U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 PM

5,855 posts, read 6,528,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

Clemson-South Carolina: I live within an hour of both these schools, it's amazing to me how much these two programs and their fans really hate each other, and it doesn't stop with the athletic programs either. Plus, these two have played some very close games recently.
(I'd give the nod probably to Clemson's Memorial Stadium, feel what Death Valley feels like.)
In retrospect, would that game been even better if So. Carolina had stayed in the ACC. And would Georgia-GT be far better today if Tech had stayed in the SEC?

Seems to me from an in-state perspective, South Carolina and Georgia Tech switching places back to their original places might make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 PM

I'd like to throw out a rivalry that won't make anybody's top three list and frankly isn't as strong as it once was, but is extremely special in the world of big time college football:

CAL-STANFORD

There is something quite unique about this intra-metro Bay Area rivalry whose tradition far surpasses its LA counterpart in USC/UCLA.

Cal and Stanford are rivals in far more than athletics and their histories has been intertwined since their late 19th century inceptions. They have played off of each in other both academically and ahtletically since the get go.

This is the ultimate BCS rivalry of academic titans, living within each others' shadow. It is only enhanced that it is public Cal vs. private Stanford. The Big Game that ends the season is the most traditional sporting event in the Golden State and this incredibly close rivalry has given us the most famous play in the history of college football, The Play....and the Stanford Band to boot.

Even the cruise ships that ply the Bay from Fisherman's Wharf get into the act. They come in the form of the Blue and Gold ships and the Red and White ones.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
In retrospect, would that game been even better if So. Carolina had stayed in the ACC. And would Georgia-GT be far better today if Tech had stayed in the SEC?

Seems to me from an in-state perspective, South Carolina and Georgia Tech switching places back to their original places might make sense.
I agree, especially because no matter what they do Carolina will never be truly embraced by SEC faithful (IMHO).

I like the rivalries between the schools with supposedly different cultures.

Clemson-Carolina
UVA-VTech
Alabama-Auburn
and so on....although they seem kinda over-ratted as far as being culture wars (How different are the populations of Clemson and Carolina?), they still have a fun color to em.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,209,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

It will never happen. South Carolina offended the tobacco road schools when we left. We tried to rejoin years later, in the 80's I think, and they basically said, "Well then, why'd you quit?" - totally ignoring why we actually did quit. Now we're in a more lucrative conference, so neither side has a good reason to reconcile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I agree, especially because no matter what they do Carolina will never be truly embraced by SEC faithful (IMHO).
Well, we just need to win at football.

However, I will say that we're already "embraced" to the extent that it matters to most of us. We're in the conference, we've beaten every team in the SEC at least once, I think most USC fans would agree that we don't need approval from other SEC fanbases.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,740 times
Well thats good to hear, (got family from carolina so's i support the gamecocks).

Old 09-29-2009, 04:44 PM

968 posts, read 1,525,210 times
I have been to a Clemson / South Carolina game in football, basketball, and baseball - IMO a lot of people outside the Carolinas do not realize how heated this rivalry is (in all sports)

would like to see:

Alabama/Auburn - this is what rivalries should be!
Texas/Texas A&M - Kyle Field is just a great venue, period.
Washington/Washington State - ESPN can make fun of the poor 2008 records all they want, the rivalry is still there!

Last edited by cougfan; 09-29-2009 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

I like the rivalries between the schools with supposedly different cultures.

Clemson-Carolina
UVA-VTech
Alabama-Auburn
and so on....although they seem kinda over-ratted as far as being culture wars (How different are the populations of Clemson and Carolina?), they still have a fun color to em.
In some ways, nobody does that "different cultures" thing as well as Indiana. Indiana, I believe, is unique. Both state schools were born full blown as universities and without the big brother/little brother relationship that virtually every other state with 2 major state u's has. The two are on equal footing and Indiana differs from other states in that the younger of the two, Purdue, dominates the older, IU, in football. No state, I believe, ever deliniated academic roles as much as Indiana has with perhaps the sharpest divide between liberal arts oriented IU and technologically oriented Purdue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football