U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,827,177 times
Reputation: 1324

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88;10614015[B
]Well, Coach Pete worries about everyone, so don't think you're getting overlooked. [/b]

As a fan, however, I just think Nevada is overtrumped. CK can't hit a brick wall in the middle of the field (though if he did he's throw the ball right through it), so let's see if he can hit a receiver (speaking of which, who do you have left there)? I love your two backs and your Dline, but I think the rest of your team has a lot of holes.
Wasn't meaning people at Boise State, I know a coach as good as Pete wouldn't overlook anyone. Just the general media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2009, 03:10 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,095 posts, read 23,734,486 times
Reputation: 7985
What, no love for McNeese State Cowboys of Lake Charles, Louisiana? They got a pretty good football team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 04:10 AM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,827,177 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What, no love for McNeese State Cowboys of Lake Charles, Louisiana? They got a pretty good football team.
Lol who? Fill me in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,095 posts, read 23,734,486 times
Reputation: 7985
Here's the recap of their 2007 season for example
MCNEESE STATE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 05:07 AM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,827,177 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Here's the recap of their 2007 season for example
MCNEESE STATE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Football
Impressive, I noticed that name when I see it, ahhh they were the team that played North Carolina close last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,448 posts, read 60,028,050 times
Reputation: 54111
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Have ya'll ever played Appalachain? They've been the 1-AA (FCS) king the past 1/2 decade or so. My team (ECU) actually plays them this week. Should be fun.
Noooooooooo, too big for us. The Pioneer League formed when the NCAA ruled that schools playing Division III football and Division I in other sports had to play Division I in all sports. A few schools like Dayton who were playing Division III football got together and formed their own league.

Here's a recent story about the league:

NCAAFootball.com :: FCS: Pioneer League offers NCAA football on a budget (http://www.ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=36&url_article_id=1648 7&change_well_id=2 - broken link)

Long time ago, UD ran with some of the big(ger) dogs. But there just wasn't enough money in the budget to keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 PM
 
14,283 posts, read 24,068,890 times
Reputation: 20143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
We need to worry about beating Notre Dame, we'll hang with anyone but its our defence what loses us game.

Its funny, all the Boise fans say, oh take away those lucky picks 6's, but the fact is you threw them and that made the game close, thats that. No two ways about it.

Our pass defence is much improved this year and no dobut if we get it right, we'll challenge Boise State, and its good that you're worryed more about Fresno State and LA Tech. Because lets face it, the WAC ain't gana be as bad as last year.

I also hate how people say Boise State has no teams left, they've got what should be a good few little challneges left in the WAC, and it seems that only WAC fans relise that Boise State still have a little few hurdles leftl

Personally, I do not believe that Nevada will do much this year or until Chris Ault finally retires for good. Rooting for Nevada is like being a Chicago Cubs fan - they will win it all NEXT year. In a good year, they will be 7-5. In a bad year, they go 5-7.

One year, they will have NO defense. When the defense recovers, they won't have a running attack or the QB is a rookie and they can't get the ball to the receivers.

Nevada under Ault is painfully inconsistent. One year, they have the Big West won if they beat Arkansas State at Jonesboro and they lose it on the last play. They have Northwestern beat in Chicago but lose it in the 4th Quarter.

In recent years, they generally lost two or three games when they play teams from a major conference (PAC10, Big12, etc.), they lose against Boise, lose against another top WAC team, and then they do not show up to play against a couple of other teams (Hawaii is generally one of those teams).

Personally, I really wish that teams like Nevada and Marshall had remained in Div 1-AA where they were always very competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,827,177 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I do not believe that Nevada will do much this year or until Chris Ault finally retires for good. Rooting for Nevada is like being a Chicago Cubs fan - they will win it all NEXT year. In a good year, they will be 7-5. In a bad year, they go 5-7.

One year, they will have NO defense. When the defense recovers, they won't have a running attack or the QB is a rookie and they can't get the ball to the receivers.

Nevada under Ault is painfully inconsistent. One year, they have the Big West won if they beat Arkansas State at Jonesboro and they lose it on the last play. They have Northwestern beat in Chicago but lose it in the 4th Quarter.

In recent years, they generally lost two or three games when they play teams from a major conference (PAC10, Big12, etc.), they lose against Boise, lose against another top WAC team, and then they do not show up to play against a couple of other teams (Hawaii is generally one of those teams).

Personally, I really wish that teams like Nevada and Marshall had remained in Div 1-AA where they were always very competitive.
Yes we have no defnese but we are still competitve, and for the bolded statement, thats just stupid, yes I think Ault is under a hell of a lot of pressure now but saying that you wish they were in Div1-AA is just plain stupid. I just really don't get it that people base the season off one game, you goto the Wolf Pack forum, and they're down, I just don't get it, after one game against a great ND team.

Hey at least we schedule these teams, I'd rather play a schedule like this year rather than play a schedule full of nobodys where you don't find out what your team is really like.

And we'll improve on defence in the coming year, we can't get worse than last year and the first game of this year, but on offence, we should keep doing very well. One thing I've learnt in the past few season rooting for Nevada is that you never know what you're ganna get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 AM
 
14,283 posts, read 24,068,890 times
Reputation: 20143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Yes we have no defnese but we are still competitve, and for the bolded statement, thats just stupid, yes I think Ault is under a hell of a lot of pressure now but saying that you wish they were in Div1-AA is just plain stupid. I just really don't get it that people base the season off one game, you goto the Wolf Pack forum, and they're down, I just don't get it, after one game against a great ND team.
They certainly weren't competitive with Missouri where the receivers were generally five yards behind the Nevada DBs. They weren't competitive with Nebraska a couple of years ago. They made the Nebraska defense look like they were national champions and UNL went on to a 5-7 season.

I am basing MY opinion on the past FIFTEEN years, not the UNR press guide. Personally, as of TODAY, I see Nevada as no better than 7-5 but 6-6 is more likely. They could easily be 0-3 to start the season.

In my opinion, Nevada should be playing teams like Toledo, Montana, Northern Illinois, Marshall and the like where they stand a chance of being in the game after the first quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,562 posts, read 4,969,219 times
Reputation: 1491
My Pirates have to go up to WVU this weekend. We completely shut them down last year. Historically, they dominate us. They lost a few key players.

Hopefully we can pull this one out and go into the next week (against in-state UNC) 2-0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top