U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2008, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 33,584,829 times
Reputation: 5566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
arkansas blows. they are 2-3 right now. they had 2 good running backs, but not an elite defense.
I thought every team in the SEC was a powerhouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,370,165 times
Reputation: 835
a powerhouse? who ever said that? what has been said about them is that they are the best conference top to bottom. I wouldn't worry about how good the SEC is. oklahoma is a good team but they have lost to the big east and the WAC in consecutive bowls.

oh, and my thread answered its own question.

no, the big 12 does not play defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I thought every team in the SEC was a powerhouse?

Last edited by jmarquise; 10-11-2008 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,678,200 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
a powerhouse? who ever said that? what has been said about them is that they are the best conference top to bottom. I wouldn't worry about how good the SEC is. oklahoma is a good team but they have lost to the big east and the WAC in consecutive bowls.

oh, and my thread answered its own question.

no, the big 12 does not play defense.
Okay but who is to say an SEC defense could stop a big XII offense?
Texas rolled up 52 on Colorado, the same Colorado team that just beat Auburn. Say what you want but having the best QB's in the country makes your team pretty good. I hope that if it isn't Texas one of the teams in the Big XII plays and SEC team in the National Champ game so we can show the SEC isn't unbeatable as they act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,370,165 times
Reputation: 835
sorry, but those big 12 QB's are all system QB's. I can't think of the last big 12 QB that has enjoyed success in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Okay but who is to say an SEC defense could stop a big XII offense?
Texas rolled up 52 on Colorado, the same Colorado team that just beat Auburn. Say what you want but having the best QB's in the country makes your team pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Central Nebraska
1,821 posts, read 4,644,750 times
Reputation: 5065
Packersnut21, I think you meant Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 33,584,829 times
Reputation: 5566
The SEC is constantly being cast as a "powerhouse" by everyone in the media, yet when they lose a game to the Big XII, they say "it was just Arkansas."

Man up!

And, props to Texas for beating OU. Texas is a good team; they could probably beat every team in the SEC "top to bottom."

OU could probably do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,370,165 times
Reputation: 835
so you are an SEC hater. missouri was able to do what no other SEC team could do. beat arkansas. well, no other team besides alabama, kentucky, auburn, and tennessee. yes, an 8-4 team matched up with an 11-2 team. that's a top 10 team vs. an unranked team. kind of a lopsided match up. georgia beat oklahoma state last year 35-14. man up!!! they are cast as a powerhouse by the experts, and neither you or I are experts. oklahoma and missouri belong out of the top 10. reenter georgia and florida. I would have loved to have seen either florida or LSU play against the small 12 for the NC during the last two years but there was a problem. the small 12 wasn't good enough. the small 12 champs got squashed by the big east and the WAC. that's embarrassing. getting crushed by mid major conferences. better hope oklahoma doesn't have to play in a bowl against ball state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The SEC is constantly being cast as a "powerhouse" by everyone in the media, yet when they lose a game to the Big XII, they say "it was just Arkansas."

Man up!

And, props to Texas for beating OU. Texas is a good team; they could probably beat every team in the SEC "top to bottom."

OU could probably do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,678,200 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
so you are an SEC hater. missouri was able to do what no other SEC team could do. beat arkansas. well, no other team besides alabama, kentucky, auburn, and tennessee. yes, an 8-4 team matched up with an 11-2 team. that's a top 10 team vs. an unranked team. kind of a lopsided match up. georgia beat oklahoma state last year 35-14. man up!!! they are cast as a powerhouse by the experts, and neither you or I are experts. oklahoma and missouri belong out of the top 10. reenter georgia and florida. I would have loved to have seen either florida or LSU play against the small 12 for the NC during the last two years but there was a problem. the small 12 wasn't good enough. the small 12 champs got squashed by the big east and the WAC. that's embarrassing. getting crushed by mid major conferences. better hope oklahoma doesn't have to play in a bowl against ball state.
tpabes, your right I meant Arkansas.

Oklahoma lost to Texas the #5 team in the land. Georgia belongs back in, why? they gave up 30 something point to Bama AT HOME. Also this isn't last season this is THIS season. Im sorry I have to laugh when you call our QB's system QB's. Have you looked at Florida QB's in the NFL? Rex Grossman, Wurrfel, How about Leak. I mean thats a list of pro bowlers right there.

Fact is all this doesn't matter. If Texas and Bama can win out, we will let our play do the talking. I bet the SEC wont be so high and mighty.

Last edited by Packersnut21; 10-12-2008 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,370,165 times
Reputation: 835
oh I'm guessing it will. facts are facts. the big 12 champ has lost two consecutive BCS bowl games to pathetic conferences. I wasn't saying that florida QB's weren't system QB's. I was talking about the entire SEC. seems to be that the mannings are pretty good SEC NFL QB's. the SEC has been doing their talking in the NC game for two years in a row, and that will continue this year. georgia belongs back in because missou lost, lsu lost, and oklahoma lost. am I missing anyone? I am pretty sure that they were #10, so logic would indicate that after 3 teams fall, they would be back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
tpabes, your right I meant Arkansas.

Oklahoma lost to Texas the #5 team in the land. Georgia belongs back in, why? they gave up 30 something point to Bama AT HOME. Also this isn't last season this is THIS season. Im sorry I have to laugh when you call our QB's system QB's. Have you looked at Florida QB's in the NFL? Rex Grossman, Wurrfel, How about Leak. I mean thats a list of pro bowlers right there.

Fact is all this doesn't matter. If Texas and Bama can win out, we will let our play do the talking. I bet the SEC wont be so high and mighty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,678,200 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
oh I'm guessing it will. facts are facts. the big 12 champ has lost two consecutive BCS bowl games to pathetic conferences. I wasn't saying that florida QB's weren't system QB's. I was talking about the entire SEC. seems to be that the mannings are pretty good SEC NFL QB's. the SEC has been doing their talking in the NC game for two years in a row, and that will continue this year. georgia belongs back in because missou lost, lsu lost, and oklahoma lost. am I missing anyone? I am pretty sure that they were #10, so logic would indicate that after 3 teams fall, they would be back in.
You say the SEC has doing its business in the NC game. Well when you play an Ohio St team that doesn't belong there I would hope you would win.

You fail to take in account that despite teams losing other teams win so why wouldn't a team with no losses jump a team with one loss. In today's AP poll here is 1-10

1) Texas
2) Bama
3) Penn St
4) Oklahoma
5) Florida
6) USC
7) Texas Tech
8) Ok St
9) BYU
10) Georgia


So why should Georgia be ahead of Ok. st who is undefeated and knocked off the # 3 in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top