U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:37 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,361,370 times

Advertisements

this really annoys me as someone who doesn't have cable. college football has been annoying me as far as the bowl games anyway, but this takes the cake. I can't wait for the BCS championship games in years to come. it will be the tostidos adidas merril lynch overstock.com national championship game presented by mcdonalds and budweiser. special halftime performers include justin timberlake and aretha franklin.

remember when the bowls were on new years eve and new years day? now it takes 2 months for the bowls to finish.

ESPN - Fox Sports pulls out of bidding to show BCS games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,674,380 times
First let me say I like alot of bowls, I realize it is stupid having a 6-5 team in a bowl but I like watching as much football as I can.

I agree with you about college football selling out. I am of the mind set that people who dont have, in your case or cant afford cable should be able to watch the national championship. This was the same argument I made about Monday night football. It was great on regular TV on Monday nights, I mean it was on for how many decades. Then the rich SOB's decide for some reason it has to change and move it to EPSN. It sucks that money can out weigh tradition and taint the sport.

It still drives me nuts when they say the Rose Bowl....Presented by Citi

Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 AM

what drives me nuts is watching the kansas vs. va tech bowl game last year and getting a special performance by zztop. it not only cheapens the game, it cheapens zztop. they ROCK! college football used to be pure. that's why I liked it so much better than the NFL. the NFL pretty much sucks IMO. it's week 11 or something and I am already rooting for the lions to lose to secure a draft pick. I have an idea that would totally save the NFL, but there is no way they would ever go for something like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
First let me say I like alot of bowls, I realize it is stupid having a 6-5 team in a bowl but I like watching as much football as I can.

I agree with you about college football selling out. I am of the mind set that people who dont have, in your case or cant afford cable should be able to watch the national championship. This was the same argument I made about Monday night football. It was great on regular TV on Monday nights, I mean it was on for how many decades. Then the rich SOB's decide for some reason it has to change and move it to EPSN. It sucks that money can out weigh tradition and taint the sport.

It still drives me nuts when they say the Rose Bowl....Presented by Citi

Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
College Football soldout a long time ago. As soon as bowls and trophies started being named after companies, it sold out.

This is exactly why I dont watch college football. It is more about generating money than creating fair contest and determining a proper champion.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,115,137 times
I guess I don't really have a problem with ESPN getting the BCS games. but I have Uverse; and my cable deprived friends come over to watch this stuff anyway.

I will stick up for the bowl games too. Even though Purdue was 7-5 last year and playing a MAC team in a meaningless bowl; as a fan of Purdue, I was excited about it. It was not as exciting as the Rose or Outback Bowl obviously; but as a fan of a participating school, it was great no matter how nationally irrelevent the bowl is.

Back on point; I agree, College Football became nothing more than a money grab to me when the ACC raided the Big East; but I still can't tear myself away from it. I just love football no matter how much disdain I have for the people running it.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:35 AM

I would say college football is more about football than the NFL. Dont get me wrong I love the Packers but in college you have guys playing who know they wont get drafted and make it in the NFL. They play because they love to play, in the NFL it seems you have alot of guys who just do it for the money.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I would say college football is more about football than the NFL. Dont get me wrong I love the Packers but in college you have guys playing who know they wont get drafted and make it in the NFL. They play because they love to play, in the NFL it seems you have alot of guys who just do it for the money.

I think the complete opposite. College football doesnt even seem like football to me. Defense is practicially non-existant in college and the average spread of games is something like 26 points. That's ridiculous.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think the complete opposite. College football doesnt even seem like football to me. Defense is practicially non-existant in college and the average spread of games is something like 26 points. That's ridiculous.

Thats part of why I like it. You have such a wide variety of offenses you can have the spread like Tech or the Option like Georgia Tech. I remember a few years ago when Tech played Navy, a spread offense vs a team that threw the ball maybe 3 times a game. In the NFL there aren't really that big of differences in like that it's pretty similar.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM

you are right, college doesn't even seem like football. leave the football to the NFL players.

YouTube - Crazy Endzone Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM

394 posts, read 1,303,833 times
While I agree with you guys, it's not surprising in the least. College football is a big business, makes a lot of money, costs a lot of money for people (tickets, apparel, ect.); even more so than other professional sports. When you hear Young Jeezy pregame instead of the marching band, you know we're in deep trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football