Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,273 times

Advertisements

What is an average punt distance/hangtime for college punters? Also, where is the punt measured from, is it from where the punter kicks it from, or is it from the line of scrimmage? Last thing, How far back does the punter usually stand from the line of scrimmage?
Right now, I am punting an average of 40+ yds. not including the forward bounce. (I can usually get it to bounce forward)
My farthest punt, was 56 yds. to hit the ground, and after the roll it ended up at 73 yds.
Avg. Hangtime is only around 5 seconds-ish, I haven't used a stop watch for it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
What is an average punt distance/hangtime for college punters? Also, where is the punt measured from, is it from where the punter kicks it from, or is it from the line of scrimmage? Last thing, How far back does the punter usually stand from the line of scrimmage?
Right now, I am punting an average of 40+ yds. not including the forward bounce. (I can usually get it to bounce forward)
My farthest punt, was 56 yds. to hit the ground, and after the roll it ended up at 73 yds.
Avg. Hangtime is only around 5 seconds-ish, I haven't used a stop watch for it yet.
The average yardage varies from 35-48yards. Hangtime can be anywhere from 3-6 seconds.

The punt is measured from the line of scrimmage.

The punter usually stands 10 yards behind the yard of scrimmage.

Have you got any background info??
Your average hangtime looks pretty good but I'm like you, I havn't used a stopwatch yet either, I just count in my head
Are you in high school?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,273 times
No, I am not in high school. I went to Texas to help my Grandpa build a house, and then joined the Marine Reserves. I am currently going to a Community college in Colorado. I graduated in '05. and would be looking at trying to 'walk-on' for UTex (even if it is for the practise team, I don't mind proving myself) either next fall, or the fall after. I am 6'3'' and 190 lbs. I have never had any punting training, and only recently started doing punt specific workouts. I would love to do something on Defence, but my talent is in the punting.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:59 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
Quote:
No, I am not in high school. I went to Texas to help my Grandpa build a house, and then joined the Marine Reserves. I am currently going to a Community college in Colorado. I graduated in '05. and would be looking at trying to 'walk-on' for UTex (even if it is for the practise team, I don't mind proving myself) either next fall, or the fall after. I am 6'3'' and 190 lbs. I have never had any punting training, and only recently started doing punt specific workouts. I would love to do something on Defence, but my talent is in the punting.
The good thing about punting is that you don't nessecarly need alot of experience. My best advice on what to do would probaly be to get some training of some sort eg :!Kicking.com Network - Kickers and Punters Only! Kicking and Punting Database. another is The Kicking Coach - Home - nfl punter, punting lessons, kicking lessons, the kicking coach, football punting, special teams, coaching kickers, coaching punters, kicking coach, midwest kicking camps, michigan kicking camps,filip, he will give you free accomodation but the lessons are a bit pricey but would be worth it if you had the cash.
http://www.oneononekicking.net/index.asp (broken link)

But since you are in Colorado it will be hard to get that sort of training, alot of it happens in the Midwest States.

Another good idea is to take a video of yourself punting and perhaps send it around, there are also various kicking tutors who also can promote you to colleges if you should potential.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:04 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
You'd have to worry about getting into UT first, which coming from Colorado is going to be nearly impossible.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
I play high school football and im hoping to be one of those college punters in a few years. I would like to go to Cininnati, Louisville, or if I get a scholarship else where i would feel real accomplished. My average yard per punt is 45 yards and with a hangtime of around 3.9.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Default slow down a bit

Quote:

Im sorry man, but you need YEARS of playing football, lifting, training, etc. to play college ball. Just because your tall and 190 Ibs doesnt mean you will make the team. I have never heard of anyone that has walked in on a team for college and actually make it. It would be suprising if you would play at all because you havent worked out with the team at all. I wish you all my luck because your going to need it.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Huh? What are you talking about? Just this year the Texas Tech kicker walked on (out of the stands!) and is now the kicker on the #2 team in the country.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 PM

91 posts, read 315,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Im sorry man, but you need YEARS of playing football, lifting, training, etc. to play college ball. Just because your tall and 190 Ibs doesnt mean you will make the team. I have never heard of anyone that has walked in on a team for college and actually make it. It would be suprising if you would play at all because you havent worked out with the team at all. I wish you all my luck because your going to need it.

One of the top leaders/players on the Alabama football team was a walkon - Rashad Johnson.

It happens all the time and they often become successful.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:56 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think he means a walk-on with no formal football experience.

Ricky Williams was a walk-on, too, and won the Heisman. But he had played for years in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football