U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:20 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,820,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
How come the Big-10 does not get its own bowl game in Midwest?

It is not fair that they have to come to SoCal all the time
Unfortunatly its the way it is.

But next year USC goto Ohio State, and at least they have the balls to schedule teams like that, not Div-1AA teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Unfortunatly its the way it is.

But next year USC goto Ohio State, and at least they have the balls to schedule teams like that, not Div-1AA teams.
Thats because they have to play world beaters like UW and Stanford every year.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
He said what was on his mind. Instead of a being politically correct wussy. That's classless? I respect that. He's being straight up, not a double speaking, say nothing politician. Yeah, I thought it was great.
Anything lacks class if you have to start it "with all due respect to the other teams" "I know there is no way to back up what I'm about to say, but we are the best team evar!!! No one can beat us!!!!"

It's mighty bush league, you know the norm for Carrol. Coming from the same guy who had Lendayle White and Reggie Bush in the backfield and still wanted AD in the worst way, he's a complete moran.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,672,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I wish Utah could play one more game! I mean they are 13-0 and just beat the crap out of Bama, would love to see them play one more game, maybe against the winner of FL, OU.

I think they have more cause to claim the #1 spot than USC does. Utah beat Bama more thoroughly than Florida did. USC says they should be #1 when Utah even before the Bama victory had the tougher strength of schedule. I think Utah deserves in part the #1 spot.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,018,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
How come the Big-10 does not get its own bowl game in Midwest?

It is not fair that they have to come to SoCal all the time
The Rose Bowl has been around since the 30s. In fact, a few times teams like Harvard, Brown, and Mare Island-USMC, even Alabama played in the game. Odd, huh? Anyways, why wouldn't teams want to play there? It's warm and in SoCal. Bowls were originally set up in warm weather climate. Colleges would have to take trains for days to get there. Why would anyone back in the day take a train to freezing Ohio or New York in January? Eastern teams have been more than happy coming out and have done very well, in fact, holding a winning record.

It has been traditionally played between the Pac-10 and Big-10, just like the Sugar Bowl has traditionally included a SEC/Southern team throughout the years. There is no SC conspiracy going on just like there is no SEC conspiracy regarding the Sugar Bowl. Every Pac-10 team except Arizona has played in the Rose Bowl.

It's like Mattyj said, "it's the way it is." If the Big-10 presidents did not want to play there, I'm sure they could get to together and opt out.

Now, can the whine go away regarding West Coast teams traveling east? It happens all the time. Case in point, my Oregon Ducks played Oklahoma, Michigan, Illinois, Mississippi State (awesome fans) the last few years and have Purdue, Tennessee, Georgia, Kansas State all scheduled in the next few years.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post

Now, can the whine go away regarding West Coast teams traveling east? It happens all the time. Case in point, my Oregon Ducks played Oklahoma, Michigan, Illinois, Mississippi State (awesome fans) the last few years and have Purdue, Tennessee, Georgia, Kansas State all scheduled in the next few years.
And don't forget USC travelled to Virginia in its season opener I think it was.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM

2,013 posts, read 2,014,077 times
USC is undefeated against SEC teams in the Pete Carrol era. In fact, can anyone name the last non Pac-10 school to beat USC in the regular season? I beat you can't.

Why is it that USC has to be kept to a higher standard then the east coast teams? Fla. lost to an unranked Ole Miss??? Why are they in it? SEC was so overrated this year!!! Tenn. was ranked at the beginning of the season and a lowly UCLA beat them!!! What about Georgia, they too were highly ranked, lets face it, the SEC wasn't that good this year. Only Alabama and Florida were decent, and Alabama lost to Utah!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Just like every other team USC controlled their destiny, if they did not lose a game they would be playing for #1. Win every game then there will be no discussion.

I think a few SEC teams could beat USC.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
USC is undefeated against SEC teams in the Pete Carrol era. In fact, can anyone name the last non Pac-10 school to beat USC in the regular season? I beat you can't.
2002 @ K-State I believe. Big 12!!!!!! Big 12!!!!!!! Big 12!!!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
2002 @ K-State I believe. Big 12!!!!!! Big 12!!!!!!! Big 12!!!!!
Great research, I know I was struggling.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:00 PM

36 posts, read 12,736 times
I love this argument. seems to happen every year with usc fans. do you remember a few years back, when undefeated auburn was left out because of west coast bias? usc fans usually forget that year, because it worked out in their favor. so once again, we are left with whining pete carrol, and usc fans claiming they are the greatest team in history because they beat a big 10 team at home. florida did lose to at the time, unranked ole miss. after the destruction of texas tech in texas, ole miss will finish in the top 15 most likely. the tenn vs. ucla thing is pointless. both teams were bad this year, and it took overtime for ucla to beat tenn. georgia beat arizona state out west. granted arizona state didn't meet expectations, but how was georgia to know that. georgia won their bowl game and will most likely end up in the top 10. utah did beat alabama, without andre smith, the best offensive lineman in college football. not an excuse, just a factor. you know what else you failed to mention? utah also beat oregon state, who beat usc, so again the logic is failing. the system isn't perfect, but it's the one we got. I guess the usc players will have to wait until the nfl to get a shot at the sec. how did that work out for keith rivers this year? oh that's right, sec wide receiver hines ward broke his face and knocked him out for the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post

Why is it that USC has to be kept to a higher standard then the east coast teams? Fla. lost to an unranked Ole Miss??? Why are they in it? SEC was so overrated this year!!! Tenn. was ranked at the beginning of the season and a lowly UCLA beat them!!! What about Georgia, they too were highly ranked, lets face it, the SEC wasn't that good this year. Only Alabama and Florida were decent, and Alabama lost to Utah!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or