U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM

59 posts, read 225,328 times

Advertisements

Nutt, Carrol, Saban, Richt, and Stoops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM

101 posts, read 511,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Pete Carroll. In no particular order.

I would love to see their combined winning percentage over the last 6-7 years.

Where's your top 5 'nut?

I just realized that I picked the coaches from the top 5 teams in the country, not on purpose but I guess it makes sense. Kind of funny I didn't realize that when I was making my list.
Agreed, but here's my top 5 from less prestigous programs.

Chris Peterson (Boise State)
Gary Patterson (TCU)
Mark Dantonio (Michigan State)
Mike Riley (Oregon State)
Butch Davis (North Carolina)

Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,229,849 times
I have to say Bowden again. He hasn't had as much success in the past couple years but what he did for about 15 straight years at Florida State is incredible.

Anyhow, my revised current top ten is probably similar to most:

1. Carroll (record speaks for itself)

2. Meyer (same. may be #1 if FL keeps rolling)

3. Bellotti (his program may not be the best, but Oregon was nobody's before he showed up and now they're a perennial top 25)

4. Richt (What is it, 6 or 7 years with 10 wins? Plus, is money in bowl games)

5. Stoops/Brown (I'll let the Big XII fans fight this one out, and if you can't agree, we'll decide based on a computer ranking system)

Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,473,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
4 Paterno-Winning coach, not a top recruiter, terrible graduation rates
What?? Check the statistics dude. Penn State has a higher football player graduation rate than any other major college football program, especially considering how many players get drafted every year.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,429,654 times
Tressel is not in the same class as the mention 5 above, not even close.

I am from Columbus and have had it with his poor decisions and lack of skills to know how to exploit talented players that he has had.

Ohio State has impressive numbers of players in the NFL yet he has 1 title to show for it.

If Meyer or Carrol were in Columbus it would be a 3-4 year national title run because lord knows they had the talent here to win.

He has a hard time adjusting to the game as it goes on and putting players in the right postitions to win a game when it is on the line.

Look at the Texas game, Ohio State flat out beat the crap out of Texas and lost only because the stupid defensive coordinator failed to play prevent and called one blitz after another. Do you not think Texas knew what he was going to do?

That defensive call on the last drive of the Texas game was proof the man is lost. Why not call time out? Why not be a prevent d? Why not make an adjustment? Sad that Ohio State kids beat up Texas and lost the game only because of a poor coaching job.

** Mack Brown, if you vote your team number one then you are also lost.
You did not deserve to beat OSU and you think you could be that Florida team? Dream on buddy!

Sure he is a nice guy ( Tressel ) , but nice guys do not always win, you have to know what to do with the talent you have and make the right calls.

He fails at that badly.

Texas has no right saying they are better then Florida when they could not handle Ohio State.

For me Florida is the national champ and the only team playing well enough to even give them a good game would be USC.

Meyer and Carrol are the top two coaches hands down for me.

You have to know how to coach and how to bring in the talent as well, all at the same time.

Many good coaches on college football, the LSU coach and Auburn coach who just left are great coaches as well.

For me I just cannot see any better then Meyer and Carrol, they are a complete package top to bottom.

Ohio State needs revamped from the top down. OSU needs a coach that can make decisions.

Come on folks, Maurice Wells, Floridas all time top rushing in High School came to Ohio State, why? No team in Florida wanted him.

He is to small, too slow and the cheerleader can take him down.

Joke around here is the wind can knock him down before he gets the ball!!

Tressel said he was the top recruit in the country 4 years ago and has been a total joke and a bust.

Watch him ruin Terrel Pryor. Probably the top 3-4 most talented players in the country and he will ruin him in time.

Sorry for the long rant, but Tressel needs to go.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,671,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Texas has no right saying they are better then Florida when they could not handle Ohio State.

While i agree Florida is the National Champ, I would disagree with your statement.

Texas played like garbage the entire first half, just look at the pass Colt got picked on to end the half. You saw the true Texas football offense on that last drive, if we played like that the whole game we could have had 40 on the board.

Florida did play OU well and yes held them to 14 points, but the also only put up 24 on them. Texas managed to throw 45 on the board when they beat them. So sorry if I dont buy the whole Texas can't beat anyone argument.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
I agree that Florida is national champoions but that game could have gone either way.We will never know how Texas would have done but as stated they put 45 up on Oklahoma. Ohio States defense certainly played very well That's what got them in a bowl game. Texas has a very young team but has some really exposive players .McCoy is very accurate ;is very mobile;can piclup multiple receivers and has such a fast release.His release is the fatest I've seen in years in college football.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 PM

Has it been confirmed that McCoy is coming back next year or is that just what everyone is assuming?

I know it's off topic, but it seems like he's never part of the "will he stay or will he go" conversation.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,671,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Has it been confirmed that McCoy is coming back next year or is that just what everyone is assuming?

I know it's off topic, but it seems like he's never part of the "will he stay or will he go" conversation.

I would say he is 99.9% coming back. He has said on multiple occasions he is coming back. Not to mention his best friend and favorite WR, Jordan Shippley, got a medical okay and is back for another year.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I would say he is 99.9% coming back. He has said on multiple occasions he is coming back. Not to mention his best friend and favorite WR, Jordan Shippley, got a medical okay and is back for another year.
Thanks! I'd say that's some good news for the Texas fans out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football