U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,446,778 times

Advertisements

too bad - the linc is too big - i remember watching teams like miami come in (who I love) and play temple at the vet ..... even with that big of a crowd it just wasn't a great atmosphere

penn is a pain in the butt - but I always enjoyed catching a temple game down there - one year I saw them play WV and WV pretty much invaded ..... really wild time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Status: "Moon landing 50th anniversary July 20." (set 4 days ago)

46,941 posts, read 37,087,196 times
Default Well, They Have To Use It For Something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothartheterrible View Post
Want to see something sad?

This is Maverick Stadium in Arlington. It is on the campus of the University of Texas at Arlington.

A more than adequate football facility with a capacity of 13,000. The playing surface us FieldTurf, and it has fully functional press, coaching and concession facilities (the latter do not require wheels)...

Why is this sad?

UT-Arlington doesn't even have a football program!!!

The 1-AA UT-Arlington Mavericks football team played its last game in 1985. It's truly a shame that the Panthers have a home that is soooo much more sub-standard than a team that doesn't even exist.

I've seen Six-Man stadiums in West Texas that are more adequate...

I share your pain. At least at UTA, it's a great high school stadium.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM

723 posts, read 1,399,675 times
In my town, Charleston, there's several stadiums that could compete with the worst ones in the country.

There's a stadium, Stoney Field, which is one of the worst places to play in the nation. The bleachers have bent railings, the grass has big mounds of dirt in the middle of it, and 1/4 inch of rain the day of a game is enough to cancel or move the game.

Every year, the local high school has to move at least one game, usually more, to Monday night from Friday because of rain and poor drainage. The school, however, even though it is one of the lowest performing in the state, is one of the nicest, with a brand new gym, media center, and halls with barely a scratch of paper on them.

Here's a picture of it from a year ago from our local newspaper.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:43 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
In my town, Charleston, there's several stadiums that could compete with the worst ones in the country.

There's a stadium, Stoney Field, which is one of the worst places to play in the nation. The bleachers have bent railings, the grass has big mounds of dirt in the middle of it, and 1/4 inch of rain the day of a game is enough to cancel or move the game.

Every year, the local high school has to move at least one game, usually more, to Monday night from Friday because of rain and poor drainage. The school, however, even though it is one of the lowest performing in the state, is one of the nicest, with a brand new gym, media center, and halls with barely a scratch of paper on them.

Here's a picture of it from a year ago from our local newspaper.
Ouch. That's just a little more pathetic than ours....

Old 05-14-2009, 07:02 PM

56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Folks, I'd like to introduce you to the worst football stadium in America....

Prairie View A&M's Blackshear Stadium (or Field.... scoreboard and press box have different titles)

Take a look at our beautiful, state of the art workout facility.....

I didn't photoshop this, there is actually barbed wire on the fence of the home side

The trailer concssion stands.....

When there are leaves on this tree, there is no scoreboard to see....

That's not a pile of wood you're seeing.... that's the old visitor side, which used to be the home side back in the 60's. It's actually sunken in the middle.

These are the ONLY restrooms we have. The men's restrooms have no urinals. 5 's

A close up on the visiors side. It's made of old wood boards and rusted metal. There are no stairs, so you have to crawl over people to get a seat. Of course, there would have to be alot of people in order for you to crawl over them, but that doesn't happen very often. Not at THIS stadium. 10 's

Just pathetic. The only thing they did to this press box was repaint it. WOW! What an improvement! 100's and a .
There are also no locker rooms. The players have to walk to the basketball gym, instead. This place isn't even high school worthy.

WORST.... STADIUM.... EVER!!!
All I have to say is, Wow! Sad to see a HBCU play in those conditions.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 PM

56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Want to see something sad?

This is Maverick Stadium in Arlington. It is on the campus of the University of Texas at Arlington.

A more than adequate football facility with a capacity of 13,000. The playing surface us FieldTurf, and it has fully functional press, coaching and concession facilities (the latter do not require wheels)...

Why is this sad?

UT-Arlington doesn't even have a football program!!!

The 1-AA UT-Arlington Mavericks football team played its last game in 1985. It's truly a shame that the Panthers have a home that is soooo much more sub-standard than a team that doesn't even exist.

I've seen Six-Man stadiums in West Texas that are more adequate...
That's a bad stadium? I know it's Texas, but geez! I'm surprised that UT-Arlington hasn't tried to get Football back.

As for Prairie View, I've seen HS Stadiums here in NY that are better than that. I hope they get a new stadium.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:10 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,102,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I share your pain. At least at UTA, it's a great high school stadium.
Ha! Indeed it is, my friend.

In fact, it is almost as nice as Dragon Stadium in Southlake and the new one in Mansfield. Almost.....

Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,102,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's a bad stadium? I know it's Texas, but geez! I'm surprised that UT-Arlington hasn't tried to get Football back.
They have; student and alumni associations bring up the subject pretty much every year, but the board of regents always turns it down; they claim it would require too much revenue to re-instate the program (even though the student body has made it clear that the majority of them would approve of a modest hike in tuition and fees to support it).

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
Ha! Indeed it is, my friend.

In fact, it is almost as nice as Dragon Stadium in Southlake and the new one in Mansfield. Almost.....
Hey, I played at the new one in Mansfield. Forgot what it was called though.
It's a beaut.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,964,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Damn, I've seen high school football stadiums that are better than that. Is the basketball facility this bad too?

I was about to say. MY highschool in Charlotte (Independence High) was much better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football