Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
SO do you have a problem with me ranking USC 5th or is the disagreement about Oregon St beating USC?
I don't have a problem with any of what you said. Your opinion is your opinion. I just don't agree with it. Personally, I don't think any team in the country would've beaten USC in any bowl game. Just ask Lee Corso.

I think with USC's 35-3 whipping of Ohio State, compare that to Texas's win over Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. That Fiesta Bowl was a relatively close game. So I would have USC higher then Texas and Oklahoma by virtue of them getting thumped by Florida. So that leaves only Utah and Florida. Utah had a great season, but do you think they would've beaten USC? I don't. Now that leaves only Florida.

Now that should've been the true National Championship game. And I know I am biased, but I would've taken USC!

But since there is no playoff, we'll never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I think with USC's 35-3 whipping of Ohio State, compare that to Texas's win over Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. That Fiesta Bowl was a relatively close game. So I would have USC higher then Texas and Oklahoma by virtue of them getting thumped by Florida. So that leaves only Utah and Florida. Utah had a great season, but do you think they would've beaten USC? I don't. Now that leaves only Florida.
Just ask Lee Corso. LMFAO!!

Bowl games are a little different then home games in Oct. Esp. with a TRUE frosh QB and not having their starting RB.
We'll see what happens next year in Columbus.

Thumped? Really? I remember it being tied with 11 min. to go in the 4th.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with any of what you said. Your opinion is your opinion. I just don't agree with it. Personally, I don't think any team in the country would've beaten USC in any bowl game. Just ask Lee Corso.

Now that should've been the true National Championship game. And I know I am biased, but I would've taken USC!

But since there is no playoff, we'll never know.
I am not disagreeing with you about the brute of USC (in fact I agree); but you will have to employ better logic than this if you want to make a point. USC played Ohio State earlier in the year with the Bucks missing their best offensive weapon. Texas saw a much improved Ohio State team than USC did.

Also; Texas felt they should have been playing for a national title; they were not as amped up for the Fiesta bowl as Ohio State. OSU had something to prove; Texas would have rather been somewhere else. See Utah and 'Bama for another example of this.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Just ask Lee Corso. LMFAO!!

Bowl games are a little different then home games in Oct. Esp. with a TRUE frosh QB and not having their starting RB.
We'll see what happens next year in Columbus.

Thumped? Really? I remember it being tied with 11 min. to go in the 4th.
We'll see, and I may just go to that game since my sister lives in Columbus. I've been to Ohio State a few times, but not during a football game. I can't wait!! I don't think USC will be as good this coming year, but I think they will beat Ohio State again.

I've even been in their basketball arena, Shottenstien Center, I think it's called, when no one else was in the building but me and the security guy. That was cool.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I am not disagreeing with you about the brute of USC (in fact I agree); but you will have to employ better logic than this if you want to make a point. USC played Ohio State earlier in the year with the Bucks missing their best offensive weapon. Texas saw a much improved Ohio State team than USC did.

Also; Texas felt they should have been playing for a national title; they were not as amped up for the Fiesta bowl as Ohio State. OSU had something to prove; Texas would have rather been somewhere else. See Utah and 'Bama for another example of this.

You're right, Beanie Wells did not play. But the score was 35-3!! What if I give Ohio State 2 TD's, and take on away from USC, and that's being generous, USC still wins, 27-17!! I just don't think it would've made a difference.

USC also felt it should've been in the National Championship game too, and there was no letdown. Unfortunantely USC's letdowns come in Pac-10 play. USC beat a good Penn State pretty bad, so much USC's 2nd and 3rd teamers got to play in the 4th quater. I just wished they could've played Texas or Alabama instead of Penn State.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
You're right, Beanie Wells did not play. But the score was 35-3!! What if I give Ohio State 2 TD's, and take on away from USC, and that's being generous, USC still wins, 27-17!! I just don't think it would've made a difference.

USC also felt it should've been in the National Championship game too, and there was no letdown. Unfortunantely USC's letdowns come in Pac-10 play. USC beat a good Penn State pretty bad, so much USC's 2nd and 3rd teamers got to play in the 4th quater. I just wished they could've played Texas or Alabama instead of Penn State.
I think USC still would have knocked off OSU no matter what; but you just don't know what would have happened in that game if Beanie was in the line-up. Having him in the game changes the entire dynamic of that offense.

Also, OSU was going to throw their best effort into their bowl opponent no matter who it was. OSU has been killed nationally the past few years; and you are kidding yourself if you think the Bucks didn't acknowledge that and have a chip on their should going into the Fiesta Bowl.

Bottom line........Texas got OSU's best effort with their best weapons. USC didn't. You can't use that as a reason as to why USC is better.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
I would also add USC didn't face Wells at all and I don't believe Tyrell Pryor played as much vs USC as he did against Texas.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
give me a break. USC? they're terrible.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
give me a break. USC? they're terrible.
They do have a very good "D".

Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
name one good offense they played all year. hell, pitt held oregon state to 3 points in a bowl game. florida would have murdered USC. USC is responsible for more NFL draft busts than any other school in recent history.

carson 1 season palmer
matt the backup leinart
mike unemployed williams
reggie the return man bush
keith got my face broken by a WR rivers

those are just examples of high draft picks. USC is the same year in and year out. they play in a crappy conference, and then beat a second rate team from a second rate conference at home and pound their chest claiming to be the best. we hear about how many pros they produce, and I just gave you some examples of those "pros."

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
They do have a very good "D".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football