U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,437,233 times

Advertisements

You are joking, right? The tie breaker was the computers. There is no bias, only formulas. The coaches and AP polls have human bias, the computers are fed stats and spit out a result. If you want to blame anyone, blame the big 12 for having the BCS ranking as a tie breaker instead of a head to head game.

You can't write off Texas' loss to TT by saying it was at the last second in Lubbock. If you are the best team, you do not blow it at the last second regardless of its a home or road game.

I realize Texas got the shaft, but IMO, we need for at least one big name school to get the shaft EVERY YEAR until the powers that be pull their heads out of their money masters' asses and get a playoff system set up. 8 or 16, I don't care, but one of the 2, and an 8 team playoff could be EASILY implemented into the current set up using bowl games. There are no excuses except money, and as long as a solid team gets shafted every season, the odds of a playoff being implemented increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,360,294 times
that's a crock. oklahoma has lost their last 2 BCS games. why would they want oklahoma over texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Looking at Tech they barely won the game agianst Texas in the last second then they were routed by Oklahoma.Texas had already beaten Missouri;Oklahoma and then narrowly lose to tech. Tech had a win aginst Texas;was routed by Oklahoma.In the end it was the BCS that wanted the Oklahoma verus alabama or flroida. That is why Oklahoma was leaped pass Texas even tho both convincingly won. it was planned IMO for teh same reason that Vince Yuong did not win the heisman in his junior year, The politics of college football within conferences.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 AM

43,566 posts, read 52,728,947 times
I am not satisfied by the current system of rankings, but what bothers me about a play-off system would be that it would take away from the excitement of the regular season games. When every single game counts so much, any Saturday can be big game Saturday (when undefeateds match up).

Maybe as needed play-off games amongst teams that all have the same SOS and number of losses? And if 2 big undefeateds = natl championship game.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,437,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not satisfied by the current system of rankings, but what bothers me about a play-off system would be that it would take away from the excitement of the regular season games. When every single game counts so much, any Saturday can be big game Saturday (when undefeateds match up).

Maybe as needed play-off games amongst teams that all have the same SOS and number of losses? And if 2 big undefeateds = natl championship game.
If its an 8 team playoff, I don't see how that would take away from the excitement each week. That argument could be reversed by saying that excitement is constantly being killed by teams losing a couple early and not having a chance to get back in.

College football is a shorter season and should have a short playoff. The fact that there aren't a ton of games keeps it exciting IMO.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:28 PM

43,566 posts, read 52,728,947 times
That argument could be reversed by saying that excitement is constantly being killed by teams losing a couple early and not having a chance to get back in.

That is actually a very good point. Rep.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,325,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
You are joking, right? The tie breaker was the computers. There is no bias, only formulas. The coaches and AP polls have human bias, the computers are fed stats and spit out a result. If you want to blame anyone, blame the big 12 for having the BCS ranking as a tie breaker instead of a head to head game.

You can't write off Texas' loss to TT by saying it was at the last second in Lubbock. If you are the best team, you do not blow it at the last second regardless of its a home or road game.

I realize Texas got the shaft, but IMO, we need for at least one big name school to get the shaft EVERY YEAR until the powers that be pull their heads out of their money masters' asses and get a playoff system set up. 8 or 16, I don't care, but one of the 2, and an 8 team playoff could be EASILY implemented into the current set up using bowl games. There are no excuses except money, and as long as a solid team gets shafted every season, the odds of a playoff being implemented increase.
Yes, also, what some people may not remember us that TTU was killing UT in the total yardage dept. (I just mentioned this in another thread.) The Red Raiders outgained the Longhorns by over 200 yards!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:17 PM

269 posts, read 835,291 times
Default Ouch Texas Tech ....

Big loss to Ole Miss ...

I'd just like to go ahead and take full responsibility .. it's all my fault, I predicted Tech to win in my College Pick Em' ... they didn't have a chance

Sorry Tech fans, if it's any consolation I feel really bad !!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,673,970 times
UGH, So Tech beats us but loses to OU and Ole Miss. Why couldn't they have a bad day vs us? WHYYYY?

And I had 27 confident points on them as well.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,560,176 times
The Big XII is looking especially sucky in bowl games thus far. What are they 1-2 or 1-3, or (Ugh) 0-3?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,821,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The Big XII is looking especially sucky in bowl games thus far. What are they 1-2 or 1-3, or (Ugh) 0-3?
Yup not looking good, although I think bowl performances shouldn't reflect a season's conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football