U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Charlie Weis be Fired?
Yes 22 66.67%
No 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2008, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,674,850 times
Reputation: 1024

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Love Ty all you want ... he's inept and ND gets bowl invites because they mean big bucks/tv ratings to the bowl that takes them.

ND firing Ty was a great move, for ND and for the Willingham family, but for some reason, you wont' address that issue. Ty's family hated ND.

But yet Ty couldn't turn around UW ... fired him mid season ... no uproar Couldn't get these recruits that you seem to heck bent on defending his coaching abilities on ... please.

And tell me where Ty is going to be coaching next????

<crickets>
Well for some reason people still see that Notre Dame mystic, and if you think it might be a bit easier to recruit to Notre Dame than UW then you'd be right.

You say Ty's family hated ND any proof or what.

Notre Dame may get bowl games based on their name but you dont go to BCS games based on your name, you need to have a good team. THe 2 BCS games they went to were with guys Ty recruited.

I ask once again if Notre Dame has gotten top 10 recruitng classes the past 3 years where is the success? Also, wasnt Wies taking over play calling? How did that go when you lost to the powerhouse Syracuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,700 posts, read 35,643,141 times
Reputation: 7952
It doesn't help when your offensive coordinator takes "personal leave" (read, interviewing for Ty's job at UW) ... someone has to make the play calls. I personally think that Charlie is in way over his head at ND. I truly wonder how much "coordinating" he did with New England, methinks he was the offensive coordinator in name only.

It was common knowledge around South Bend that the Willingham's kids hated South Bend/Granger. Proof? None other than what was said around town. Take it for what it was, but his wife and kids were literally outa here the day after he was fired and Ty wasn't exactly angry when he got the news. He was relieved. But again, at least ND let him finish his season before they canned him. And again, Charlie took Ty's recruits and made them great players. It was as if the players were waiting to find a coach who would take them to the next level because Ty was about as exciting a coach as watching grass grow. Charlie came in and fired everyone up that first year, but now he's got nothing, for no good reason. Last year was a gimme, this year is just pathetic. I don't think that ND should be in any bowl this year, they don't deserve it and the BCS has invited ND to bowls because they are ND ... the whole BCS system is developed to help ND ... it's conference centric AND Notre Dame.

I think that ND needs to join a conference. Big 10 preferably, but at this point, the Big East would be the easiest transition. The BCS needs to eliminate the Notre Dame exception. Alumni need to stop send in their thousands for season tickets (guilty) and NBC needs to cancel the tv contract ... then you'd see ND stick with a coach for once.

The Notre Dame mystique is no longer what it used to be, but then again, the mystique started dying the day that ND lost in double OT to Air Force (was at that game ) and that was the beginning of the end for Lou Holtz.

But again, no, I don't think ND should fire Charlie Weis. We'll see come Sunday.

The

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Well for some reason people still see that Notre Dame mystic, and if you think it might be a bit easier to recruit to Notre Dame than UW then you'd be right.

You say Ty's family hated ND any proof or what.

Notre Dame may get bowl games based on their name but you dont go to BCS games based on your name, you need to have a good team. THe 2 BCS games they went to were with guys Ty recruited.

I ask once again if Notre Dame has gotten top 10 recruitng classes the past 3 years where is the success? Also, wasnt Wies taking over play calling? How did that go when you lost to the powerhouse Syracuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,333,588 times
Reputation: 3308
What happened to hiring coaches and keeping them around for a while. ND's problem is they don't give anyone time to build a tradition with their style, recruiting, etc. There are very few coaches that come in and immediately turn a program around. It takes YEARS. But the thing is, once they create a winning tradition, it'll snowball and they'll be back on top for many years to come.

Boosters have no idea how to run a program, but they think they do. If they let Weis fulfill his contract, they'll have a long winning tradition again. But it takes time to get his coaches, recruits and system in place. The problem is that they've been so bad for so long, they can't get good recruits. They just need to understand that while they may only get 3 blue-chippers this year, if they have a decent year, they may get 5 next year, and then 8 and so on.

In a few years, they'll be back on top. But if they keep firing coaches, they'll be going in circles forever.

And I HATE Notre Dame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,674,850 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
If they let Weis fulfill his contract, they'll have a long winning tradition again. But it takes time to get his coaches, recruits and system in place. The problem is that they've been so bad for so long, they can't get good recruits. They just need to understand that while they may only get 3 blue-chippers this year, if they have a decent year, they may get 5 next year, and then 8 and so on.

Thats it though they have been in the top 10 recruiting classes for the past few years.

2006 (http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2006 - broken link)
2007 (http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2007 - broken link)
2008 (http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2008 - broken link)

Now I realize the guys from 2008 still need time to develop but look at other schools, where guys in their sophomore and Junior years are the stars. Weis has not developed them and who knows if he can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,849,532 times
Reputation: 2333
Charlie Weis sure looked like an offensive Genius tonight! I still think he'll get one more year as he should, I just hope he'll be a little less arrogant!! This humble pie will do a him a lot of good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, IN
855 posts, read 2,174,861 times
Reputation: 698
Enough with the Weis won with Ty's players drivel. Ty's first year that got everyone all hot and bothered was with Davie's players. About the only ND player that's made a name from himself is Justin Tuck and he was a Davie recruit. They won mostly because of a good, opportunistic defense and good special teams. Ty's variant of the WC offense never came close to amounting to anything in any of his three seasons. He's a mediocre coach who had a couple of few good seasons at Stanford when the Pac-10 was down, caught lightning in a bottle one year at ND and has basically flopped since. End of story.

Weis got the extension because he was a hot commodity after his early success. If he had been more successful past 2006, it would be hailed as a masterstroke. With his flaws showing, it now looks foolish. Hindsight is 20/20.

Weis got the benefit of the doubt last year because he had two pretty successful seasons that were largely based on the success of the offense that he said he would deliver and did. If they had won a couple of games this year that they should have, it would seem to have been largely justified. Under the circumstances, it can and is being questioned.

That said, that was a pathetic showing last night by ND. If they've got anyone decent in line to take over, he should be fired. If they don't, he'll get another year.

Evidently Corwin Brown and Haywood are both interviewing for HC positions. I don't think either are irreplaceable as coordinators by any means, but they've been good recruiters. Right now recruiting is all Weis has to hang his hat on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,700 posts, read 35,643,141 times
Reputation: 7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
Enough with the Weis won with Ty's players drivel. Ty's first year that got everyone all hot and bothered was with Davie's players. About the only ND player that's made a name from himself is Justin Tuck and he was a Davie recruit. They won mostly because of a good, opportunistic defense and good special teams. Ty's variant of the WC offense never came close to amounting to anything in any of his three seasons. He's a mediocre coach who had a couple of few good seasons at Stanford when the Pac-10 was down, caught lightning in a bottle one year at ND and has basically flopped since. End of story.

Weis got the extension because he was a hot commodity after his early success. If he had been more successful past 2006, it would be hailed as a masterstroke. With his flaws showing, it now looks foolish. Hindsight is 20/20.

Weis got the benefit of the doubt last year because he had two pretty successful seasons that were largely based on the success of the offense that he said he would deliver and did. If they had won a couple of games this year that they should have, it would seem to have been largely justified. Under the circumstances, it can and is being questioned.

That said, that was a pathetic showing last night by ND. If they've got anyone decent in line to take over, he should be fired. If they don't, he'll get another year.

Evidently Corwin Brown and Haywood are both interviewing for HC positions. I don't think either are irreplaceable as coordinators by any means, but they've been good recruiters. Right now recruiting is all Weis has to hang his hat on.
Good on ya!

Last night "performance" ... abyssmal, purely abyssmal. I will say that I was expecting USC to hang 60+ on them, so at least the defense did a little something. I give Tenuta credit this year.

I don't know. ND's offensive lines have been the death of ND. I thought they looked good at the beginning of the year, but now ... I just don't know. There's no excuse for the O lines being so awful, no excuse.

Got on the "rumor boards" after the game and now the fires are burning that the coach from Cincinnati ... Kelly (??????) is coming to ND. I didn't know that Cincinnati even had a football team ... but boy oh boy, they beat Syracuse yesterday, whoop deee dooo!!!! I think this is horrible. Who is this guy and what foolishness this will be if the spoiled brats in the hierarchy of ND football fire Charlie Weis? I guess this Kelly guy turned down Tennessee and UW, but his dream job is BC ... who the heck knows for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,849,532 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Good on ya!

Last night "performance" ... abyssmal, purely abyssmal. I will say that I was expecting USC to hang 60+ on them, so at least the defense did a little something. I give Tenuta credit this time.
Come on domergurl, do you honestly think it was ND Defense that kept USC under 40 points? BE HONEST please. I think Pete Carroll is one classy coach and pulled the dogs on ND or he could have scored at least in the 40s EASILY! Seriously, I watched that game and USC could have easily scored atleast 2 more Touchdowns if they wanted to but Pete Carroll didn't want to run up the score. Don't kid yourself and believe it was Notre Dame Defense, it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,674,850 times
Reputation: 1024
You know what Notre Dame fans deserve Weis. i hope he stays around for the whole contract, have fun with 6-6 season after 6-6 season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,700 posts, read 35,643,141 times
Reputation: 7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Come on domergurl, do you honestly think it was ND Defense that kept USC under 40 points? BE HONEST please. I think Pete Carroll is one classy coach ....
I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the last phrase .... Pete Carroll is the biggest hear no evil see no evil speak no evil coach on the planet.

I'm going to go out on a big fat limb here and say that ND isn't going to fire Charlie this year, they won't fire him next year either.

I keep thinking ... oh, if only George O'Leary hadn't lied on his resume ... sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top