Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
And they turned down a chance to play Boise St, HMMMM? Hope they have fun in the Motor city bowl vs Minnesota.

Also

GO MIZZU
Yeah thats an interesting decision, a little scared maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 PM

Just a sidenote

Richmond 33, Appalachian State 13, knocked out of the Division 1-AA playoffs.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I'm guessing they're regretting it now. I'm much more excited to watch TCU play Boise State instead.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
Quote:

Yea, I can think any other reason. If your an undefeated team from the MAC looking to gain respect wouldn't you want a shot at a pretty good team?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I'm guessing they're regretting it now. I'm much more excited to watch TCU play Boise State instead.
Yeah I bet Boise State will be a bit reliefed that they didn't accept due to what happened last night.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Yea, I can think any other reason. If your an undefeated team from the MAC looking to gain respect wouldn't you want a shot at a pretty good team?
Yeah pretty much, if I were Ball State I would of accepted that Boise State game without any dobut.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:29 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Yeah pretty much, if I were Ball State I would of accepted that Boise State game without any dobut.
I don't mean any disrespect to Boise; but Ball State made the right decision. Ball State is more interested in setting up a bowl that people from Indiana can travel to. No one wants to travel to Boise to watch the Cards. At least in Detroit, fans can drive up to see them play if they want. Ball State also does not want to play in a bowl game that gives Boise a competitive advantage. Boise State has won something like 97% of their games on that ridiculous blue turf since 1999. It should be noted, since you all are ripping Ball State for being "scared" to play Boise; that Boise State turned down the chance to play outside of Boise; but the Broncos were afraid to voluntarily leave the comforts of that blue turf.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:41 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I don't mean any disrespect to Boise; but Ball State made the right decision. Ball State is more interested in setting up a bowl that people from Indiana can travel to. No one wants to travel to Boise to watch the Cards. At least in Detroit, fans can drive up to see them play if they want. Ball State also does not want to play in a bowl game that gives Boise a competitive advantage. Boise State has won something like 97% of their games on that ridiculous blue turf since 1999. It should be noted, since you all are ripping Ball State for being "scared" to play Boise; that Boise State turned down the chance to play outside of Boise; but the Broncos were afraid to voluntarily leave the comforts of that blue turf.
Agreed. It would be a huge Boise State advantage. However, Ball State is a bottom tier team, they have to take on all challengers if they want to prove they're worth anything. You can't have your signature win be against Indiana and expect to be taken seriously but I guess it's all a moot point now. Boise vs TCU is going to be a much better game and now Boise is going to be the ones who have to prove that they deserve to be there.

Side Note: I think that there are basically three levels of college football now. You have the elite programs like OU, FL, and USC (basically the BCS conferences). Second tier would be Boise, Utah, BYU, TCU, etc. And the bottom would be teams like Ball State (flash in the pan who put together one good season against no competition). The lower two tiers need to compete against the level above them if they want to be taken as legit.

*I know this isn't an earth shattering theory, or even original, but it's pretty much the basis for my argument so I figured I would regurgitate it.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:47 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Agreed. It would be a huge Boise State advantage. However, Ball State is a bottom tier team, they have to take on all challengers if they want to prove they're worth anything. You can't have your signature win be against Indiana and expect to be taken seriously but I guess it's all a moot point now. Boise vs TCU is going to be a much better game and now Boise is going to be the ones who have to prove that they deserve to be there.

Side Note: I think that there are basically three levels of college football now. You have the elite programs like OU, FL, and USC (basically the BCS conferences). Second tier would be Boise, Utah, BYU, TCU, etc. And the bottom would be teams like Ball State (flash in the pan who put together one good season against no competition). The lower two tiers need to compete against the level above them if they want to be taken as legit.

*I know this isn't an earth shattering theory, or even original, but it's pretty much the basis for my argument so I figured I would regurgitate it.
The dirty little secret about Ball State is that they have no interest in maintaining this level of success in the program. The coaches don't even have their own offices. If Boise wants to come out of their home and play someone, they can. Ball State University only sees dollar signs, and those dollar signs don't exist in Boise. In 30 years, when another Nate Davis falls into their laps and another alum is coaching and actually cares, we can discuss Ball State's program again.

But folks; please don't accuse Ball State of being scared. Boise State is just as afraid to leave Boise.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Can you eloborate a bit?? (Not being a smart a*s or anything).

I can see why Ball State turned it down, as you said seting up a bowl where people from Indiana can travel to watch it.

On a netural field though I still see Boise State winning easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football