U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:49 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,368,398 times

Advertisements

I think he went into a bad situation with the raiders. he's a young offensive minded guy who could probably build something. lord knows TN gives you all the tools for success. that's why I can't stand them. the pinnacle of my hatred of TN came a few years ago. I was in pittsburgh for a panthers vs. cornhuskers game. I drove back to DC in time for the UF UT game that night. there was a play where a UT player smacked or push a UF player and the UF player did the same thing. should have been offsetting penalties, but only the gator got penalized. it cost them the game. I think it knocked them out of field goal range. ah memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Yeah, I think Kiffin would be a good hire. I think the situation at the Raiders was wacky. You are right, they will go after a big name coach, and yes, the SEC is a conference where most coaches want to be, especially if they grew up/played in the South. Well, all coaches except Pete Carroll.

Heck, Fulmer needed to leave sooner. Looking back since the NC, he has had some very average teams for the talent they bring in. I mean Clausen was a complete joke and he seem to be there for 9 years. Pat Summit would have gotten more out of the players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 01:54 PM

I would love to coach at TN. nice location, mild climate, 105,000 fans every week. I know they spend the primo bucks. spend em if ya got em.

Quote:
I agree. UW was a good recruiting school and had great teams back in the 90s, but those days are long gone. They are looked at as a loser program now and are 4th, if that, in the Northwest alone (behind Boise State, Oregon, OSU, and maybe even Wazzu).

Tennessee has tradition, albeit a bit inflated over the years. They do have a large market and a lot of money to spend. Fulmer and his staff were the highest paid in the SEC I believe, so they have dinero. They recruit well by just saying three words, "Rocky Top" and "SEC." If a coach turns that program around which has fallen lately, they have an excellent opportunity to rise back to the top ranks of the SEC.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:01 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,825,107 times
jmarquise would you even acknowledge that the Big 12 has some good teams and Texas Tech is one of them?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,022,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I would love to coach at TN. nice location, mild climate, 105,000 fans every week. I know they spend the primo bucks. spend em if ya got em.
Yeah, great football atmosphere. UW is pathetic. Husky stadium sits on the lake, but the fans are uptight, pretentious old foggies who live in the past and rarely make noise...although they haven't had much too get excited about.

The only positive of UW is Seattle is an awesome city if you can stand the rain.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
we're all homers around here. I will respect the conference when they can shut out a team like baylor. if horrible teams don't respect the defenses, how can I? it looks like one of those teams will play one of the SEC teams barring something drastic happening. it will be the 12's first introduction to speed.
Yes we're all homers but then there are homers like you who cannot knowledge good football outside the SEC. Same could be said to respect your team when they don't lose to Ole Miss on there home field.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:15 PM

I know they have sarcasm in new zealand. do you take my SEC dominance stance 100% seriously? you shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Yes we're all homers but then there are homers like you who cannot knowledge good football outside the SEC. Same could be said to respect your team when they don't lose to Ole Miss on there home field.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:16 PM

I personally wouldn't want to coach at a college in a city. college towns are much more exciting. coaching for a city school is almost like the school is secondary. pitt plays at heinz field. no atmosphere.

Quote:
Yeah, great football atmosphere. UW is pathetic. Husky stadium sits on the lake, but the fans are uptight, pretentious old foggies who live in the past and rarely make noise...although they haven't had much too get excited about.

The only positive of UW is Seattle is an awesome city if you can stand the rain.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I know they have sarcasm in new zealand. do you take my SEC dominance stance 100% seriously? you shouldn't.
It's just frustrating to hear how the SEC fans constantly don't think that there are good teams outside of the SEC are any good, their are a massive bunch of Florida homers on another forum and its like 'just give it a break'.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:24 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,022,063 times
Quote:
jmarquise would you even acknowledge that the Big 12 has some good teams and Texas Tech is one of them?
Mattyj

Are you a native New Zealander or an American transplant? I checked out the city you say you are living...dang, that is far south.

I think you mentioned this once, but how did you become a Nevada fan. Feel free to link your explanation if you did explain it elsewhere.

On a side note that has nothing to do with new Zealand. I spent last night having drinks here in Austin with a few New Zealanders discussing the merits of Rugby/Rugby Union and American football. Dang, those kiwis can drink, certainly more than an elementary teacher.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:25 PM

I do honestly think the gators are playing better than anyone else right now, but t-tech has been more consistent. there are good teams in every conference. I am an app state fan as well.

Quote:
It's just frustrating to hear how the SEC fans constantly don't think that there are good teams outside of the SEC are any good, their are a massive bunch of Florida homers on another forum and its like 'just give it a break'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football