields ample resources — well-paid coaches, large recruiting budgets and state-of-the-art facilities.

"A lot of people in this league make a big financial commitment to their programs," Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer says. "It's important to SEC fans and alumni."

But resources alone don't create NFL players. Talent and coaching are key.
Since 1988, Tennessee has produced 120 NFL draft picks — never more than 10 in one draft and never fewer than two. "It gets back to recruiting and the evaluation process," Fulmer says.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,356,646 times
also, how many head coaches in the SEC have won a national championship? I think it's 5. les miles, steve spurrier, urban myer, phillip fulmer, and nick sabin.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,844,862 times
Dude..... PAC10 talk is just plain crazy talk. SEC has LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia and on and on and on. Even at the bottom, UK and Vandy are pretty good. Looking at the PAC10, who would match up with that list other than USC, Arizona, Arizona State and maybe Oregon? I am not even a SEC guy, and I say it's the best conference right now.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:37 PM

pac-10 fans like to hollar about east coast biased. yet they never mention the year auburn was undefeated and not even considered for playing in the NC game because USC and oklahoma played in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Dude..... PAC10 talk is just plain crazy talk. SEC has LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia and on and on and on. Even at the bottom, UK and Vandy are pretty good. Looking at the PAC10, who would match up with that list other than USC, Arizona, Arizona State and maybe Oregon? I am not even a SEC guy, and I say it's the best conference right now.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,018,551 times
Quote:
pac-10 fans like to hollar about east coast biased. yet they never mention the year auburn was undefeated and not even considered for playing in the NC game because USC and oklahoma played in the game.
Ah yes, the infamous undefeated Auburn team. I will first state that I am a Pac-10, Oregon Duck fan who went to UO for undergrad school and UT-Knoxville for Grad. School. I have seen both conferences play in person both home and away. I will also state that I do believe the SEC is better overall than the Pac-10, but the gap is narrowing.

If we look objectively, the SEC is a war zone. IMO, they have Florida, Georgia, and LSU who are consistent Top 5-10 teams and NC contenders year in, year out.

Auburn and Tennessee are Top 20 teams with years in the Top 10 (or National Championship years).

Alabama is a former power trying to regain it's dominance (time will tell and no Clemson is not a great fb team). Arkansas, South Carolina are potential Top 25 teams, but no higher than 15.

Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss. State have occasional good years, but it is very rare in this day of football.

Vandy is horrible, always has been, always will be. They have had a losing record for over 20 years.

The Pac-10 has USC. They are an NFL talent producing giant. IMO they would beat the SEC's top teams 6-7 times out of 10.

Oregon, Arizona State, California are Top 20 teams. They are inconsistent, but when they are on, they are on. Oregon, is getting better and better. If anyone follows recruiting, then you'd know a lot of the top talent is looking at them. The Ducks may not land all that top talent, but 5 years ago, they would not have been in the same sentence as USC, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, etc. I believe UO will win a NC soon. Uncle Phil and Nike would have it no other way.

fUCLA gets talent, but haven't been able to get it going. Top 25 team some years with potential to be much better Time will tell. Oregon State utilizes the talent they get, but they usually are not good.

UW, Wazzu, Stanford all are terrible now. UW has potential being in Seattle and having history, but they are garbage now. Stanford may begin to rise out of the darkness, but it is difficult to get in (Vandy might have tough stadards as well?)

SEC has more championships without a doubt and that is the reason I believe they are better than the Pac.

However, head to head the last 16 meetings, the Pac leads the SEC 10-6. Take away USC and I believe it is still tied 6-6. Take away LSU, the SEC's consistently top team the last few years and the Pac leads 6-4.

So far, Vandu beating S. Carolina is laughable. fUCLA beating UT is equally laughable considering the Bruins were playing their 3rd string qb who threw 4, count 'em, 4 picks in the first. fUCLA is not good. I do not believe the SEC plays well out west. They rarely come out of the South. Big props to UT and Georgia for agreeing to play out here. UGA should beat ASU though.

The Auburn team got robbed. They should have been in, not Oklahoma. OU got destroyed by USC (55-19?). IMO, Auburn would have lost by only 2 tds against SC. They lost the year before 23-0 with Campbell, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams in the back field and Sc's defense was even better the next year.

But, in the end, I'd take the NCs. Hopefully, one day the Ducks will get one.

Last edited by Acuda; 09-06-2008 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 PM

it all goes in cycles. right now, top to bottom, the SEC is better. you could go back to other years, where top to bottom, the pac-10 was better.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:45 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,018,551 times
Quote:
it all goes in cycles. right now, top to bottom, the SEC is better. you could go back to other years, where top to bottom, the pac-10 was better.
You are so right! With so much talent out there, there is much more parity nowadays.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:30 PM

there is so much talent out there. where I think the SEC has the advantage right now, is with the coaches. the SEC has great coaching depth, and those coaches have a lot of success. by the way, oregon looked impressive today. if dixon didn't go down last year, it might have been a different season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
You are so right! With so much talent out there, there is much more parity nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football