U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,236,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree, Rtom...which is why I think USC keeps getting these ridiculously high pre-season rankings year after year only to be exposed later for who/what they really are.
How have they been exposed? It's very hard to argue that USC hasn't been the most dominate team in CFB this decade.

They've made the BCS every year for the past 6 or 7 years and absolutely dismantled everyone they've played, with the exception of losing a close game to Vince Young. They've won the Pac 10 for the past 6 or 7 years, destroyed their out of conference schedule, have two national championships, and three heismens. Even their former backup quarterback (Cassel) is starting in the NFL

I'm by no means a USC fan but you've got to give credit where credit is due.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,449,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
florida should actually be ranked number 1. they had one close game. a game in which they dominated, and had two fumbles inside their own red zone and lost on a blocked XP. they have destroyed everyone else they have played. each of their last 7 games have been over by halftime. yes, one of the two SEC teams will be pushed out of the championship, and when florida plays whoever comes out of the big 12, I have a feeling one of the conferences will be exposed. take a guess which conference I think is overrated.
Maybe you could help me understand the whole concept of dominating a game, yet losing. You don't lose when you dominate, you lose when you completely fail to dominate.

Florida should be ranked number 4 or 5. They lost AT HOME to a team that is currently ranked #25 in the nation. They have one other win over a currently ranked opponent, Georgia. The rest of their schedule has been unranked teams. So Florida has beaten one opponent all year that is currently a top 25 team. Blowing out the Citadel is not exactly much of an accomplishment, considering they are a doormat team for other division 2 schools. Simply having such a cupcake of a game on the schedule should be enough to boot them out of the top 5. There are high school teams that could have given a better challenge.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,827,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Maybe you could help me understand the whole concept of dominating a game, yet losing. You don't lose when you dominate, you lose when you completely fail to dominate.

Florida should be ranked number 4 or 5. They lost AT HOME to a team that is currently ranked #25 in the nation. They have one other win over a currently ranked opponent, Georgia. The rest of their schedule has been unranked teams. So Florida has beaten one opponent all year that is currently a top 25 team. Blowing out the Citadel is not exactly much of an accomplishment, considering they are a doormat team for other division 2 schools. Simply having such a cupcake of a game on the schedule should be enough to boot them out of the top 5. There are high school teams that could have given a better challenge.
Add to the fact that Alabama hasn't lost a game.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM

Florida should be ranked 4 or 5 as of today...but, if they beat Bama in the SEC Championship, then they deserve to play for the NC.

*if they don't choke against FSU

Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM

43,627 posts, read 52,861,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
How have they been exposed?

They've been exposed b/c they wind up being ranked lower at the end of the season than they were at the beginning. Which happens to a lot of teams, but those same teams don't consistently get credit before the playing even begins.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They've been exposed b/c they wind up being ranked lower at the end of the season than they were at the beginning. Which happens to a lot of teams, but those same teams don't consistently get credit before the playing even begins.
Nah, here is a summary of USCs rankings preseason vs final for the past few years (+ means they finished that many spots above their preseaon ranking and - means they finished that many spots below...0 means they finished ranked the same)

2002: +14
2003: +10
2004: 0
2005: -1
2006: 1
2007: -2

The last few years they've pretty much performed on par with their preseason ranking.

Here is the link for all teams: Cumulative Overrated/Underrated Teams

Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,372,146 times
they have 1 national championship. they also produce more busts than any other team in college football. miami clearly produces the most pros, and LSU has 2 BCS championships. I am a gator fan, so it pains me to admit that about LSU and miami. those BCS games that USC played in were against the pathetic big 10 in the rose bowl. I am impressed that they beat illionios last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
How have they been exposed? It's very hard to argue that USC hasn't been the most dominate team in CFB this decade.

They've made the BCS every year for the past 6 or 7 years and absolutely dismantled everyone they've played, with the exception of losing a close game to Vince Young. They've won the Pac 10 for the past 6 or 7 years, destroyed their out of conference schedule, have two national championships, and three heismens. Even their former backup quarterback (Cassel) is starting in the NFL

Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
they have 1 national championship. they also produce more busts than any other team in college football. miami clearly produces the most pros, and LSU has 2 BCS championships. I am a gator fan, so it pains me to admit that about LSU and miami. those BCS games that USC played in were against the pathetic big 10 in the rose bowl. I am impressed that they beat illionios last year.
2 National Championships (remember the OU debacle where they shared it with LSU?). I agree that Miami and LSU have both been successful in their own right, but that doesn't mean USC hasn't.

Yeah, they've beat some weaker Big 10 opponets in the Rose Bowl but they also crushed Arkansas the year that Arkansas won the west and the NC game against OU was beyond ugly.

They do have some decent pros from the last few years, but they are they most overexposed team in college so of course there will be busts. Top teams always produce notable busts...Vince Young's future isn't looking so bright and I'm pretty sure Ki Jana Carter tried to sell me a vacuum last week.

Like I said, I'm not a USC fan and I'm not saying that they are the greatest and that no one else compares to them.
I'm just saying that you have to admit that USC is currently ONE OF the elite programs in college football.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,679,212 times
Is a Florida fan really using the USC played a weak Big Ten team as a negative for USC? I mean really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football