U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,314,287 times

Advertisements

Let's list and discuss some differences in the rules between professional football (specifically, NFL) and college football. I'll list a few and opine which I think is better. Feel free to do the same.

NFL: You are tackled when a knee or elbow touches the ground due to an opponent touches you.
College: You are tackled when a knee or elbow touches the ground, even if you fall on your own.
Verdict: NFL's rule is better b/c an opponent should be involved in tackling.

NFL: Overtime games can be decided by a coin flip and end in a tie.
College: Games will continue infinite overtimes until a winner is determined.
Verdict: College rule is better b/c I hate ties.

NFL: Defensive pass interference penalty is as long as the intended pass (or 1/2 the distance to the goal line or to the 1-yard line) and automatic 1st down.
College: Defensive pass interference penalty is always a 15 yards (or 1/2 the distance to the goal line or to the 1-yard line) and automatic 1st down.
Verdict: College rule is better b/c it makes the offense work for those yards and DPI can be used strategically to prevent a big play.

I'll stop here for now, even though I'm thinking of a few more differences in rule. I'd be curious in what you think, either of the rule difference I already mentioned or other ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:43 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,541,461 times
I don't like the college pass interference rule. While if you are a DB and are slipping and know that you don't have help over the top, it's smart to just grab the guy you are covering to prevent the big play. However, it's kind of like cheating since you are committing a foul. It violates the spirit of the rules if it's done all the time.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 AM

4,589 posts, read 11,967,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Let's list and discuss some differences in the rules between professional football (specifically, NFL) and college football. I'll list a few and opine which I think is better. Feel free to do the same.

NFL: You are tackled when a knee or elbow touches the ground due to an opponent touches you.
College: You are tackled when a knee or elbow touches the ground, even if you fall on your own.
Verdict: NFL's rule is better b/c an opponent should be involved in tackling.

NFL: Overtime games can be decided by a coin flip and end in a tie.
College: Games will continue infinite overtimes until a winner is determined.
Verdict: College rule is better b/c I hate ties.

NFL: Defensive pass interference penalty is as long as the intended pass (or 1/2 the distance to the goal line or to the 1-yard line) and automatic 1st down.
College: Defensive pass interference penalty is always a 15 yards (or 1/2 the distance to the goal line or to the 1-yard line) and automatic 1st down.
Verdict: College rule is better b/c it makes the offense work for those yards and DPI can be used strategically to prevent a big play.

I'll stop here for now, even though I'm thinking of a few more differences in rule. I'd be curious in what you think, either of the rule difference I already mentioned or other ones.
I hear ya.....I'm kinda thinking I like the NFL's stance on pass interference though........

here's a few more that bugg me.....

1st down -
college - Play clock stops
Pro's - Keeps going
I like the NFL's stance on this one.....makes for a more fast-paced game.

Stupid Face Masking rule -
NFL is an auto 15 yards no matter what....touch the face mask and your penalized...crazy....Hate that new rule....this is percisley why the NFL is turning into such a wussy game...they're all about protecting their assets so no one hits really anymore...not like they did back in the day anyway....

Oh....and the Instant Replay with Fumbles... do they reallly need to review EVERY friggin fumble???

Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,091,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

I think this is the only one I disagree with. If a defensive back grabs a reciever to prevent a fifty yard pass; there should be a fifty yard penalty. The offense should not have to "earn" the yards it would have had if the defender had not pulled down the reciever IMO. It is similar in logic to the NBA's clear path to the basket rule.

The only rule differential that comes to my mind right now that I think should be changed is stopping the clock to move the chains. In the last two minutes of a half, I am fine with it. But with 12 minutes left in the third quarter, why are we stopping the clock to move the chains? I would like to see the college game limit clock stoppages for moving the chains.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
college only requires a receiver to have one foot in bounds for a reception, but it should be just like the NFL with both feet inbounds. I think it is just good habit to make a rule in college since these receivers would try out for the NFL anyway. Might as well make it easier for them once they transition or tryout for the NFL.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:55 PM

4,589 posts, read 11,967,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
college only requires a receiver to have one foot in bounds for a reception, but it should be just like the NFL with both feet inbounds. I think it is just good habit to make a rule in college since these receivers would try out for the NFL anyway. Might as well make it easier for them once they transition or tryout for the NFL.
This is true too......makes no sense to have that difference between levels.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,657,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Stupid Face Masking rule -
NFL is an auto 15 yards no matter what....touch the face mask and your penalized...crazy....Hate that new rule....this is percisley why the NFL is turning into such a wussy game...they're all about protecting their assets so no one hits really anymore...not like they did back in the day anyway....

Oh....and the Instant Replay with Fumbles... do they reallly need to review EVERY friggin fumble???
Actually the new rule is better. There is no penalty for incidental contact on the face mask. So if someone gets the face mask and lets go right away, there is no penalty. But when they grab the face mask and take them to the ground by it, then there is your 15.

As far as replay, I don't mind it, but speed it up. If it is obvious, then get under there, see it, then get out and make the call. Easy.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,314,287 times
You guys and gal make some good points. But the reason I like the college PI rule is b/c in the NFL, I see too many bad calls go against a good defender that unfairly gives the offense a 40-50 yard boost. You can say in college, a bad defender can use PI as a crutch to limit the gain to 15 yards, but that's part of the strategy. In basketball (both college and pro) for example, a defender can interfere on a breakaway to make the player earn 2 points via free throws rather than get an easy layup.

I like the clock management of the NFL compared to college. I like instant replays, so I have no beef with either how college and NFL does it. I like 2-point plays after TDs, so I'm glad the NFL finally allowed it several years ago.

Let's see, what are some other differences in terms of rules.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,419 times
So I agree with the face mask rule because who the hell wants to get taken down by their face?? That's how accidents/serious injuries happen and some of our best players get lost!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Actually the new rule is better. There is no penalty for incidental contact on the face mask. So if someone gets the face mask and lets go right away, there is no penalty. But when they grab the face mask and take them to the ground by it, then there is your 15.

As far as replay, I don't mind it, but speed it up. If it is obvious, then get under there, see it, then get out and make the call. Easy.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,945,239 times
Back in the 50s and 60s they were knocking each others teeth out quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football