U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:37 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,543,145 times

Advertisements

Boomer Sooner!!!!

They are firing on ALL cylinders!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:02 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Hey, Auburn fan here. While I'm certainly glad to have the win, I want to apologize for that God-awful excuse for a football game. 3-2? Are you kidding me? 3-2? I know we have a killer defense that's only allowed 13 points in three games, but 3-2? Criminee.

All I have to say is that I hope the offense is getting a major tuneup in time to play LSU on Saturday, or else I'm going to be major league embarrassed. I mean more embarrassed than I already am. 3-2 indeed.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 PM

142 posts, read 472,500 times
Are you kidding me??? That USC victory over Oklahoma was a thrashing and in no way tainted!!! Even with Auburn being 13-0. They would've suffered the same fate as Oklahoma, they were just lucky not to play USC, so they could still claim an unbeated season. If you recall USC whipped Auburn too in the first game of the previous year.

[QUOTE=jmarquise; USC has one BCS championship. not sure what all the hype is about. they won in 2004, and even that win was tainted as auburn went 13-0 that year.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
yes, I recall that #1 USC beat auburn that year 23-0. then auburn went on to lose to georgia tech, LSU, ole miss, and georgia. seems to me like they were a lot better the following year. also, the year before a weak auburn team lost by 7 to USC in LA. a team that finished 9-4. you can't say they would have crushed auburn because they never played. I recall USC being beat by 1 player though. never seen that before.

[quote=SoCalif;5277803]Are you kidding me??? That USC victory over Oklahoma was a thrashing and in no way tainted!!! Even with Auburn being 13-0. They would've suffered the same fate as Oklahoma, they were just lucky not to play USC, so they could still claim an unbeated season. If you recall USC whipped Auburn too in the first game of the previous year.

[quote=jmarquise; USC has one BCS championship. not sure what all the hype is about. they won in 2004, and even that win was tainted as auburn went 13-0 that year.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-15-2008, 02:32 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
[quote=SoCalif;5277803]Are you kidding me??? That USC victory over Oklahoma was a thrashing and in no way tainted!!! Even with Auburn being 13-0. They would've suffered the same fate as Oklahoma, they were just lucky not to play USC, so they could still claim an unbeated season. If you recall USC whipped Auburn too in the first game of the previous year.

[quote=jmarquise; USC has one BCS championship. not sure what all the hype is about. they won in 2004, and even that win was tainted as auburn went 13-0 that year.[/QUOTE]

What happens at the beginning of one season has absolutely nothing to do with what happens at the end of the following season. Surely you've been around college football longer than one season, or else you'd know that. Auburn made the mistake of promoting an offensive line coach to offensive coordinator, and his debut was against USC, with predictable results. The next year, Auburn had a different coordinator and went 13-0. So there you go.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM

As did USC and Oklahoma go 12-0 leading up to the bowl games. But the human polls, and more importantly the BCS computer poll deemed Auburn not good enough to play in the BCS game. SO USC beats up on Oklahoma, to win the BCS outright and go 13-0, no tainting there. Unlike the LSU BCS championship game when the human polls all had USC #1, and the commputer poll had us #3. So we just quipped up on Michigan in the Rose Bowl, and got the AP National Championship.

[quote=cpg35223;5278592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalif View Post
Are you kidding me??? That USC victory over Oklahoma was a thrashing and in no way tainted!!! Even with Auburn being 13-0. They would've suffered the same fate as Oklahoma, they were just lucky not to play USC, so they could still claim an unbeated season. If you recall USC whipped Auburn too in the first game of the previous year.

What happens at the beginning of one season has absolutely nothing to do with what happens at the end of the following season. Surely you've been around college football longer than one season, or else you'd know that. Auburn made the mistake of promoting an offensive line coach to offensive coordinator, and his debut was against USC, with predictable results. The next year, Auburn had a different coordinator and went 13-0. So there you go.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:28 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
there is no such thing as an AP national championship. we only go by the BCS. I will call is tainted only because auburn plays in a major conference and it's hard to go undefeated in the SEC. utah, boise state, those are different stories. USC is a good team, but in the end, you have to win week in and week out. that is always the challenge. USC can be the most talented team year in and year out, without the championship, it's all for none. the yankees are talent rich to, but you need the wins. I personally want a playoff.

[quote=SoCalif;5278968]As did USC and Oklahoma go 12-0 leading up to the bowl games. But the human polls, and more importantly the BCS computer poll deemed Auburn not good enough to play in the BCS game. SO USC beats up on Oklahoma, to win the BCS outright and go 13-0, no tainting there. Unlike the LSU BCS championship game when the human polls all had USC #1, and the commputer poll had us #3. So we just quipped up on Michigan in the Rose Bowl, and got the AP National Championship.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM

I'll give you the SEC is a strong conference. And I whole heartedly agree with you as far as having a playoff. Can you imagine the money to be made!! Plus there would be no controversy on who's the national champion. But as far as this year, the only team I think can beat SC, is SC themselves. Other then that Texas loss in the BCS game, they've won all the "big" games they've played in the last 5 years, or since Carson Palmer. It's the non big games where they have there let down.

[quote=jmarquise;5279518]there is no such thing as an AP national championship. we only go by the BCS. I will call is tainted only because auburn plays in a major conference and it's hard to go undefeated in the SEC. utah, boise state, those are different stories. USC is a good team, but in the end, you have to win week in and week out. that is always the challenge. USC can be the most talented team year in and year out, without the championship, it's all for none. the yankees are talent rich to, but you need the wins. I personally want a playoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalif View Post
As did USC and Oklahoma go 12-0 leading up to the bowl games. But the human polls, and more importantly the BCS computer poll deemed Auburn not good enough to play in the BCS game. SO USC beats up on Oklahoma, to win the BCS outright and go 13-0, no tainting there. Unlike the LSU BCS championship game when the human polls all had USC #1, and the commputer poll had us #3. So we just quipped up on Michigan in the Rose Bowl, and got the AP National Championship.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:22 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,671,396 times
First I will admit again I am a Texas fan so I am bias. However I think we have a shot to beat OU as both teams usually play each other well. If Texas doesnt do it, if OU has to play MIzzu I can see them losing. Chase Daniels is a dang good QB who is putting up crazy numbers, that would be a great game to see.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
[quote=SoCalif;5279652]I'll give you the SEC is a strong conference. And I whole heartedly agree with you as far as having a playoff. Can you imagine the money to be made!! Plus there would be no controversy on who's the national champion. But as far as this year, the only team I think can beat SC, is SC themselves. Other then that Texas loss in the BCS game, they've won all the "big" games they've played in the last 5 years, or since Carson Palmer. It's the non big games where they have there let down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
there is no such thing as an AP national championship. we only go by the BCS. I will call is tainted only because auburn plays in a major conference and it's hard to go undefeated in the SEC. utah, boise state, those are different stories. USC is a good team, but in the end, you have to win week in and week out. that is always the challenge. USC can be the most talented team year in and year out, without the championship, it's all for none. the yankees are talent rich to, but you need the wins. I personally want a playoff.
Yep. In 2005, I also remember Vince Young throwing a td on his knees. I also remember Reggie Bush lateraling the ball forward at the 5 yard line and the Horns recovering it. I also remember USC playing with 3/4 of their dbs being sophomores or younger. Strange things happened in that NC game that had me, an avid SC hater wondering WTF?

Now, I can care less about SC, but there is no way IMO SC would have lost to Auburn in 2004. In fact, SC beat VaTech 24-13 in a very pedestrian first week. Yet, AU somewhat struggled, and I believe had to hang on to win 16-13 against that same VaTech team at the end of the year when the Tigers were rolling. In fact, VT had better stats than AU, and contained that pro backfield to 110 on the ground. Now, I am a rationalist, pure and simple. AU lost to SC 23-0 the year before. Auburn was ranked #6 and it was at Jordan-Hare. They had the same backfield as they did in 2003; Campbell (pro), Brown (pro), Williams (pro). Who cares if AU had a different coordinator? That offense was still really good and SC shut them down. Besides, Matt Leinart was making his first start after Carson Palmer, on the road in a big bad SEC stadium against a TOP 10 team. The following year, 2004, SC's defense was even better and their offense was the best it ever was. So, looking at that, I have NO DOUBT the Trojans would have beat them.

You are right though, no one will ever know what would have happened had SC met Auburn in that championship game. But, it matters not, SC has the hardware and no one can dispute the fact that they crushed Oklahoma 55-19 to win it. Besides, no one takes Oregon seriously when we state we should have been playing against Miami in the 2001 NC when we were jumped by Nebraska, a team who did not win their division, despite having Joey Harrington, Maurice Morris, Sammie Parker, Rashad Bauman, Onterrio Smith, Justin Peelle, Igor Olshanski, Steve Smith, George Wrightster, Tim Day (all on that team, all eventual pros) and kicking in Colorado 38-16 in the Fiesta Bowl. So, I can careless about an AU team that got beat down by SC the year before. I'm sure it would have happened again. Now, maybe AU could have played Oklahoma in a good match up, but SC...no way in h**l!

Last edited by Acuda; 09-15-2008 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football