Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 AM

271 posts, read 1,072,577 times

Advertisements

I have been busy doing other things since high school. I graduated in 2005. I first went and helped my grandpa build a house, and then joined the Marine Corps reserves. I am currently going to a community college in Colorado. I would love to go to UT and try to do a walk on role. As either a kicker/punter, or a linebacker. Although I know I would probably spend some time on just special teams or something. What will happen when I have to go to Iraq? (It is a very real possibility when I would be in my second year there)? Also if I prove myself, will they be able to offer me a scholarship later on in my schooling 'career' or is it if you don't get it at first, then you don't get it?
ok now some info about me.
I am currently 22
I am going to go into my 2nd college semester in Jan.
I used to play High school ball.
I stay in pretty decent shape through the Marines, and my own workouts.
I LOVE the sport.
I graduated in 2005.
What do I need to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 06:56 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
sure you can play

Remember Chris Weinke, he won a nat'l Champ with FSU, well he was like 28 when he did that

He even played professional baseball before going to FSU to begin his CB FB career

But if you get shipped out, you will have to quit

Old 11-17-2008, 07:20 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
Hmm, I think the problem would be you are still in the reserves and would miss the one weekend a month which could be a game. You have no problem with eligibility as long as you never played college football before anywhere. Another great example would be Mike Anderson, who was in the Marine Corps then went on to play for the Broncos. He was the guy who came up with the Mile High Salute.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
When did you start your college education? Your eligibility clock starts ticking from day one at a college or university, including junior college. That means you have 4 years (5 if you redshirt) to play ball. If you simply had a break between high school and university (e.g. in the Marines) you can still play but if you ship out your clock keeps ticking while you are deployed. There is a maximum age you can start playing and while I don't know what it is I do know it isn't 22.

Go to the athletic director's office. They will be able to tell you what you need to do as a walk-on or tell you who can.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Really? the clock starts after you start college? I thought that maybe it started after you first started playing football.
And as for the one weekend a month thing, I am able to do an RIDT. Which basically means that I would make up the drill sometime in the weeks before drill.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
Really? the clock starts after you start college? I thought that maybe it started after you first started playing football.
And as for the one weekend a month thing, I am able to do an RIDT. Which basically means that I would make up the drill sometime in the weeks before drill.

I went on the NCAA website and found something that says your eligibility starts after you register with the NCAA clearing house. I put a link to the page, there is a form you fill out and a application fee which I think is $60. After they accept your application I think you have five years in which to play after that your ineligible.

Link

Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 AM

So, is it possibe to get a scholarship once you start playing for the team?

Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
So, is it possibe to get a scholarship once you start playing for the team?

It happens all the time, if your good enough they might give you a full time ride

Old 11-18-2008, 12:51 PM

That would be pretty amazing.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
When did you start your college education? Your eligibility clock starts ticking from day one at a college or university, including junior college. That means you have 4 years (5 if you redshirt) to play ball. If you simply had a break between high school and university (e.g. in the Marines) you can still play but if you ship out your clock keeps ticking while you are deployed. There is a maximum age you can start playing and while I don't know what it is I do know it isn't 22.

Go to the athletic director's office. They will be able to tell you what you need to do as a walk-on or tell you who can.
I'm no expert but I don't think this is right. There are plenty of grad students I've heard of playing varsity college sports. Assuming they all spent 4 years getting their undergrad, which in this day and age is probably an UNDERestimate, they would have already exceeded their 4 years of eligibility. You can't be declared a redshirt if you aren't on a team's roster either so they don't get any extra year that way. I think the clock starts the day you make a varsity team's roster.

EDIT::
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I went on the NCAA website and found something that says your eligibility starts after you register with the NCAA clearing house. I put a link to the page, there is a form you fill out and a application fee which I think is $60. After they accept your application I think you have five years in which to play after that your ineligible.

Link
Well, there you go! Good find Packersnut!

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 11-20-2008 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Didn't see that 2nd post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football