U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,818,286 times
Reputation: 1324

Advertisements

Anyone see this?


YouTube - LSU vs. USC referee

and heres an article from ESPN saying that it was cleared by the SEC.

To me it certainly didnt look like he was trying to get out of the way. To me it looked like he was trying to get in the path and succeeded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
7,185 posts, read 11,227,455 times
Reputation: 30752
I used to ref HS football, working the wings and in the middle. I really want to see the official being impartial, but I can't see why the Umpire would have stepped into the player AND lowered his shoulder like that. I still want to believe there is a good reason for what we're all seeing in that clip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,818,286 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I used to ref HS football, working the wings and in the middle. I really want to see the official being impartial, but I can't see why the Umpire would have stepped into the player AND lowered his shoulder like that. I still want to believe there is a good reason for what we're all seeing in that clip.
You'd want to find a good reason because surely a ref in Div 1 football or any football in fact would not do that sort of carry on.

Some will say he lowered his shoulder to protect himself but to me he's going in for the kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,671,070 times
Reputation: 1024
I would have done the same thing, it just seems like he would be protecting himself. It isnt as if he has a history of knocking guys down

On another note, if your the QB what does it say that you were knocked down by an older man not wearing any pads with only his his arm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,221 posts, read 2,658,482 times
Reputation: 482
I can't believe the ref did what he did. He could have gotten out of the way of that play easily more than a few times. He literally threw a shoulder into the player and knocked him down. The SEC better look into this guy and see if he is an LSU fan or had any kind of money riding on the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,893 posts, read 3,521,494 times
Reputation: 2335
The ref was a former linebacker that played at Kentucky. Can you say flashback!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,671,070 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
The ref was a former linebacker that played at Kentucky. Can you say flashback!!

Played at Kentucky, then shouldn't he have missed that tackle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
3,047 posts, read 8,138,169 times
Reputation: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Played at Kentucky, then shouldn't he have missed that tackle.
LOL...Kentucky has a decent team every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,893 posts, read 3,521,494 times
Reputation: 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Played at Kentucky, then shouldn't he have missed that tackle.
Well he was probably too busy watching players run by him back then and he figured he was unblocked...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 33,540,797 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I used to ref HS football, working the wings and in the middle. I really want to see the official being impartial, but I can't see why the Umpire would have stepped into the player AND lowered his shoulder like that. I still want to believe there is a good reason for what we're all seeing in that clip.

The guy was an ex-linebacker at Kentucky in '68 or so. I honestly believe that he had a flashback and reverted to his playing days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top