U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:54 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,404,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
Well now I have a year under my belt in community college, and I recieved a 3.3 GPA, and the average freshman GPA at UT, is 2.68, so, maybe my chances are a little bit better. ?
The average gpa for people who already got in, which is by FAR the toughest part. What is your intended major?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:03 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,984,165 times
best of luck to you in both getting in as well as making the team.

However, doing something in a controlled environment (punting, throwing a ball into a tire, making a 10 ft. putt, hitting 3 pointers, free throws) is COMPLETELY different from doing it in front of a crowd with the win on the line. Not saying you don't have what it takes.... but it's also more than just a straight avg.

For example, does that average include punts in the rain, with people coming after you, wind etc? Can you hit parts of the field on command? can you control the distance of your punts?

Again, not doubting you.. but just playing devils' advocate.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 AM

271 posts, read 955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
The average gpa for people who already got in, which is by FAR the toughest part. What is your intended major?
What do you mean by that? My intended major, is probably going to be International business, with a minor in some foreign language. Or maybe some liberal arts degree.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,404,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
What do you mean by that? My intended major, is probably going to be International business, with a minor in some foreign language. Or maybe some liberal arts degree.
Absolutely no way you get into McCombs from a non-Texas school. No way.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:38 PM

909 posts, read 2,704,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
best of luck to you in both getting in as well as making the team.

However, doing something in a controlled environment (punting, throwing a ball into a tire, making a 10 ft. putt, hitting 3 pointers, free throws) is COMPLETELY different from doing it in front of a crowd with the win on the line. Not saying you don't have what it takes.... but it's also more than just a straight avg.

For example, does that average include punts in the rain, with people coming after you, wind etc? Can you hit parts of the field on command? can you control the distance of your punts?

Again, not doubting you.. but just playing devils' advocate.

Exactly what im trying to say. Anybody can kick a ball with practice. But then you need to work with the long snapper and get to know his style, and you need to line up right and get the right steps in and make good drops, its real easy to do in practice, but depending on who you are, its not so easy just stepping into a game. The punter is the most important factor on special teams. If you kick it off of your ankle or the wrong way because you feel pressured, than you just gave the other teams offense 3 or 7 points the other way. What i believe is that you need true experience before playing infront of big crowds.

As a punter, the media will never congratulate you for a great kick unless it goes between the 5 and the endzone. If you make a bad kick lets say it went straight up and only about 20 yards, the media will critisize you all week long. Same goes for blocked punts, and for those you need to learn to make very quick 3 steps and punt it as fast as you can while ignoring the pressure and let it go for 40-50 yards. Punting and Kicking seems like the easiest positions in Football, but its not. Its the hardest on special teams. It takes years of practice to do it right.

I play WR and CB as well for my high school, and for me, WR is the easiest, then punting, then playing deffense. My favorite is punting because thats what i excell at. It took me 3 years of practice through junior high and freshman year before being able to start for varsity.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,816,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Exactly what im trying to say. Anybody can kick a ball with practice. But then you need to work with the long snapper and get to know his style, and you need to line up right and get the right steps in and make good drops, its real easy to do in practice, but depending on who you are, its not so easy just stepping into a game. The punter is the most important factor on special teams. If you kick it off of your ankle or the wrong way because you feel pressured, than you just gave the other teams offense 3 or 7 points the other way. What i believe is that you need true experience before playing infront of big crowds.

As a punter, the media will never congratulate you for a great kick unless it goes between the 5 and the endzone. If you make a bad kick lets say it went straight up and only about 20 yards, the media will critisize you all week long. Same goes for blocked punts, and for those you need to learn to make very quick 3 steps and punt it as fast as you can while ignoring the pressure and let it go for 40-50 yards. Punting and Kicking seems like the easiest positions in Football, but its not. Its the hardest on special teams. It takes years of practice to do it right.
I play WR and CB as well for my high school, and for me, WR is the easiest, then punting, then playing deffense. My favorite is punting because thats what i excell at. It took me 3 years of practice through junior high and freshman year before being able to start for varsity.
Yeah I actually think its the most underrated position, nobody apart from the punters and kickers of course seems to relize how much effort and how hard it is to actually kick a ball under extreme circumstances, its not like a RB or WR, you have pressure on you all the time and have to get it right everytime, not like a RB or WR where you have plenty of other chances to make up for it.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:27 PM

43,543 posts, read 52,626,787 times
I thought the transfer GPA into UT was at least a 3.5.

The school of business is very competitive, too.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 PM

271 posts, read 955,708 times
hmmm...well I have at least another semester until I would be thinking about transferring out there, and I can work on getting it up. Also, a little earlier I was looking at what would transfer, and what wouldnt. From what I can tell, the classes that I have that would transfer, I have a 3.8. So, maybe my chances would be a little better?

Old 01-02-2009, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,220 times
Dude you really need to get training in the gym, and you also need to get onto a field and punt. Im going to college to punt. There going to look at many things your average which mine was 40.1 hangtime mine was 3 sec and i also am 6'5 210lbs and a 40 time of 4.59 just in case i need to run. Train your butt off man and good luck also get into contact with multiple colleges!!! good luck

Old 01-02-2009, 05:17 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,816,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstoppable123 View Post
Dude you really need to get training in the gym, and you also need to get onto a field and punt. Im going to college to punt. There going to look at many things your average which mine was 40.1 hangtime mine was 3 sec and i also am 6'5 210lbs and a 40 time of 4.59 just in case i need to run. Train your butt off man and good luck also get into contact with multiple colleges!!! good luck
Good to see a punter who has good athletic ablilites too, I've always wanted to be a college punter but unfortunantly I stuffed around at school.

Anyway just out of curiosity which division college are you going to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football