Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:13 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

Look, I know most Longhorns fans are upset that OU (a team the the Texas beat) was picked to go to the Big XII and, ultimately, the National Championship game over the Horns. You might not think it's fair (I sure don't), but I've got three words for ya....

GET OVER IT!

I hate that OU is going to the National title game just as much as any die-hard Longhorn fan, and I'm a TCU fan. I especially hate it that I have to hear one of my friends from OKC trash talk (eventhough I constantly remind her that Texas beat OU, and that still counts for something..... right?). But the bottom line is, OU is in the Championship game and Texas isn't.

Now you can write all the hate mail and throw bricks in the windows of the BCS HQ, but it wont do any good. Texas had a great season. They only lost one game, so be proud of that. Take the season for what it was instead of what you wanted it to be.

And if there's any Texas Longhorns players reading this... don't hang your head. I know Phoenix isn't Miami (no offense), and the Fiesta Bowl isn't the National Championship.... but it's SOMETHING. Just go to your bowl game, take care of business, make the best out of it, have fun...... Because there are worst things than being "the good team that got left out". Just ask the Washington Huskies......

Why do I feel like Jim Rhome all of a sudden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:01 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
I honestly Hope Mack Brown and Texas do what a growing majority of Texas fans want and say F%$^ YOU to the BCS and play some other team in a bowl.

Would you not rather your team suck and know it, than your team beat BOTH teams in the Big XII game and can do nothing about it?

It doesn't matter Florida will beat OU and it will all be a dead topic.

GO GATORS

Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Bottom line: Texas got hosed!! And, I ain't no Texas fan!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I honestly Hope Mack Brown and Texas do what a growing majority of Texas fans want and say F%$^ YOU to the BCS and play some other team in a bowl.

Would you not rather your team suck and know it, than your team beat BOTH teams in the Big XII game and can do nothing about it?

It doesn't matter Florida will beat OU and it will all be a dead topic.

GO GATORS
Well, all you can do now is just cheer for the Gators....

I heard that UT was probably going to end up in the same situation USC was in back in the '04 season..... winning a share of the National Title.

If that happens, it won't mean much, but hey, the Horns can at least say they're National champs.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:56 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Bottom line: Texas got hosed!! And, I ain't no Texas fan!
UT got hosed by their easier schedule compared to OU's. While the BCS is far from perfect, I think they got it right for the national championship game. The FL/OK game should be a great one.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
If only Texas had played better against Tech, then there wouldn't be this conversation in the first place. Losing to OU in any other year is one thing, Jim Rome, but losing to Tech?? That hurt more than anything. Not wishing to take away from Tech, you understand. They did what they needed to.

I'll look, instead, on the bright side. Colt McCoy is coming back for his senior season next fall. I look for another stellar recruiting class, and a number of coaches picking Texas number one going into August. All the more reason for optimism in 2009.

Hey, at least the national championship has a Big 12 representative. That's good for the conference.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
The problem is that in the scenario with Texas and OU, head to head didn't count. For Florida and Alabama, it did. Alabama lost to a very good Florida team, and Florida lost to Ole Miss, good not great, but they won head to head. The inconsistency in approaches is a problem.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The problem is that in the scenario with Texas and OU, head to head didn't count. For Florida and Alabama, it did. Alabama lost to a very good Florida team, and Florida lost to Ole Miss, good not great, but they won head to head. The inconsistency in approaches is a problem.
Yeah, different conferences have different tiebreaker rules. It seems silly. : \

Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
......... in the scenario with Texas and OU, head to head didn't count..........
Of course it did.......

But so did the head to head with Texas Tech

And so did the head to head between OU and Texas Tech.

All Texas Tech had to do to go to the BCS NC was to beat OU by one point. They had already beat Texas. If they could beat Texas and OU, beating Missouri would have been no problem, and Tech would have gone to Miami.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
In the end Texas got hosed because the BCS is a money maker. Its like when Vince Young did not win the heisman but then clearly showed that he was the best palyer that year in college in the Rose bowl. Just the politics of college football that has been around for years and isn't going no where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football