U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,344,976 times

Advertisements

^ It cracks me up about all these conspiracy theories.

And we now see what a great football player Vince Young is. (Yeah, ditto for Matt Leinart.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 02:34 PM

10,543 posts, read 12,042,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Of course it did.......

But so did the head to head with Texas Tech

And so did the head to head between OU and Texas Tech.

All Texas Tech had to do to go to the BCS NC was to beat OU by one point. They had already beat Texas. If they could beat Texas and OU, beating Missouri would have been no problem, and Tech would have gone to Miami.
That's not the same thing. The head to head only counted inthat it was a loss just like the other losses. When used to evaluate to teams as conmpared to each other, the fact that one beat the other was not the decision point. It was in other situations.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:40 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That's not the same thing. The head to head only counted inthat it was a loss just like the other losses. When used to evaluate to teams as conmpared to each other, the fact that one beat the other was not the decision point. It was in other situations.
Your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense, seriously. Care to elaborate?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,681,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

And we now see what a great football player Vince Young is. (Yeah, ditto for Matt Leinart.)

I am one to differ between NFL and college. I would say Young was one of the best college football players ever. Sometimes it doesn't translate into the NFL. However, I would give Vince more time to say he is a bust.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM

180 posts, read 326,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

but the Heisman isn't for best potential NFL player but for best college player period.

there have been numorous Heisman winners that have flopped in the NFL, it doesn't diminish their college careers any less with me. I also think it's too early to judge both of the above in regards to them being flops.

the problem for many is they are usually skill players (QB, RB) and being high draft picks tend to get put on bad teams and expected to produce right away b/c of the big contract given. This is esp. damning for QB's, (see Alex Smith or Matt Leinart vs. Aaron Rodgers) and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Can anyone fault the Texans for taking the big d-line man over the small not-every-down-now-injured Reggie Bush? in the end they did the right thing for their organization. perhaps that's a bit off-topic.

I'm curious to find out how Tebow will fare, so many FLA QB's have flopped in the NFL, incl. some Heisman winners. I think TT could succeed but maybe not even as a QB.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:37 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,344,976 times
^ It also reminds me of a college football Heisman winner who didn't even play in the NFL. Charlie Ward wound up w/ the Knicks in the NBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football