U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 04:44 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,918,309 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that some college football teams have an aura, or sacredness, to them. I wonder who you feel has this almost magic quality when attending your team's home game and why. That kind of magic in the air when the home team comes out of the tunnel to begin the game, the energy in the air is so thick you could slice it. You feel like a kid at Disney World.

Is it the strong tradition of greatness teams like Oklahoma or Georgia have? Is it having a stadium with a backdrop of a river like Tennesse or the mountains like Arizona? Is it the legendary coach like Florida St. or Penn St. have? Is it a team who has endured tragedy and risen from the ashes like Marshall or Virginia Tech? Is it a national "babyface" team that people love despite their record like Notre Dame or Michigan? Is it past miracle seasons like Boston College? Is it because this team spits out future NFL stars consistantly like USC or Ohio St? Is it due to the fact the college is the main sports presence because of the lack of professional sports in places like Iowa and Louisville?

So tell me, what team gives you butterflies, goosebumps or a lump in your throat when attending a home game? And if you can explain it, why?

Last edited by TNKY; 11-24-2008 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,387,858 times
definitely tradition, like how long, how many championships, expectations, rivalries

and also how serious football is taken at the youth level because college is usually where the best in-state players play other players from other states

Like the horns are mostly Texas's best players, Ohio State is mostly Ohio kids, and USC is mostly socal kids

Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,699,775 times
I get a weird goose-bump sensation every time I attend a game and hear our fight song and see those guys burst out of the tunnel...there is also magic in the solidarity of your accompanying screaming fans...go, 'Horns!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:29 AM

977 posts, read 1,630,676 times
Nebraska. (Even though they kind of suck now)
One of the winningest programs (one of only 4 with over 800 wins, 41 consecutive winning seasons)
Numerous championships (5)
A coaching legend (Tom Osborne)
Tradition - the entire state of Nebraska pretty much shuts down for game day. They have sold out every game since 1962, even the last few years that they haven't been very good.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 AM

394 posts, read 1,303,549 times
First off, as a Marshall student, I have to give you props for mentioning my school. Unfortunately, we don't have the feeling you mentioned anymore. Mostly due to the teams struggles under Coach Snyder, the stadium is never more than 3/4's full and is usually only a 1/4 full by the fourth quarter. A school in the same state, WVU, does have it however. Their student section is terrific and the fans throughout the state back them passionately.

I went to a game at the show in Columbus this fall and lived on campus at OSU this summer and they definitely have the IT factor. it's insane how a city of Columbus's size shuts completely down when the Buckeyes play. It's something you have to see to believe almost.

I think Notre Dame has it, as does Michigan and USC. In the Big 12, I think Texas and Oklahoma do for sure. I think most of the schools in the SEC do as well. People can agree or disagree with it being the best conference in football, but watching a big college game in the south is awesome. A friend of mine who does professional photography went to the florida/georgia game this year and said the pre-game was more intense than some NFL playoff games.

I think the reason this feeling exists in non-pro cities (or even pro cities I suppose) is because for many, college sports represent everything pro sports aren't. In other words, many people can recognize and identify it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football