U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,999,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
My food science prof. actually mentioned how Texas A&M and UT got more money than our school. So I wouldn't rule that out.

Still, SOMETHING better could have been done. They could have at least put freakin urinals in the restroom and CLEANED THEM every now and then....
Do they at least the old timey trough?? Or are we talking about the choice between stall and floor drain here? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:55 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,580,918 times
Maybe they have a bunch of bushes marked "men" and "woman."

Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Do they at least the old timey trough?? Or are we talking about the choice between stall and floor drain here? LOL
We've got troughs.
I couldn't go inside to take a pic. It's ugly, just like the rest of the stadium....

Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,157,795 times
It's very depressing that a football-mad state apparently doesn't have people who can support all of its programs. There's no reason why PV shouldn't be competitive with other I-AA universities in football.

Fwiw, the Texas legislature is barred from funding athletics in any way, as far as I know. Although I think UT got away with using PUF (oil) money in the 1960's to fund their home side upper deck by saying it doubled as classroom space...

Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM

16,532 posts, read 20,994,530 times
Shoe01 makes a good point. Some damn FINE ballplayers came through Prarie View starred in the old American Football League and NFL as well; Otis Taylor-Kansas City Chiefs, Jim "Earthquake' Hunt-Boston Patriots, Jim Kearney-Kansas City Chiefs, Ken Houston-Houston Oilers/Washington Redskins, and a host of others who had long careers. I can only imagine how the football alumni would feel about the issue. Sad!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-10-2009 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Shoe01 makes a good point. Some damn FINE ballplayers came through Prarie View starred in the old American Football League and NFL as well; Otis Taylor-Kansas City Chiefs, Jim "Earthquake' Hunt-Boston Patriots, Jim Kearney-Kansas City Chiefs, and a host of others who had long careers. I can only imagine how the football alumni would feel about the issue. Sad!
Yeah.

We need to write letters or start fundraisers, or SOMETHING.
Seriously, how in the hell can you call repainting the press box an upgrade? If no one here will build a new stadium, can't we at least tear down the visitor side? I'd do half the job for free!

But there is something that's more funny than sad about the field....
At both ends, there are two patches (mixed with dirt and dead grass). And for Homecomming and Senior Day, they decided to paint the endzones and midfield. And while they were at it, the school painted the grass as well (to make it look like Autzen Stadium), which slightly covered those spots.....
Ya just kinda have to laugh a little, knowing that this is the BEST they've done with the stadium in decades.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Status: "Moon landing 50th anniversary July 20." (set 4 days ago)

46,941 posts, read 37,087,196 times
Default More Than An Upgrade

There's no reason for something not to get done. This needs to not just be a collective campus effort, but it should also be a community effort. Certainly there's got to be someone or some organization that is willing to put forth money to build a new stadium at Prairie View. So what if the team's record hasn't been very good? That should not be an issue. The people behind this need to find it in their hearts to invest in their school, and the stadium should never be an exception. It's a part of campus life. They are deserving of a quality product that they can be proud of.

Tear down the current stadium and build a new one. You know, they really should.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
There's no reason for something not to get done. This needs to not just be a collective campus effort, but it should also be a community effort. Certainly there's got to be someone or some organization that is willing to put forth money to build a new stadium at Prairie View. So what if the team's record hasn't been very good? That should not be an issue. The people behind this need to find it in their hearts to invest in their school, and the stadium should never be an exception. It's a part of campus life. They are deserving of a quality product that they can be proud of.

Tear down the current stadium and build a new one. You know, they really should.
"Tear down the current stadium and build a new one."

You have no idea how many times I've YELLED that! And your right, it should be a community effort.
One problem.... Prairie View, Texas isn't exactly Bill Gates-ville. Plus, the town isn't big at all. Hell, the students make up at least 60% of the town's pop.
But more than anything, we all need to do something.
Of course, we have a campus newspaper, so maybe I can find a way to get the message thourgh to someone who works on it. And it IS effective. It got several students to march to the polls to vote (twice).
Maybe the students could all chip in 5 bucks or something every month? I don't know, but something's gotta be done.....
As for the town... it's more focused on trying to get more people to move there. (Good luck with that). But we're right in between two other towns with high school programs. They could help out.

BTW, the football team just had their first back to back winning seasons in 3 decades. So I don't think we have to worry about the play on the field... just the field, and what surrounds it.

Last edited by JJG; 02-10-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Status: "Moon landing 50th anniversary July 20." (set 4 days ago)

46,941 posts, read 37,087,196 times
You're right. They need a good place to play. Houston's not that far away, and certainly somebody there can offer help, especially if that person is an alumnus of PV A&M. Good grief, we're talking Texas and football here, folks. If they can build high school stadiums with luxury boxes, then certainly, Prairie View A&M can afford the same opportunity in a facility equally good. Doesn't have to be real huge, and it can be built to be easily expanded.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 PM

7,238 posts, read 8,245,233 times
First thing they need to do is to cut down that tree that blocks the scoreboard, that's just ridiculous to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football