U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,232,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you are a TN alum? tell me what you think of this. I think that they should hire lane kiffin.
I've heard that Kiffin is a frontrunner for the UW job, but I would also expect Jim Mora Jr. to be in the running as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 01:21 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,361,370 times
there is no reason for that. perhaps the voters just felt like the gators are playing better football right now. I will give you an argument as to why a 1 loss florida team plays for the NC over a 1 loss texas team though. 1 would be the conference champ, the other would not. same thing happened with florida, ohio state, and michigan in 06. plus no one would want to see a game that already was played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Lets throw out Bama or Texas Tech and go with who should be higher in the polls, Texas or Florida. Florida loses at home to Ole Miss who is 5-4. Texas loses on the road to Texas Tech who was #5 in the polls at the time. Please Jmarquise give me a reason that makes sense as to who's lost was worse and what changed this week that showed Florida derserving to jump Texas when both teams won by pretty big margins.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Lets throw out Bama or Texas Tech and go with who should be higher in the polls, Texas or Florida. Florida loses at home to Ole Miss who is 5-4. Texas loses on the road to Texas Tech who was #5 in the polls at the time. Please Jmarquise give me a reason that makes sense as to who's lost was worse and what changed this week that showed Florida derserving to jump Texas when both teams won by pretty big margins.
It's just the nature of the BCS. TX lost later in the season, so they have an uphill battle. Florida lost early, and has been dominate since. Also, FL will be on the national stage against a highly rated Bama' team in the SEC championship game. If they win that game, they will go on to the NC game since it will be viewed as a more quality win then TX beating Mizzou. It may not be fair, but it's the way it goes in the good ol' BCS.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:23 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,019,837 times
Quote:
no, I am saying that giving up 550 yards to a horrible team is embarrassing. don't need to shut everyone out, but how about a few games when your opponent scores under 30.
Am I missing something? Don't answer that.

Texas allowed a total of 272 yards against Baylor. 100 of that on the ground by Griffin, one of the top spread QBs out of high school from here in Central Texas. UF gave up about as many yards, but less points to the Rainbows (but with an inferior qb). Oh, who cares?

Since my lame Ducks are out in orbit this year (one of many years we are not in the conversation), I will say that Florida and Tech both looks equally impressive. Except when UF lost to Ole Miss (with a qb that was second string to Colt McCoy, but found a starting job at an SEC school which has unarguably stellar defenses but questionable offenses...note sarcasm). It would be interesting to watch a UF-Tech/OU match up in the NC. I would say UF would be able to win both.

I will say, I'd rather see the Oregon Ducks there, but I have a feeling we will go to the prestigious Summer's Eve Feminine Hygiene Bowl where we may show our great running game and wait for it...a 497th uniform combination.

Last edited by Acuda; 11-09-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,361,370 times
I would take the tenn job over washington. more resources and much larger market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I've heard that Kiffin is a frontrunner for the UW job, but I would also expect Jim Mora Jr. to be in the running as well.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
you are a TN alum? tell me what you think of this. I think that they should hire lane kiffin.
Yeah, I think Kiffin would be a good hire. I think the situation at the Raiders was wacky. You are right, they will go after a big name coach, and yes, the SEC is a conference where most coaches want to be, especially if they grew up/played in the South. Well, all coaches except Pete Carroll.

Heck, Fulmer needed to leave sooner. Looking back since the NC, he has had some very average teams for the talent they bring in. I mean Clausen was a complete joke and he seem to be there for 9 years. Pat Summit would have gotten more out of the players.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I would take the tenn job over washington. more resources and much larger market.
Yeah, but if you win 3 games at UW you're a star

Old 11-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Isn't Mora Jr. in line to be the next Seahawk coach. Holmgren is done after this year and I thought Mora already said he didn't want the Seattle job.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I agree. UW was a good recruiting school and had great teams back in the 90s, but those days are long gone. They are looked at as a loser program now and are 4th, if that, in the Northwest alone (behind Boise State, Oregon, OSU, and maybe even Wazzu).

Tennessee has tradition, albeit a bit inflated over the years. They do have a large market and a lot of money to spend. Fulmer and his staff were the highest paid in the SEC I believe, so they have dinero. They recruit well by just saying three words, "Rocky Top" and "SEC." If a coach turns that program around which has fallen lately, they have an excellent opportunity to rise back to the top ranks of the SEC.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Isn't Mora Jr. in line to be the next Seahawk coach. Holmgren is done after this year and I thought Mora already said he didn't want the Seattle job.
You might be right. I just remeber a few years ago when Mora said he would leave the Falcons if the UW job became available...turns out the folks in ATL didn't like that comment too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football