Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times

Advertisements

The problem is that everyone thinks the playoff games THEMSELVES have to be bowl games. They don't.

But you still don't need to get rid of a single bowl game. You just have the playoffs begin right after the regular season ends, around Thanksgiving. First round takes place that weekend, then the next weekend, the remaining four teams square off. Now you have your top two remaining teams, and you're still only in early December, at the most.

Everyone who lost in the playoffs now gets an AUTOMATIC bid to one of the big bowl games. Keep Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange as the "Big Four." Three of them host the six playoff losers, and the other one hosts the national championship between the two remaining teams. The national championship goes on a four-year rotating cycle among the bowls.

Meanwhile, whoever didn't finish in the top 8 can still go to one of the other 7,000 bowl games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Without a national champion there is no point in playing the game at all.
I COMPLETELY disagree. Using that logic, conferences like the MAC and WAC might as well not even have football programs, because they'll never be in competition for the title. It IS possible to play for pride, and the love of the game.

But since most people insist on having a clear-cut winner, college football really needs to come up with a system that pleases the most people.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:31 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,056 times
Gnab's is probably the best idea I have heard in a long while.

To another post: you can't have the college playoffs going through Jan. and ending the first week of Feb. The simple fact is that is when the NFL playoffs run. They don't want to fight for air time and advertising dollars against the big boys.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM

105 posts, read 580,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
The problem is that everyone thinks the playoff games THEMSELVES have to be bowl games. They don't.

But you still don't need to get rid of a single bowl game. You just have the playoffs begin right after the regular season ends, around Thanksgiving. First round takes place that weekend, then the next weekend, the remaining four teams square off. Now you have your top two remaining teams, and you're still only in early December, at the most.

Everyone who lost in the playoffs now gets an AUTOMATIC bid to one of the big bowl games. Keep Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange as the "Big Four." Three of them host the six playoff losers, and the other one hosts the national championship between the two remaining teams. The national championship goes on a four-year rotating cycle among the bowls.

Meanwhile, whoever didn't finish in the top 8 can still go to one of the other 7,000 bowl games.
Alot of people are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying that I'm not in favour of a playoff, but I'm trying to get some of the people who insist on it to realize why it won't happen, at least for a while.

Thanksgiving is rivalry week I believe, and how will you decide who gets in before the conference championships? Unless you do it after of course, then it's back to square one. The playoff games get in the way of the smaller bowls on TV, which would again as I said earlier, make the sponsors pull their names out. This isn't in the interest of the BCS

As for the "Big 4" bowl games, wasn't that how it worked? In 2005 when USC and Texas played in the Rose Bowl for the national championship, there wasn't a Rose Bowl game before that was there?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
There is a big plus for the current bowl scenario.

All of those 60+ teams get an extra month of practice and that has to help for next year.

By going to a playoff, you would have to start the procedure soon after the regular season ends, and since only 2 teams are in the final playoff that means most teams lose out on that extended practice time .

Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,509 times
I'm good with a plus one game. It's far from perfect but it's much better than the current situation and it keeps the bowl season intact. We also need to scrap the preseason rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football