U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM

4,589 posts, read 11,981,115 times

Advertisements

That was a seriously awesome game! Love the outcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,442,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise76 View Post
florida has beaten 2 that will finished ranked? alabama, georgia, and florida state will be in the top 25 final poll. lsu also has a shot at cracking the top 25 after their destruction of the number 13 team in the country. I am pretty score of the florida vs. alabama was 31-20. the score of the utah vs. alabama game was 31-17. how is one a blowout, and the other one not? that's a bit confusing. also, florida beat alabama without their best player. utah beat alabama when alabama didn't have their best player. call it an excuse, but I call it a fact. alabama allowed 11 sacks all year. in the utah, without the best offensive lineman in the country, they gave up 8. I highly doubt utah's defense is that good. I think that if florida was to play utah, the third stringers for the gators would be in by the second quarter.
On the ranked teams, you got me. I forgot that Florida State would be going back in to the rankings and that LSU will at least get votes for top 25.

As for against Alabama:
How much of the game did Florida lead against Alabama? None of the first 3 quarters. How many points did Florida score against the highly praised Alabama D in the first quarter? 7, and 17 in the first half. Utah put up 21 in one quarter. Who was injured or missing? With the exception of a big punt return TD and a fumble near the red zone, Alabama never showed any other signs of life against Utah. Remember it wasn't Alabama's offensive line that everyone was bragging on all year, it was their defense. Who was missing from their D? Looked like everybody was missing in the first quarter. Against Florida, Alabama held the lead into the fourth quarter. If you cannot see the difference, I don't know what else to tell you. I wouldn't call Utah's win a blowout, but it was a dominating victory, unlike Florida's. BTW, who was Florida missing when they lost to Ole Miss, is there an excuse for that too? BTW, they LOST. LOST. LOST. LOST.

If you think Florida's third string would be in by the second quarter, why weren't they in at all against Alabama?

If Florida's offense is so high powered, why did they score 30 against Alabama and the Utes scored 31? Is there an excuse there?

I am not trying to say that Utah deserves the national championship, I am saying they deserve a chance to play for it. Maybe Florida would beat them, maybe they wouldn't. But outcomes should be decided on the field, not on paper. Everyone decided on paper that even missing their best O-line guy, Alabama would win in a cakewalk. We see how well playing on paper works in the real world.

On paper, the New York Giants would not have knocked of the team that was being touted as the greatest of all time in the Super Bowl. Paper may be right many times, but I prefer seeing it on the field.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,676,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
As much as I want Texas to be #1, it's not gonna happen. It will be out of whoever wins Thursday.

Utah will (or should) be #2 (at least). If there was any real justice in this world, they would be #1. Regardless of what confrence they're in, they are still the only FBS school that's undefeated.

It's a toss up for #3 between Texas, USC, and (depending on the outcome), the National Title runner up.

I would think that the loser of the BCS game would be behind USC, Texas and Utah. Just because they would have two loses.

Texas really had to win by a large margin to get any hope for an AP title and they didn't, oh well. I look at it like who even thought Texas would be in this spot before the season started, cant wait for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
That was a seriously awesome game! Love the outcome!

Seems like Texas has been involved in a number of games like that. cant get enough of the catch by Cosby

Game winning TD

Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM

36 posts, read 12,742 times
I don't worship tebow. he's not even the focal point of the offense. it's two days before the big game, so I have another day of trash talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Pretty bold talk the day before the big game. I hope the Sooners will shut that trap clap closed for the rest of year to tell you the truth.

However, if those who worship Tebow and kiss his godliness win this game, I'll be back to give you my dues.

Deal?

Will you do the same?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
How much of the game did Florida lead against Alabama?
kind of a moot point. football games are 4 quarters.

Quote:
Who was injured or missing?
um, how about this guy. there is a reason they label him the most dominant offensive lineman of the last decade.

Andre Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
BTW, who was Florida missing when they lost to Ole Miss, is there an excuse for that too?
florida lost by 1 on a missed extra point, to a 4 loss team, who is coming off destroying the best team in the big 12. no one was missing, but urban meyer didn't know how to run the offense yet. it wasn't until after the ole miss wake up call, that meyer started playing demps and rainey, their two leading rushers.

Quote:
If Florida's offense is so high powered, why did they score 30 against Alabama and the Utes scored 31? Is there an excuse there?
I think they both score 31. I already told you that florida was without their best player. he was hurt in the florida state game. you will see what he does against the sooner defense, and perhaps appreciate how much he means to the offense.

Quote:
I am not trying to say that Utah deserves the national championship, I am saying they deserve a chance to play for it.
they absolutely do not. that's not the current system. I don't like the current system, but it's what we're stuck with. utah is not playing for the national championship. the last time the gators won in 06, boise tried to say the same thing. no one listened then, and no one is listening now.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,442,710 times
Quote:
kind of a moot point. football games are 4 quarters.
If you want to call it a moot point, you have that option. I just view it a bit differently when one team comes out and spends more time behind than ahead only to pull it out in the end, vs a team taking complete control immediately and not ever letting the other team get back in the game.

Quote:
um, how about this guy. there is a reason they label him the most dominant offensive lineman of the last decade.Andre Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Okay, Andre Smith was the reason Utah wiped their butts with Alabama's defense in the first quarter? I guess I missed where he played both sides of the ball.
Quote:
florida lost by 1 on a missed extra point, to a 4 loss team, who is coming off destroying the best team in the big 12. no one was missing, but urban meyer didn't know how to run the offense yet. it wasn't until after the ole miss wake up call, that meyer started playing demps and rainey, their two leading rushers.
There is that word again! LOST.

Quote:
I think they both score 31. I already told you that florida was without their best player. he was hurt in the florida state game. you will see what he does against the sooner defense, and perhaps appreciate how much he means to the offense.
Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
they absolutely do not. that's not the current system.
I think you missed my point. They deserve a chance to be in a playoff for the championship. I realize the current system would not allow them to a BCS championship. But I think any division I program should have the possibility to win it all, otherwise, they need to kick all the non-BCS teams down a division.

Quote:
I don't like the current system, but it's what we're stuck with. utah is not playing for the national championship. the last time the gators won in 06, boise tried to say the same thing. no one listened then, and no one is listening now.
Boise had far less of an argument. They had a weaker schedule and barely pulled off a win against Oklahoma on a trick play. Utah had a much tougher schedule and capped an undefeated season with a very convincing win over a team that spent most of the year ranked #1 or #2. Had Utah lost, everyone would have been running around saying "told you so", "nobody can compete with the SEC", "the pretenders got taken to the woodshed", etc. But now that Utah not only beat but pretty much humiliated Alabama in New Orleans where most of the crowd were Alabama fans, its all about the excuses.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:20 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,858,628 times
Quote:
florida lost by 1 on a missed extra point, to a 4 loss team, who is coming off destroying the 3rd best team in the big 12.
Fixed.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM

what part of a 3 way tie for first place escapes you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Fixed.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 PM

if you can't run the ball, which is what alabama does, then you can't move the ball, and your defense is on the field too much. they play ball control football, and without the best offensive lineman in a decade, they couldn't do it. oklahoma had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to even get even with boise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
If you want to call it a moot point, you have that option. I just view it a bit differently when one team comes out and spends more time behind than ahead only to pull it out in the end, vs a team taking complete control immediately and not ever letting the other team get back in the game.

Okay, Andre Smith was the reason Utah wiped their butts with Alabama's defense in the first quarter? I guess I missed where he played both sides of the ball.
There is that word again! LOST.

Maybe, maybe not.

I think you missed my point. They deserve a chance to be in a playoff for the championship. I realize the current system would not allow them to a BCS championship. But I think any division I program should have the possibility to win it all, otherwise, they need to kick all the non-BCS teams down a division.

Boise had far less of an argument. They had a weaker schedule and barely pulled off a win against Oklahoma on a trick play. Utah had a much tougher schedule and capped an undefeated season with a very convincing win over a team that spent most of the year ranked #1 or #2. Had Utah lost, everyone would have been running around saying "told you so", "nobody can compete with the SEC", "the pretenders got taken to the woodshed", etc. But now that Utah not only beat but pretty much humiliated Alabama in New Orleans where most of the crowd were Alabama fans, its all about the excuses.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,858,628 times
Quote:
what part of a 3 way tie for first place escapes you?
OU 13-1, UT 12-1, TT 11-2. No more 3 way tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football