U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:20 PM

718 posts, read 2,152,704 times

Advertisements

At this time of year, there are plenty of people discussing the BCS system and the need to have a college football playoff series. I have no idea how I would sit down and try to figure out a system to appease everyone. I have thought about this for a long time, and here are some of the questions I cannot get around:

- How many teams? Which would lead to how many games.
- How are the teams seeded?
- Does #1 play#10 and so on (like basketball)?
- What about the "bowl" games with ties to specific conferences? Would
they be left in place as round 1 games or phased out?
- Would the games be played on neutral fields (through the entire playoff), or
played at the highest seed's home field? If home field is guaranteed, the
weather would play a factor in teams from the north and NW.
- Would the games start after the conference finals, or after the new year?
This is the time of year when the boys have their finals and are making
their way home for the holidays.

I know I have a lot more problems, but these are the main ones I think about when I try to come up with a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 PM

180 posts, read 325,363 times
what I don't understand is people that only want an 8 team playoff, there are over 30 bowl games so there's no reason you can't have 24 teams. THat'd be 22 games.

The thing with 8 or even 4 teams is that nobody will be able to agree on the final 4 or 8. People would make cases for 10-1 teams, teams that play in conf. with championship games and lost when the Big Ten and Pac 10 don't have conf. championship games, teams from smaller conf. like MAC, MTN West etc.

Where's the cutoff? With 24 you'd really eliminate it. I mean look at Texas and Oklahoma and Missouri, look at Alb. and FLA. There isn't even a concensus overall 6 teams. If it were only 4- 8 teams there'd still be
******ing about who's in and who's out.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,840,369 times
Bottom line: BCS should be incorporated into a playoff system. I would take the top 16 teams according to the BCS rankings and start out with 8 games and go from there. These 8 games could have the same "Bowl game" type format except the winner of these "Bowl" games would advance into the next round. After the first round, highest seed would play the lowest seed leading to the National Championship game. That's all I got!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,382 times
First great topic.

Im sure this would cause just as much complaining and just as many problems. If you incorporated the BCS or some kind of poll where you could determine if one year 16 teams where strong enough to deserve to play in a playoff as opposed another year where say the top 8 are so far ahead of the rest it should just be 8 teams.

Metamucil, has a good point about teams being left out and complaining about it. What can you do, look at the NCAA tourney where 65 teams get in and you still get complaints from 4-5 teams that got left out who feel they should be in.

There will never be a system where everyone is happy.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM

718 posts, read 2,152,704 times
My husband and fight about this a lot. He thinks there should be a playoff. I know the current BCS is flawed and would love to see an acceptable solution. The "bunch up" at the top of the standings between Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma shows how screwed up it is. Hypothetically speaking, what if Florida beats Alabama in the SEC championship and Missouri beats Oklahoma, the there would be 4 teams with a one loss record at the top of the polls. Who goes then?

I thought this would be a good topic for conversation and was curious to see if anyone had any insight to making the system fair for everyone!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
My playoff system

The Basics:

-28 team playoff, 5 rounds
-The Top two from EACH confrence, 5 wildcards (from the top 25 who where left out), and the #1 independent with at least 7 wins... if not, a 6th wildcard.
-#1 and #2 teams confrences are on opposite sides of the bracket and they get bye weeks in the second rounds.
-Have 14 bowl games associated with the tournament so all the teams that lose a game will still play for something in the post season.

The Setup:

-BCS conf. vs. Mid-Major
-Wildcard vs. Wildcard/Independent
-Mid-Major vs. Wildcard
-Each match up will be based on geographical location of each confrence (i.e. Pac-10 vs. Mountain West, Big Ten vs. MAC......)

Bowl Games associated with it:

-The 4 BCS games (Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta)
-The 10 1st/2nd round bowls (New Orleans, New Mexico, GMAC, Independence, International, Cotton, Gator, Liberty, Sun, Capital One)
-The teams that loose in the first and second rounds would have to wait until the third round to find out who they play in the selected bowl games. Teams that loose in the BCS Rounds (3rd/4th rounds) would have to wait until after the last game of the 4th round to find out which BCS Bowl they will play in.

What will this system do:

-Give EVERY team an equal chance to at least play for the National Title.
-slightly extend the most popular (yet one of the shortest) sports seasons in America
-put an end to teams sharing championships
-create new rivalries
-make both sides happy, since this is a playoff system, with some BCS elements.
-Most of all, it will put an end to computer geeks picking who plays who.....

Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM

521 posts, read 1,491,144 times
I think that a playoff grid that goes beyond say 12 teams in an NFL type scenario (where 4 top teams receive a bye-week) is out of the question. Anyone who wants a March Madness Scenario with 16+ teams is just thinking out of their ass and have got to remember that theres alot more than sports that is at stake. I think we need to remember that these are college student/athletes and they shouldnt be expected to play so much more. You'd be basically making them professional athletes through college.

So the playoff system should not take longer than, say, 3 weeks. The above case scenario, 12 teams, would take 4 weeks to play out. So I'd say a 6 team playoffs with the top two teams having a bye week, or a 4 team playoffs with no bye week to the top two teams.

Last edited by wesside; 12-04-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,093,273 times
I would love to see a system where the top 8 BCS teams play in a playoff, seeded 1-8 according to their ranking. Play these games as bowl games so everyone still gets their money. Play the first round, consisting those 8 teams which comes out to four games, as the BCS bowls. Swap out the Rose and bring in the Cotton. The four teams that win will play in two more "bowl games," and then the winner plays in the BCS title game.

All the other bowls remain intact for those who don't qualify for the 8 team tourney.

In reality, I would settle for the so called "plus one." Just match up the top four teams in BCS bowls and playing the winners in the BCS Championship would be enough for me.

And remember, for all the flaws the BCS has; it is better than the alternative from long ago. Remember? For example, the Michigan-Nebraska split title in the 90's? Or Penn State's number two ranked undefeated team from the early 90's that never got any shot to play for a national title in any sort of BCS title game? BCS is flawed; but it is MUCH better than what the system used to be.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
My playoff system

The Basics:

-28 team playoff, 5 rounds
-The Top two from EACH confrence, 5 wildcards (from the top 25 who where left out), and the #1 independent with at least 7 wins... if not, a 6th wildcard.
-#1 and #2 teams confrences are on opposite sides of the bracket and they get bye weeks in the second rounds.
-Have 14 bowl games associated with the tournament so all the teams that lose a game will still play for something in the post season.

The Setup:

-BCS conf. vs. Mid-Major
-Wildcard vs. Wildcard/Independent
-Mid-Major vs. Wildcard
-Each match up will be based on geographical location of each confrence (i.e. Pac-10 vs. Mountain West, Big Ten vs. MAC......)

Bowl Games associated with it:

-The 4 BCS games (Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta)
-The 10 1st/2nd round bowls (New Orleans, New Mexico, GMAC, Independence, International, Cotton, Gator, Liberty, Sun, Capital One)
-The teams that loose in the first and second rounds would have to wait until the third round to find out who they play in the selected bowl games. Teams that loose in the BCS Rounds (3rd/4th rounds) would have to wait until after the last game of the 4th round to find out which BCS Bowl they will play in.

What will this system do:

-Give EVERY team an equal chance to at least play for the National Title.
-slightly extend the most popular (yet one of the shortest) sports seasons in America
-put an end to teams sharing championships
-create new rivalries
-make both sides happy, since this is a playoff system, with some BCS elements.
-Most of all, it will put an end to computer geeks picking who plays who.....
If my system existed now, this is how it would look:

#1 conf.

SEC: #1 Alabama v #4 Florida

ACC: #17 Boston College v #15 Georgia Tech
C-USA: ECU v Tulsa

Ind. #1/Wldcrd #1: Navy v #3 Texas
Wildcard #2/#5: #7 Texas Tech v #18 BYU

Pac-10: #5 USC v #19 Oregon
WAC: #9 Boise St. v Nevada

#2 conf.

Big XII: #2 Oklahoma v #20 Missouri

Big Ten: #8 Penn St. v #10 Ohio St.
MAC: Buffalo v #12 Ball St.

Wildcard #3/#4: #14 Oklahoma St. v #15 Georgia
Mountain West: #6 Utah v #11 TCU

Big East: #13 Cincy v Rutgers
Sun Belt: Troy v UL Lafayette

Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,382,400 times
All the teams with the best record will play each other in a playoff depending on how many teams there are

the schedule will be a random selection like a lottery

If there is only one team with the best record, then all the teams with the second best record will play a tournament

Or just have a four team playoff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football