Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times

Advertisements

Ideally, I would like a 16 team playoff:

EVERY Conference Champ gets an automatic bid; that's right, Buffalo, you're coming to the dance

The remaining seeds would be "at large" based on the BCS

After that, it would be standard playoff fare based on BCS seeding: 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc...

Realistically; give us a plus-one game and I'll quit bitching about "no playoff" for awhile.

***After reading some more posts, I support an Eight Team Playoff

We would give an auto seed to every BCS conference winner, but...each conference would need a conference championship and they would have to be ranked in the top 15 after winning their conference or they risk losing their auto bid to an at-large team.

Two at large bids.

Standard playoff fare; 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc...

Seeding based on BCS

***Still would be much happier with a plus-one game then the current bull ****

Last edited by truckingbronco; 12-15-2008 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Oh yeah!!!!!

Thats why the sec has a bunch of 4+ loss teams, cause they beat each other up.
I think its because the sec is full of mediocrity this year, they only had two good teams this year.

I won't be surprised if the sec goes winless this bowl season.
Well, I guess 'bama has a chance. he he he
Hmmm...you could apply the same logic to the Big XII, too

Old 12-15-2008, 08:58 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Just nevermind all the previously mentioned nonsense and watch the SEC all year is all you need. We've already had the closest thing to a true National Championship already this year when Florida beat Alabama.
The SEC is down this year. Florida and Alabama ok; but who else in that conference is solid this year? Let's look at the bowl teams:

Georgia - colossal disappointment

LSU - average at best

Ole Miss - better than many thought; but not a GREAT team

South Carolina - 7-5; nice enough team

Vandy- they lost to Duke at home....

Kentucky- are you kidding me? is there a more undeserving bowl bound team in the country? They lost 63-5 to Florida, and barely beat Miss St, Arkansas, and Middle Tennessee; they did not beat one bowl bound team this year.

Tennessee lost at home to Wyoming. Mississippi State lost to LA Tech.

The SEC has four good teams at best. Vandy and UK, are you kidding me? They would both get crushed by mid-level Big XII teams.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post

Kentucky- are you kidding me? is there a more undeserving bowl bound team in the country? They lost 63-5 to Florida, and barely beat Miss St, Arkansas, and Middle Tennessee; they did not beat one bowl bound team this year.

Whats funny is I have UK fans try and talk smack abut Texas. I don't know if it's SEC fans in general but they are so delusional they think UK could play with Texas.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
The SEC is down this year. Florida and Alabama ok; but who else in that conference is solid this year? Let's look at the bowl teams:

Georgia - colossal disappointment

LSU - average at best

Ole Miss - better than many thought; but not a GREAT team

South Carolina - 7-5; nice enough team

Vandy- they lost to Duke at home....

Tennessee lost at home to Wyoming. Mississippi State lost to LA Tech.

The SEC has four good teams at best. Vandy and UK, are you kidding me? They would both get crushed by mid-level Big XII teams.
The point is that we don't know how good the Big XII is either. They made their reputation this year by putting up ungodly numbers against each other. Besides OU playing a few decent out-of conference opponents, no one has a quality win against another conference.

Hell, OK State is somehow ranked in the top twenty even though they lost to everyone.

Missouri...give me a break.

Texas Tech won the game of their life against TX but haven't beat any other worthy opponets. If they would have lost against TX they would be nothing more than the usualy 2 or 3 loss offensive machine that they are every season.

OU and Texas are good teams but the rest of the conference is a bunch of hype.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Big XII has a devastating bowl season. Oregon and Ol Miss are plenty capable of beating OK State and TX Tech. Ohio State and Florida are definetly capable of beating TX and OU.

I might be wrong, but until the bowls are done, none of us know for sure.

***Nothing against the Big XII but I'm starting to think that you guys are reincarnated Ohio State fans

Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
The point is that we don't know how good the Big XII is either. They made their reputation this year by putting up ungodly numbers against each other. Besides OU playing a few decent out-of conference opponents, no one has a quality win against another conference.

Hell, OK State is somehow ranked in the top twenty even though they lost to everyone.

Missouri...give me a break.

Texas Tech won the game of their life against TX but haven't beat any other worthy opponets. If they would have lost against TX they would be nothing more than the usualy 2 or 3 loss offensive machine that they are every season.

OU and Texas are good teams but the rest of the conference is a bunch of hype.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Big XII has a devastating bowl season. Oregon and Ol Miss are plenty capable of beating OK State and TX Tech. Ohio State and Florida are definetly capable of beating TX and OU.

I might be wrong, but until the bowls are done, none of us know for sure.

***Nothing against the Big XII but I'm starting to think that you guys are reincarnated Ohio State fans
I am not a Big XII fan, and I am NOT an Ohio State fan. How dare you!

I will give the SEC four good teams (Florida, Bama, Georgia, and Ole Miss). Outside of those four teams, no way. South Carolina would be a fringe fifth team. After that, it goes downhill. Lsu is an average team this year and then you have UK and Vandy. I have already presented my case on those teams.

Really, I don't hate the SEC. I just get sick of the delusional SEC fans who think this conference is so great this year. It isn't. I mean, Kentucky?? Really?? Vandy lost at home to Duke. DUKE!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I am not a Big XII fan, and I am NOT an Ohio State fan. How dare you!

I will give the SEC four good teams (Florida, Bama, Georgia, and Ole Miss). Outside of those four teams, no way. South Carolina would be a fringe fifth team. After that, it goes downhill. Lsu is an average team this year and then you have UK and Vandy. I have already presented my case on those teams.
Yeah, the Ohio State comment was a little harsh

To further the OP comment; we will never have an answer to this until we have a playoff, or at the very least, a plus-one game.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post

To further the OP comment; we will never have an answer to this until we have a playoff, or at the very least, a plus-one game.
Whats sad is all of us fans go to games and put so much into our teams and college football because we love it. While the people who control it only do so for money. Would it be nice to put some one who loves the game for the game and not for the finical aspect of it.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Whats sad is all of us fans go to games and put so much into our teams and college football because we love it. While the people who control it only do so for money. Would it be nice to put some one who loves the game for the game and not for the finical aspect of it.
I think fans of every conference should be able to agree with that statement

Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,311 times
This is college football - why does there have to be a national champion? Same is true of all other college sports - why do we have to insist on there being a best team in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football