U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 PM

743 posts, read 1,175,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Come on I had to step in on this one. Mack brown is 112-26 at Texas and 7-3 in Bowl games.
He's 2-0 in BCS games and has 1 conference championship, 1 national title.

We all have our own criteria, and I don't really care about overall records, win streaks, they are not as meaningful in college football. Conference championships, which lead to BCS berths, and of course national titles count a lot more to me.

He also has terrible graduation rates which I think has to be a consideration too. I'm not saying he's a bad coach at all, I'm not convinced he's top 5 though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,839,669 times
Butch Davis has done a great job at North Carolina this year. That's all I got!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 PM

In order:
1. Pete Carroll
2. Bobby Bowden
3. Steve Spurrier
4. Joe Paterno
5. Jim Tressel
6. Bob Stoops
7. Urban Meyer
8. Nick Saban
9. Mack Brown

Old 11-26-2008, 02:29 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,860,426 times
Is the question which coach can recruit the best, or who's the best game manager/player developer. I mean how hard is it to recruit someone to Austin, TX, Los Angeles or Gainesville FL. Especially if you have 2 or 3 major population centers within 3 hours of the campus.

Saban has turned around 2 or 3 programs (not sure the grade I give on Mich St.). Bob Stoops has continually reloaded at OU. Meyer did great at Utah, and since at Fla.

Some of the best coaching may be Bill Snyder who was rehired at Kansas St. Agree with early poster on Kragthorpe. Todd Graham at Tulsa and Rice should be on the watch.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Is the question which coach can recruit the best, or who's the best game manager/player developer. I mean how hard is it to recruit someone to Austin, TX, Los Angeles or Gainesville FL. Especially if you have 2 or 3 major population centers within 3 hours of the campus.

Saban has turned around 2 or 3 programs (not sure the grade I give on Mich St.). Bob Stoops has continually reloaded at OU. Meyer did great at Utah, and since at Fla.

Some of the best coaching may be Bill Snyder who was rehired at Kansas St. Agree with early poster on Kragthorpe. Todd Graham at Tulsa and Rice should be on the watch.
I think you have to look at recruiting, national championships, BCS record, conference championships, and graduation rates; I don't like wins by themselves, I don't think they are a good indicator of success, Maybe wins against Top 25 teams should count too.

Edit: I mean to say I don't think total wins, like career wins are as important.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,054 times
What bugs me is you can get good coaches but what if their teams choke in the big games? I think Pete Carroll is the easy choice at #1 but after that there could be a debate for 2-5. Bowden is a good coach but how come his teams have been average the past 4 years? I like Joe Pa but from 2000-2005 his teams went 21-33. He has turned them around recently but there were years where they stunk. Bob Stoops great coach but in the bowl games OU is 4-5. Mack Brown has 10 win seasons and does well in bowls but for a time he could not beat OU and you need to do that at Texas.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,228,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Pete Carroll. In no particular order.

I would love to see their combined winning percentage over the last 6-7 years.

Where's your top 5 'nut?

I just realized that I picked the coaches from the top 5 teams in the country, not on purpose but I guess it makes sense. Kind of funny I didn't realize that when I was making my list.
It's tought to argue with those pics and they are the best coaching today. I guess if we are to consider a coaches entire body of work then Paterno and Bowden should be mentioned as well.

I'll put my head through my monitor if anyone says Charlie Weiss

edit: Good call on the poster who said Butch Davis, who knew that NC even had a football team?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,839,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post

edit: Good call on the poster who said Butch Davis, who knew that NC even had a football team?
Thank you!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
How about throwing Tressel and Spurrier in the mix. Mack Brown I'm not so sure, he seems to be an underachiever to me
Underachiever? I think he quickly turned Texas program to one of the best in the country. He has a young team that no one thought could finsh with better than 8 wins. He is well on the way to being one of the greats in a conference that is how as strong or stronger than even the SEC.The SEC has long been the strongest conference to win a championship in.Looking at next year he has a dominate team coming back with few loss players.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:03 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,533,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
Mack Brown I'm not so sure, he seems to be an underachiever to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football