U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:52 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,817,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
The dirty little secret about Ball State is that they have no interest in maintaining this level of success in the program. The coaches don't even have their own offices. If Boise wants to come out of their home and play someone, they can. Ball State University only sees dollar signs, and those dollar signs don't exist in Boise. In 30 years, when another Nate Davis falls into their laps and another alum is coaching and actually cares, we can discuss Ball State's program again.

But folks; please don't accuse Ball State of being scared. Boise State is just as afraid to leave Boise.
Isn't Boise State ment to be playing their bowl game in San Diego?? (according to the experts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Can you eloborate a bit?? (Not being a smart a*s or anything).

I can see why Ball State turned it down, as you said seting up a bowl where people from Indiana can travel to watch it.

On a netural field though I still see Boise State winning easily.
Per the Indianapolis Star and that paper in Muncie; the discussion was where to play the bowl. The easiest option was Boise. Ball State was not about to play a bowl game in Boise against Boise State. There were other places they could have tried to play; but Boise State didn't put forth the effort to play the game anywhere but Boise. Whether this is all heresay or not I don't know. But let's be real about this, Ball State is no more scared than Boise State. It just comes down to logistics and money and they couldn't agree.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:58 PM

In hindsight now though the Boise turndown seems to of been a good one. If they had won they could of played them to see if they were for real, had a decent national audience but since they lost I guess its not as important as it was before last nights game and now they can focus on having a bowl game not so far away from them where they can bring in their fans.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:59 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,228,883 times
Quote:
Per the Indianapolis Star and that paper in Muncie; the discussion was where to play the bowl. The easiest option was Boise. Ball State was not about to play a bowl game in Boise against Boise State. There were other places they could have tried to play; but Boise State didn't put forth the effort to play the game anywhere but Boise. Whether this is all heresay or not I don't know. But let's be real about this, Ball State is no more scared than Boise State. It just comes down to logistics and money and they couldn't agree.
It's actually the Humanitarian Bowl committee who was trying to arrange the game and not Boise State. They need to get some attention to their pitiful bowl and the only way to do that was to get Ball State to play Boise in Boise.

Now that the BSU vs BSU game is off it looks like it will be Nevada vs some low ranked ACC team. No one wants to see that game; it will get horrid rating and generate barely anything for the local economy as it probably won't even sell out in the small stadium. At least "the battle of the undefeateds" would have garnered a little interest and kept the Humanitarian Bowl around for a few more years.

Boise State would much rather play in a BCS game (not gonna happen) or against a quality opponent such as TCU on a neutral field.

I agree, it's all about dollars, for both sides.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah tru, after having time to think about it more I'll take back my previous comments about them being scared.

For them, I'd take the option what would make you the most money, because lets be honest, Ball State will want to try and get everything money wise out of this season because it might not happen again for a while. I'd probaly do the same thing if i were them.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:12 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Yeah tru, after having time to think about it more I'll take back my previous comments about them being scared.

For them, I'd take the option what would make you the most money, because lets be honest, Ball State will want to try and get everything money wise out of this season because it might not happen again for a while. I'd probaly do the same thing if i were them.

Okay but how much money would they have gotten if they played in the Humanitarian bowl as opposed to lets say the Motor City bowl? I would bet a game between Boise St and Ball St would have had HUGE ratings and made alot of money. I dont think the majority of that revenue would have been from fans traveling to see the game but from networks and ad's, which I have to imagine would be popular for a game like that.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Okay but how much money would they have gotten if they played in the Humanitarian bowl as opposed to lets say the Motor City bowl? I would bet a game between Boise St and Ball St would have had HUGE ratings and made alot of money. I dont think the majority of that revenue would have been from fans traveling to see the game but from networks and ad's, which I have to imagine would be popular for a game like that.
Yeah that game would be huge, big TV ratings, but since Ball State lost the decision not to play BSU seems to of been a good one, with a one loss Ball State team wouldn't of carryed the same merit as an undefeated Ball State team.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
It's actually the Humanitarian Bowl committee who was trying to arrange the game and not Boise State.
Which is why that bowl was the easiest option. According to the Indy Star, there were other possibilities they could have set up; but Boise (and probably Ball U as well) wasn't interested enough to make it happen.

As long as there is an acknowledgement that Ball State wasn't "scared," which they were not, than I am satisfied.

Florida is looking good right now for the SEC title.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:06 PM

7,222 posts, read 8,233,397 times
the Arizona Wildcats clinched their first winning season in 10 years.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
the Arizona Wildcats clinched their first winning season in 10 years.
Farout, first winning season in 10 years, wow, thought they had one eariler than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football