U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,738,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
If Texas had gone instead of OU, I'd still be pulling for the Longhorns. I'm the same way in pro sports. The team that beat your team pulling out the win only proves that your conference is better and I'll always pull for the Big XII.

I would be different if you were in our shoes, trust me. I would root for OU if they had beatin Texas.

However again we dont need to get into another OU Texas debate. My focus is on Ohio St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 AM

743 posts, read 1,188,531 times
This reminds me of the Michigan/Ohio St rematch debate a couple years ago.

The bottom line is that Texas is not the best team in their conference (like Mich was not the best a while back), so they cannot play in the championship game. End of story.

You cannot have 2 teams from the AFC in the Super Bowl, you cannot have 2 teams from the Western Conference in the NBA Finals, even if they are the two best teams in the country. It's not fair but it's the way the system is set up.

Texas agreed to the system that made them the 2nd place team in their division, so they have no one to blame but themselves. If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have agreed to let the BCS determine their conference standing.

And don't forget, if UT beat Texas Tech, they would be preparing for the national championship game instead of bitching about a BCS at-large bid.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,568,219 times
Its real simple.

If the tables were turned, TX fans would be using the same defenses and analogies for them going to the NC as OU fans are using now. And OU fans would be using the same gripes and complaints about how they beat TX on a neutral field and the computers are stupid that TX fans are using now.

Its nothing more than situational complaints in supporting either team. A playoff could eliminate those complaints, but alas we do not have one. Undefeated Auburn still owns possession of the ultimate snub. A perfect season in a top conference does not deserve to be a side show bowl. I do think USC was the better team and would have beaten Auburn as easily as they did Oklahoma (Auburn only beat VT by a field goal in the Sugar Bowl), but Auburn deserved a shot.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 AM

seriously folks can we focus on OU vs Florida and Texas vs Ohio St. Heck maybe even Utah gives Bama a run for their money. How about Cinci vs Va Tech.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 AM

743 posts, read 1,188,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
...Once again it comes down to a playoff, we will never know if Florida could beat Texas or whatever because computers decide it, when it should be done on the field. It is really disgusting some nerds math formula decides college football.
Quote:
...The Texas OU and Tech are tied is correct, however I think it's obvious that because of their BCS standings Tech wasn't really in the debate...
(bolding added)

I love how you use the same BCS evil computer ranking to completely dismiss Texas Tech who beat Texas on the field after complaining that Texas got screwed by the BCS computers.
Don't like it? Beat Texas Tech. Or even schedule a real non-conference schedule. UTEP and Arkansas? At least OU played a BCS caliber Cincinnati and Top 25 TCU. In my book, this gives them a slight edge over UT, and that is reflected in the BCS standings.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,922,409 times
And why was Tech dimissed in the BCS? Oh yeah, because OU stomped a mudhole in them. So OU's argument would have been stronger if they beat Tech by 3? I don't think so. People forget that 2/3 of the BCS is human votes.

I digress. I think this will be great bowl season. I like Tulsa-Ball State, as well as OSU-UO.

The Big 12 has a good chance to go 6-1 in their bowl games, and if Texas can pull it off, make it 7-0.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:29 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,893,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
And why was Tech dimissed in the BCS? Oh yeah, because OU stomped a mudhole in them. So OU's argument would have been stronger if they beat Tech by 3? I don't think so. People forget that 2/3 of the BCS is human votes.

I digress. I think this will be great bowl season. I like Tulsa-Ball State, as well as OSU-UO.

The Big 12 has a good chance to go 6-1 in their bowl games, and if Texas can pull it off, make it 7-0.
Texas will STOMP Ohio State; I don't think the Buckeyes stand much of a chance.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,922,409 times
Quote:
It will be the toughest defense UT has faced all year. I think it will be close, I actually give an edge to tOSU, they are 3-0 in the Fiesta bowl. An extra month for their true Frosh QB can't hurt either.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I agree which is why I am disappointed they didn't match us up with Bama. Now that would have the top 2 Big XII teams vs the top 2 SEC teams. That would have gone a long way to settle the who is the best conference debate.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,893,121 times
Quote:
I agree which is why I am disappointed they didn't match us up with Bama. Now that would have the top 2 Big XII teams vs the top 2 SEC teams. That would have gone a long way to settle the who is the best conference debate.

It should have been Texas versus Bama. I agree wholeheartedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football