U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2009, 12:51 AM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,466,089 times
Reputation: 2125

Advertisements

1 Florida (48)13-11,60612 Utah (16)13-01,51973 USC (1)12-11,48154 Texas12-11,47835 Oklahoma12-21,39126 Alabama12-21,26447 TCU11-21,193118 Penn State11-21,15369 Ohio State10-31,0131010 Oregon

now Im not an OU fan but if the BCS placed the 2 best teams in the nation in the championship game then why did OU fall to #5 because they lost, they should be #2 regardless.

Why is Ohio St placed at 9 and Texas Tech at 12? Ohio St had one more loss then Tech and Tech even beat the #1 team in the nation.

If Utah is ranked #2 in the nation then why wernt they in the title game? They obviously feel Utah is the 2nd best team so why didnt they play for it.

These rankings are crap and pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2009, 01:11 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,559,598 times
Reputation: 18436
I agree. What meaningless crap. The only team that it means something to is the team that is considered #1. The rest don't matter.

I think the media wanted Gators-Sooners in the title game for ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,665 posts, read 6,494,833 times
Reputation: 4171
Look at who OSU lost to.. USC, Penn State, and Texas. 3 of the top 8 teams.

Sure, Tech beat texas, they also got SMOKED by Oklahoma and lost to Ole Miss, and if I recall correctly, didnt they almost lose to Baylor also? Plus, and through no fault of theirs, a lot of people still do not take them seriously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 AM
 
105 posts, read 512,881 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
1 Florida (48)13-11,60612 Utah (16)13-01,51973 USC (1)12-11,48154 Texas12-11,47835 Oklahoma12-21,39126 Alabama12-21,26447 TCU11-21,193118 Penn State11-21,15369 Ohio State10-31,0131010 Oregon

now Im not an OU fan but if the BCS placed the 2 best teams in the nation in the championship game then why did OU fall to #5 because they lost, they should be #2 regardless.

Why is Ohio St placed at 9 and Texas Tech at 12? Ohio St had one more loss then Tech and Tech even beat the #1 team in the nation.

If Utah is ranked #2 in the nation then why wernt they in the title game? They obviously feel Utah is the 2nd best team so why didnt they play for it.

These rankings are crap and pointless.
I think it's only fair to put the teams that won their bowl games (USC, Texas, Utah and of course Florida) over the Sooners since they lost. I think it's a consolation prize for those teams since they weren't able to make it to the National Championship, especially since they all had a case for it.

Ohio State gave Texas a fight in that game, and should have won it. I'm a longhorn fan and I hate to say it, but that boss on the sideline wearing a sweater vest had the game won, until he too messed up the game by sending the house on the touchdown throw to Cosby from McCoy.

Texas Tech at 12? I think it's fair. They got killed by Ole Miss, and I think everyone looked at that Texas game and relied on that to measure up how good they were. The fact is, they played inconsistent all year. They should have beaten Nevada, and Baylor by alot more than they did. They barely beat Nebraska in OT. They had a game with Eastern Washington, a team they should have manhandled (a Div.1-AA school that would have lost to Washington or Washington State)

Sure TTU played well against Texas and Kansas, but they showed their true colours in the Oklahoma loss. They were inconsistent, and really weren't even that good truly. They were hot in the Texas game, but that's about it.

Come on dude, don't be ignorant. The fact is, no one thought Utah even would be on the same field as Alabama (except for people with connections to the Utes program), and they beat them soundly. At first, no one believed they deserved to be in the title game. However after that game, they impressed everyone, and in hindsight, they had a stronger case for the national championship than anyone could have imagined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 AM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,857,229 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I think the media wanted Gators-Sooners in the title game for ratings.
If ratings were the case, I think that USC and UT both would have got better ratings than OU. They are in MUCH larger markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
now Im not an OU fan but if the BCS placed the 2 best teams in the nation in the championship game then why did OU fall to #5 because they lost, they should be #2 regardless.

These rankings are crap and pointless.
If that were the case than I guess 'Bama should have only fallen to #2 after they lost to UF. They fell further because thay didn't win their division. Just like OU fell further behind other Bowl game winners.

Kind of funny how everyone wants to bag on the BCS and the computer polls but at least the final computers had Utah #5. The AP had them at #7 behind Penn State. LOL.

You are right These rankings are crap and pointless, The AP poll almost always is and thats why it's not used in the BCS rankings.

Don't forget these are the same jackholes who rank everyone before the season starts as well. At least the BCS doesn't start their rankings until week 6 or 7, (mid OCT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,466,089 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbachk View Post
I think it's only fair to put the teams that won their bowl games (USC, Texas, Utah and of course Florida) over the Sooners since they lost. I think it's a consolation prize for those teams since they weren't able to make it to the National Championship, especially since they all had a case for it.

Ohio State gave Texas a fight in that game, and should have won it. I'm a longhorn fan and I hate to say it, but that boss on the sideline wearing a sweater vest had the game won, until he too messed up the game by sending the house on the touchdown throw to Cosby from McCoy.

Texas Tech at 12? I think it's fair. They got killed by Ole Miss, and I think everyone looked at that Texas game and relied on that to measure up how good they were. The fact is, they played inconsistent all year. They should have beaten Nevada, and Baylor by alot more than they did. They barely beat Nebraska in OT. They had a game with Eastern Washington, a team they should have manhandled (a Div.1-AA school that would have lost to Washington or Washington State)

Sure TTU played well against Texas and Kansas, but they showed their true colours in the Oklahoma loss. They were inconsistent, and really weren't even that good truly. They were hot in the Texas game, but that's about it.

Come on dude, don't be ignorant. The fact is, no one thought Utah even would be on the same field as Alabama (except for people with connections to the Utes program), and they beat them soundly. At first, no one believed they deserved to be in the title game. However after that game, they impressed everyone, and in hindsight, they had a stronger case for the national championship than anyone could have imagined.

come on, you dont be ignorant, Do you really understand what Im saying?

Why have polls and ranking if they dont mean crap, Dont say OU is one of the 2 best teams in the country at the end of the regular season then say they arnt at the end and this is what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 10:51 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,466,089 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
If ratings were the case, I think that USC and UT both would have got better ratings than OU. They are in MUCH larger markets.



If that were the case than I guess 'Bama should have only fallen to #2 after they lost to UF. They fell further because thay didn't win their division. Just like OU fell further behind other Bowl game winners.

Kind of funny how everyone wants to bag on the BCS and the computer polls but at least the final computers had Utah #5. The AP had them at #7 behind Penn State. LOL.

You are right These rankings are crap and pointless, The AP poll almost always is and thats why it's not used in the BCS rankings.

Don't forget these are the same jackholes who rank everyone before the season starts as well. At least the BCS doesn't start their rankings until week 6 or 7, (mid OCT)

I understand why Bama fell a couple spots, but what Im saying is that the regular season is over, the BCS picked the 2 best teams in the nation to play for the championship game and when that game is over we have the #1 team Florida and the #2 team Oklahoma and that is how the season should end. So the AP's results are #1 team Florida played the #5 team Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,674,850 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
come on, you dont be ignorant, Do you really understand what Im saying?

Why have polls and ranking if they dont mean crap, Dont say OU is one of the 2 best teams in the country at the end of the regular season then say they arnt at the end and this is what they do.

So by that the years when Ohio St was in the BCS title game and got blown out, but they should have been a top 2 team?

No way are they going to have a two loss team ahead of teams with 1 loss. Especially given how close things were between all these teams before the bowls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,466,089 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
So by that the years when Ohio St was in the BCS title game and got blown out, but they should have been a top 2 team?

No way are they going to have a two loss team ahead of teams with 1 loss. Especially given how close things were between all these teams before the bowls.

yes,even though they were blown out they should of still been a top 2 team otherwise they had no business playing in a championship game if they wernt.

they have Utah with no losses behind a team with 1 loss, they have Tech with 2 lost games and Oregon and Ohio St ahead of them with 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,674,850 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
yes,even though they were blown out they should of still been a top 2 team otherwise they had no business playing in a championship game if they wernt.

they have Utah with no losses behind a team with 1 loss, they have Tech with 2 lost games and Oregon and Ohio St ahead of them with 3.
I disagree. if a team shows they aren't on the same level as Ohio St did vs Florida and LSU they should not be #2 in the polls. It just shows as you have pointed out the polls dont always have the teams ranked where they should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top