U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,117,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I agree, it was a joke Ohio State got in. Obviously, the Osu AD has a talented tongue and mouth, if you catch my drift.
It is pretty obvious you don't know much about the college bowl system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
TCU was ranked #11 before their Bowl game victory. Why would you think they'd drop to #15? They should wind up in the lower part of the top 10. Just imagine if they didn't choke against Utah, they'd be playing in a BCS Bowl game.
If they played any team in a BCS game, outside of the Big East/ACC, they would get crushed. Heck, I'm confident that Florida State would easily beat any of the mid-major teams ranked in the Top 25...and Boise State getting passed up for Ohio State? I hate Ohio State as much as anybody but they're much bigger draw than Boise and a much better team.

I bet TCU will be in the top 10 but I don't think they should be. This bowl season has made it obvious that there is still a huge talent spread between the mid-majors and the big boys. Sure, a team like TCU or Boise State can pull the occasional upset, but they can't compete on a weekly basis. Look at BYU getting stomped by an average Pac 10 team.

The mid-majors have been getting way too much respect lately for barely doing anything; Utah has been riding high all year from barely beating a horrible Michigan team, Boise State earned their cred from beating an Oregon team that doesn't resemble the team we saw the other night, BYU almost lost a horrible UW team and TCU earned their cred by beating BYU.

TCU's defense has been getting alot of credit for holding OU to only 35 pts. Well, I bet if they would have played OU late in the season when OU had a chip on their shoulder, OU would not have taken their foot of TCU's throat in the 3rd qtr and instead would've put up 55pts on them.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just sick of hearing about how the mid-majors are on the same level. I hope they are some day but they're not there yet. Feel free to disagree.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,327,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
If they played any team in a BCS game, outside of the Big East/ACC, they would get crushed. Heck, I'm confident that Florida State would easily beat any of the mid-major teams ranked in the Top 25...and Boise State getting passed up for Ohio State? I hate Ohio State as much as anybody but they're much bigger draw than Boise and a much better team.

I bet TCU will be in the top 10 but I don't think they should be. This bowl season has made it obvious that there is still a huge talent spread between the mid-majors and the big boys. Sure, a team like TCU or Boise State can pull the occasional upset, but they can't compete on a weekly basis. Look at BYU getting stomped by an average Pac 10 team.

The mid-majors have been getting way too much respect lately for barely doing anything; Utah has been riding high all year from barely beating a horrible Michigan team, Boise State earned their cred from beating an Oregon team that doesn't resemble the team we saw the other night, BYU almost lost a horrible UW team and TCU earned their cred by beating BYU.

TCU's defense has been getting alot of credit for holding OU to only 35 pts. Well, I bet if they would have played OU late in the season when OU had a chip on their shoulder, OU would not have taken their foot of TCU's throat in the 3rd qtr and instead would've put up 55pts on them.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just sick of hearing about how the mid-majors are on the same level. I hope they are some day but they're not there yet. Feel free to disagree.
Yes, I do disagree, but the Fri. Utah game pretty much has you eating your words.

Let's not forget TCU was probably Utah's toughest challenge. And Utah just demolished an Alabama team that was ranked #1 at one point and #4 when the Sugar Bowl began. Utah, IMO, should be ranked #2. (The winner of the BCS game, of course, should get #1.)

Kudos to non-BCS schools that not only put up a good fight, but sometimes win, like Utah has done twice this decade so far (and BSU did to OU a couple years ago).

Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Yes, I do disagree, but the Fri. Utah game pretty much has you eating your words.

Let's not forget TCU was probably Utah's toughest challenge. And Utah just demolished an Alabama team that was ranked #1 at one point and #4 when the Sugar Bowl began. Utah, IMO, should be ranked #2. (The winner of the BCS game, of course, should get #1.)

Kudos to non-BCS schools that not only put up a good fight, but sometimes win, like Utah has done twice this decade so far (and BSU did to OU a couple years ago).
Utah impressed me but I stand by what I said; they would be demolished by USC, FL, OU, or TX and they could not compete on a weekly basis. We've seen this before, small team plays the game of their life and shocks an off-guard BCS school who proved to be overrated and under prepared. Last night's game was just as much of a testament to Alabama not deserving to be there as it was Utah deserving it. For every Utah or BSU bcs win there is twentyfive blowouts.

If you're so confident in your mid-majors, why didn't you comment before the game? The mid-major fairweather bandwagon will be full now that the game is over.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:25 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,117,251 times
Quote:
Utah impressed me but I stand by what I said; they would be demolished by USC, FL, OU, or TX and they could not compete on a weekly basis. We've seen this before, small team plays the game of their life and shocks an off-guard BCS school who proved to be overrated and under prepared. Last night's game was just as much of a testament to Alabama not deserving to be there as it was Utah deserving it. For every Utah or BSU bcs win there is twentyfive blowouts.

If you're so confident in your mid-majors, why didn't you comment before the game? The mid-major fairweather bandwagon will be full now that the game is over.
Everybody is a genius after that fact. Not one person came in here and said Utah was going to win this game or in the Bama v. Utah thread. Only one team was excited about playing in the Sugar Bowl; and it wasn't Alabama.

Having said that, the Mountain West is the best non-BCS conference IMO. The MWC has the history and strength, it would seem, to have a stronger BCS tie in than say the WAC or C-USA. The MWC is nearly as good as the Big East.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Everybody is a genius after that fact. Not one person came in here and said Utah was going to win this game or in the Bama v. Utah thread. Only one team was excited about playing in the Sugar Bowl; and it wasn't Alabama.

Having said that, the Mountain West is the best non-BCS conference IMO. The MWC has the history and strength, it would seem, to have a stronger BCS tie in than say the WAC or C-USA. The MWC is nearly as good as the Big East.
Agreed

Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,200,442 times
On any given game, ANY big time BCS conf. team can get beat by a Mid-major, just like we saw last night.

So to me, it's not fair to say these teams can't compete with the "big boys".
You just never know....

Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,327,544 times
Quote:

Obviously, in general, a non-BCS school won't be as competitive in football as a BCS school. But there are exceptions and we should tip our hats to those who overachieve when most think they will fail, such as BSU and UU the past few years.

I didn't make predictions b/c I'm not so ignorant to say that such and such will lose b/c they're from a stinky division. I just enjoy and respect the teams for what they do and cheer on the ones who are told they will fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football