U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,818,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Mattyj

Are you a native New Zealander or an American transplant? I checked out the city you say you are living...dang, that is far south.

I think you mentioned this once, but how did you become a Nevada fan. Feel free to link your explanation if you did explain it elsewhere.

On a side note that has nothing to do with new Zealand. I spent last night having drinks here in Austin with a few New Zealanders discussing the merits of Rugby/Rugby Union and American football. Dang, those kiwis can drink, certainly more than an elementary teacher.

Native New Zealander all the way!! Yup I live in the most Southernmost City in the world

http://www.city-data.com/forum/footb...eek-9-a-4.html , heres the explaination on how I became a Nevada fan, quite small really

Lol yup we can drink once we get a few into us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I do honestly think the gators are playing better than anyone else right now, but t-tech has been more consistent. there are good teams in every conference. I am an app state fan as well.
Yeah I honestly think Florida are playing the best football in the nation as well. You guys already got the SEC Championship game berth sealed right?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
yeah, last night sealed the east for the gators. they still have to play south carolina, and florida state before the SEC championship. I like their chances against the citadel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Yeah I honestly think Florida are playing the best football in the nation as well. You guys already got the SEC Championship game berth sealed right?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:41 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Quote:
It's just frustrating to hear how the SEC fans constantly don't think that there are good teams outside of the SEC are any good, their are a massive bunch of Florida homers on another forum and its like 'just give it a break'.
I hear ya, but get used to it. I think jmarquis is actually tame compared to other SEC fans and I sense his sarcasm. He has a lot to support his fervor over the SEC. However, I have also read some of his past posts where he did say he believes things go in cycles and the SEC, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-10 have all had times where they seem to look the best. I fully agree with him in that respect.

I personally think the SEC have been the best conference the last 5-6 years. I don't agree with the whole top to bottom argument though (as I've stated in other posts and don't want to rattle on about that now). To me, having graduated from both an SEC and Pac-10 school, and now living in Big XII country, I can recognize good football around the country (except Washington where I'll never admit that...ever )

I just wish more teams would schedule top teams from other conferences. Now, i know there have been a few big match ups...Ohio State vs. USC, Texas vs. USC, Georgia vs. Boise State (don't laugh), Georgia vs. Arizona State (don't laugh), Oregon vs. Michigan, Oregon vs. Oklahoma, etc., etc.

It would be great to have rotating inter-conference challenges like in bball. Now, I realize schedules are made in advance, but it would be cool. There has been threads discussing this so we do not have to talk about this, but, I think everyone would agree it would be fun to watch.

I cannot wait to return to Knoxville in 2011 (i think) to cheer on my Oregon Ducks against the school I went to graduate school.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I hear ya, but get used to it. I think jmarquis is actually tame compared to other SEC fans and I sense his sarcasm. He has a lot to support his fervor over the SEC. However, I have also read some of his past posts where he did say he believes things go in cycles and the SEC, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-10 have all had times where they seem to look the best. I fully agree with him in that respect.
Lol I guess I should have sensed the sarcasm. Yeah I also agree with the things go in cycles, that is definantly supported by the PAC-10 this year.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
yeah, last night sealed the east for the gators. they still have to play south carolina, and florida state before the SEC championship. I like their chances against the citadel.
They're absolutley going to demolish Citadal, if they play full for the whole game then I'm confident that they'll put 100 against them, whether they'll play full for the whole game I'm not too sure.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
My good friend teaches college in Alabama and is a huge Tide fan. She is going absolutely bananas over the SEC championship.

I think you win this match up. I think you get to the NC and will play...........I have no clue.

I hope you play USC to settle our little SEC-Pac-10 Rivalry. But then, I would realize that I really do not like USC and I was just using them to argue the power of the Pac-10, so that would be lame. I still think you win out to get to the NC.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Lol I guess I should have sensed the sarcasm. Yeah I also agree with the things go in cycles, that is definantly supported by the PAC-10 this year.
I rarely admit the Pac-10 is not up to par with other conferences, but this year, we suck.

I think a few Pac-10 teams will be good in a few years, but the Pac-10 is in rebuild mode...well, except for SC.

Oh well, we are good in cross country...

Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM

they wouldn't do that. they will play their starters until they are up by a couple of scores. then they will put in the backups. they actually have some decent backups I can't wait to see play. it's a good game for the citadel. they are going to make some nice coin to be a whipping boy.

Quote:
They're absolutley going to demolish Citadal, if they play full for the whole game then I'm confident that they'll put 100 against them, whether they'll play full for the whole game I'm not too sure.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:54 PM

I would watch out for florida's track team. have you seen their running back jeff demps? he's going to run track for them too and he is the fastest teenager in the united states. it's ridiculous. I'm not even being a homer.

I keep waiting for it to be the ACC's cycle. I can't understand that conference not being better. fla st. and miami produce more pros than any other school. maybe it's because a few of them are really tough academically? if I was an athlete, I would love to play in a place like chapel hill or charlottesville. guess it's the lack of tradition.

Quote:
I rarely admit the Pac-10 is not up to par with other conferences, but this year, we suck.

I think a few Pac-10 teams will be good in a few years, but the Pac-10 is in rebuild mode...well, except for SC.

Oh well, we are good in cross country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football