U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:46 AM

743 posts, read 1,176,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Yeah that Georgia v Hawaii game last year had me enthralled all night long. We definitely need more of those.

Kansas v. Va Tech... yeah, what a snoozer.
The Nelson Ratings:
Quote:
Time Network Show Viewer (Millions) Rating/Share
8:00 CBS Without a Trace (Repeat) 8.49 1.8/5
FOX Orange Bowl (Va. Tech vs. Kansas) 11.33 4.0/10
ABC Ugly Betty (Repeat) 5.06 1.5/4
NBC Deal or No Deal 13.31 3.7/10
CW Smallville (Repeat) 2.37 0.9/2

9:00 CBS CSI (Repeat) 13.49 3.4/8
ABC Grey's Anatomy (Repeat) 6.10 2.0/5
NBC Celebrity Apprentice 11.00 4.5/12
CW Supernatural (Repeat) 1.99 0.8/2
Overnight Nielsen TV Ratings for Thursday January 3, 2008 (1/3) including The Orange Bowl, Deal or No Deal, Celebrity Apprentice ratings
Apparently most of the country thought it was a snoozer, it got beat by Deal or No Deal and a CSI repeat.

The Sugar Bowl went a bit higher
Quote:
8:00 FOX Sugar Bowl (Hawaii vs. Georgia) 11.88 4.7/11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 02:44 PM

977 posts, read 1,631,537 times
What I haven't heard this year is any commentators talking about how the Mountain West has three teams ranked this year, which is more than the Big East or WAC, and the same as the PAC 10 and ACC (who just recently had their mediocre confrence leaders stumble into the bottom of the rankings).

Teams Ranked by conference:

Big 12: 5
Big 10: 4
SEC: 4
MWC: 3
PAC 10: 3
ACC: 3
WAC: 1
Big East: 1
MAC: 1
C-USA: 0
Sun Belt: 0

Old 11-27-2008, 07:42 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,822,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
What I haven't heard this year is any commentators talking about how the Mountain West has three teams ranked this year, which is more than the Big East or WAC, and the same as the PAC 10 and ACC (who just recently had their mediocre confrence leaders stumble into the bottom of the rankings).

Teams Ranked by conference:

Big 12: 5
Big 10: 4
SEC: 4
MWC: 3
PAC 10: 3
ACC: 3
WAC: 1
Big East: 1
MAC: 1
C-USA: 0
Sun Belt: 0
Of course the WAC is a midmajor so that doesn't really stand up very much. But we've beat Mountain West teams this season

Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 PM

977 posts, read 1,631,537 times
The WAC is no more a midmajor conference than the MWC. It's still D-1. My point was that the WAC was getting all kinds of conversation the last few years, but the Mountain West has not been mentioned at all this year.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,822,353 times
Quote:
The WAC is no more a midmajor conference than the MWC. It's still D-1. My point was that the WAC was getting all kinds of conversation the last few years, but the Mountain West has not been mentioned at all this year.
I think the MWC has been getting its fair share of attention, after what Boise State done in 06 there was a similar buzz as to when Hawaii went in, and I'm sure all the WAC fans knew that it wasn't going to a Boise State year.

To the bolded part I've definantly seen the MWC mentioned on Sportscentre numerous amount of times, perhaps the same as Hawaii did last year.

Because we are Mid Major conferences unfortunantly its hard for people to take us seriously. Thats where I hope Utah can step in and so called 'bully the big brother'.

It all honestly I don't midmajor teams are ever going to be taken seriously as contenders, it sucks big time but its probaly the truth.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 AM

521 posts, read 1,492,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
i say send boise, hawaii, and fresno to the pac 10,unm,unlv,wyoming,san diego st to the wac, tcu to the big 12, utah, byu, and air force, could go the independent route like notre dame, atleast like that they would have a shot at the bcs.
You kidding me? You want to throw in Boise St., Fresno and Hawaii amongst the ranks of UCLA, USC, Stanford, Berkeley, UofA, ASU, Washington, Oregon.....LMAO.
The PAC-10 is alot more than just sports. It has some of the greatest institutions in the country and you'd like to throw in Boise St., Fresno, Hawaii in there yet leave out the UofU and BYU out? If anything, those two schools (BYU and UofU) should be the more likely of candidates into the PAC-10 based on their academics. No offense, but BSU, Hawaii and Fresno, do not live up to the academic quality of a PAC-10 school or BYU/Utah.

However based on their region, it wouldn't make sense to make BYU/Utah PAC-10. It would make more sense to make UNLV and SDSU PAC-10 if those two schools ever decided to strengthen their academic requirements. But having BYU/UTAH in the PAC-10, though beneficial, it doesnt sound right.

I would rather see Air Force or SDSU traded to the WAC for Boise State and see if BSU can live up to their hype.
Quote:
The only times I ever hear anything about the WAC is when there's a potential BCS buster which only happened a couple years ago with BSU. Once they lost last year however, I havent heard much of anything at all about the WAC. The MWC, on the other hand, is talked about much more because of TCU, Utah, BYU since one, two, or all three of those schools are usually ranked.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 AM

743 posts, read 1,176,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
...However based on their region, it wouldn't make sense to make BYU/Utah PAC-10. It would make more sense to make UNLV and SDSU PAC-10 if those two schools ever decided to strengthen their academic requirements. But having BYU/UTAH in the PAC-10, though beneficial, it doesnt sound right...
Not that I care either way, but does it make less sense that Arizona and Arizona State going to the Pac 8?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 PM

521 posts, read 1,492,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
Not that I care either way, but does it make less sense that Arizona and Arizona State going to the Pac 8?

Based on my understanding of your post -- It makes sense to leave Arizona and Arizona State in the Pac-10 even though the state of Arizona is not on the pacific coast. Arizona culturally and regionally have a westcoast California vibe. Largely due to the Californian presence in Arizona and the desert weather. Arizona has always been considered as part of the west, whereas a "line" has been drawn on that anything east of Arizona is not west coast (NM/TX being southwest). Same as with Las Vegas with its warm climate Californian influx.

Whereas, Utah, Idaho, Montana, are mountaineous regions that do not fit along the west coast territory (another reason why BSU would not fit to be part of the PAC-10).

Thus, back to my post, a Pac-10 school would be appropriate only for:
Those schools in the Pacific Coast region, as well as
Schools that are academically comparable to those of the PAC-10 (UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, UofA, etc). Hence, why Fresno, though in the Pacific Coast region, would not fit in with PAC-10 schools. (And please dont take offense to this Fresno students/alumnus, or otherwise, though your school may be a great institution it does not have the recognition of being on par with the aforementioned schools).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football