Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:10 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times

Advertisements

does DIII offer scholarships?

I understand that DIA probably will get the heaviest, largest, strongest D-lineman, and O-lineman, but what about the other positions like receivers, DBs?

Cant those DIII skill positions players get spots on say some average to mediocre D1A team like Wazzou, or Iowa State or Fresno State?

How would the best high school team do against a mediocre DIA team, or even a DII team?

Who is the best high school team this year? Is it Southlake Carroll again? Who on the top teams are going to DIA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
I did not say they would have beat them, I said they would have been competitive.

I think the best high school teams (St Ignatius, Northwestern(FL), Southlake Carroll) could beat the majority of DIII schools. Maybe not Mount Union, as you are talking about a school that has won a ridiculous amount of championships recently, but a lot of them.

I have been to a number of DIII games, as I grew up in Canton, OH which was like 20 minutes from Mount Union, and, I am telling you, the games between Canton McKinley and St Ignatius had way more talent on the field.

I found this online
Here is this years St Ignatius Football Roster
St. Ignatius High School Boys Football Roster 08-09 - MaxPreps

Here is this years Mount Union Roster
http://www.uwwsports.com/sports/foot...yoffroster.pdf

While there is a small size advantage for Mount, it is not that much. And, I would be willing to wager, that, maybe except for Mounts Running Back, Kmic, who is awesome, that St Ig's skill players are better than Mounts.

You have to remember, too, that the best High Schools have amazing facilities. My high school has a 20000+ seat football stadium, and a weight room and athletic center, pool, etc that rivals DII schools easily. Mount Union has a "field" that isn't even 1/4th of Fawcett's size.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
does DIII offer scholarships?
?
They don't offer full athletic scholarships, as far as I am aware, but they offer partials, and, if you have decent grades, they will find you a way to get your school paid....

Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Another point:

My high school in the last ten years has had at least 4 people that have played in the NFL (and one Offensive Coordinator!) but Mount Union has only had one as far as I am aware, and he just got drafted onto the Colts as a punt returner

Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 PM

Here is another link..http://www.maxpreps.com/ohio/footbal...th=,local,team

Here is a link to the high school I went to, their roster for the Upcoming football season. They had a very mediocre year for them, 6-5 (went to playoffs).
Look at the sizes.. some are a smidge undersized, but there are some OL's and DL's that are DI sized right now, and just as big if not bigger than the majority of the line at the DIII schools

My ex gf, her sister dated a player at Mount, and we would go to High School games, and he even commented that the teams we would go watch (McKinley, Massillon, Colerain, Ignatius, Warren Harding) would have beat Mount, and that he never would have even gotten on the field at any of those schools.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:53 PM

105 posts, read 580,131 times
A mediocre HS team could beat a Div.3 Team. Good teams in the states (I'm from Canada) have typically at least one Div.1 Caliber player on their team, maybe 2. Even more Div.1-AA or Div.2 players. A Div.3 team don't have those kind of players (maybe a couple Div.2 caliber players) so the only shot they have is at being stronger and more physical (since they could be up to 4 years older)

That alone is mediocre HS teams, if the best played the worst, HS would win 99 out of 100.

BTW, Div.3 teams have no athletic scholarships, it's all through academic scholarship.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Yes sir!

No offense but Mount Union would have beaten you easily. I have no doubt that those McKinley teams could have easily beaten many D 3 schools though.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:11 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I did not say they would have beat them, I said they would have been competitive.

I think the best high school teams (St Ignatius, Northwestern(FL), Southlake Carroll) could beat the majority of DIII schools. Maybe not Mount Union, as you are talking about a school that has won a ridiculous amount of championships recently, but a lot of them.

I have been to a number of DIII games, as I grew up in Canton, OH which was like 20 minutes from Mount Union, and, I am telling you, the games between Canton McKinley and St Ignatius had way more talent on the field.

I found this online
Here is this years St Ignatius Football Roster
St. Ignatius High School Boys Football Roster 08-09 - MaxPreps

Here is this years Mount Union Roster
http://www.uwwsports.com/sports/foot...yoffroster.pdf

While there is a small size advantage for Mount, it is not that much. And, I would be willing to wager, that, maybe except for Mounts Running Back, Kmic, who is awesome, that St Ig's skill players are better than Mounts.

You have to remember, too, that the best High Schools have amazing facilities. My high school has a 20000+ seat football stadium, and a weight room and athletic center, pool, etc that rivals DII schools easily. Mount Union has a "field" that isn't even 1/4th of Fawcett's size.

This is true. I remember visiting Mount Union before my senior year in HS and being amazed that our football facilities (Uniontown Lake) were much, MUCH nicer than theirs. This was 15 years ago, thay may have updated since.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,160 times
Have you ever seen some of the best HS teams? They not only could compete with d3 schools but could challenge a few d2 schools as well. Teams like hutchinson hs, abeline hs. have close to every starter going to a division 1 school. how could a team like lets say willliamson free school of trade (one of the worst d3 colleges out there) compete with 11 division 1 prospects? if you look at film and the playing level of these hs and d3 teams its a no brainer. Best HS team will win.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:53 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,524 times
The best HS team in America would slaughter the worst D-III team. For example, Maryville High School, which is the best HS program in TN, would demolish Maryville College, a D-III team in the same city that's hardly the worst D-III team in the nation. There are hundreds of HS programs in CA, TX, OH, and FL that would easily handle Maryville HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football