Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:45 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times

Advertisements

ECU vs. marshall in the motor city bowl a few years ago was one of the best bowl games ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
ECU vs. marshall in the motor city bowl a few years ago was one of the best bowl games ever.

I dont recall that one. It must have never happened.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times

Go Owls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biggest win in Temple history: Giant Killers: Temple 1998 | Bleacher Report

Old 05-19-2009, 05:35 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Yeah they've been consistently good lately. I'm looking forward to the rematch myself. Although I know it'll be tougher to come out with a W this time.

I think we'll have about 4 or 5 national games as well. I didnt know the Tulsa game was so that's good. VT at home on Thursday night. Probably get the game vs UNC in chapel hill on TV. WVU in Morgantown is usually always on there and maybe App State opening weekend?? (I dont know about that, though) Maybe UCF and/or Southern Miss.

Tulsa has a new stadium right? I know its small but put together very well IIRC.
Not a new stadium, they refurbished it and added a new scoreboard. They actually made it less compacity, which is fine. Sad to say but in the past the biggest crowd draw was for the annual HS "Backyard Bowl" (Jenks vs. Union) They did get a brand new field though and it is beautiful!!

Before:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/...tadium-big.jpg

After:
http://www.utulsa.edu/physicalplant/images/stadium1_lrg.jpg (broken link)

As you can see they got rid of the north bleachers and added the Athletic Complex, and also "shrunk" the south bleachers to make room for the scoreboard, it all came out pretty sweet. Also added all of the suites and press boxes on the west side.

I plan on going to the BSU game. BSU was here in 2004 and they won 45-42, it was a great homecoming game, except that TU lost. I hope TU can get them this time, I can't stand BSU!!

Tulsa will have alot more games on TV in our area carried by CBS college sports, but to have 4 nationally televised, prime time ESPN games is kind of big.

Smallest FBS University in enrollment, the true home of the West Coast offense.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 05-19-2009 at 06:03 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Off topic, Kurt Thomas!! Has to be the greatest Frog evar!!! Love what you guys do with the color purple. Nice uni's!! I think the Baylor thing has to do more with their B-ball program, although this year, I think The Bears might go bowling for the first time in over 17 years!!

You guys know what non-BCS team I root for...Tulsa Golden Hurricane. They have been very solid for the last 4-5 years. They have an exciting freshman Shavodrick Beaver (QB) who decommitted from UM (wolverines) to come to Tulsa. Also the freshman all-american Damaris Johnson (180 all purpose yds/gm last year) is back for his true sophomore year, watching that guy is worth the price of admission.

Of course I expect them to go 13-1. They have a favorable schedule, except for having to play at "The Holy Land" (The University of Oklahoma). They have ECU, Houston and BSU at home. If they can look decent at OU and beat a top 15 BSU team and win the rest, a top 15-20 will not be out of the question.

The only problem is that they would have to go undefeated to make it to the BCS, that's just not going to happen. Top ranked non-BCS team? possible.

Glad to see that they have 4, yes 4, nationally televised games on ESPN. (BSU, Tulane, ECU (HUGE home game, looking for revenge), and UTEP.) (2 Wednesday night games, 1 Friday night, and 1 Sunday night)

I can hardly wait, the remodeled stadium is great and the atmosphere is unreal!!!
Yeah, TCU knows how to do purple right! BTW, I've got a homeboy that goes to Tulsa. Ried Singleton. He's commin' into his junior year. He should come into his own....

Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
Me I support the Nevada Wolfpack of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC),

Located in Reno,NV (pop 200,000)

This year is looking to be one of the better in the schools history.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM

193 posts, read 534,610 times
Speaking of Tulsa Hurricanes, I believe a couple of years ago, the Oklahoma Sooners actually came to Tulsa to play the Golden Hurricanes on a Friday night. I know the Sooners won by a big margin, but how did the crowd support turn out for the game? Was it a positive that people in Tulsa and northeast Oklahoma didn't have to drive all the way down to Norman to see a game?

With the South Alabama starting a DI football program, and Ladd-Pebbles stadium seating 50,000, it would be nice if Alabama or Auburn could come down to play the Jaguars for those in Mobile.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktanner View Post
Speaking of Tulsa Hurricanes, I believe a couple of years ago, the Oklahoma Sooners actually came to Tulsa to play the Golden Hurricanes on a Friday night. I know the Sooners won by a big margin, but how did the crowd support turn out for the game? Was it a positive that people in Tulsa and northeast Oklahoma didn't have to drive all the way down to Norman to see a game?

With the South Alabama starting a DI football program, and Ladd-Pebbles stadium seating 50,000, it would be nice if Alabama or Auburn could come down to play the Jaguars for those in Mobile.
FWIW it's just Golden Hurricane there is no "s".

I went to that game. It soldout very quickly. It looked like a OU home game which I thought was sad. I refused to openly root against TU in their stadium. It was actually a great game, TU came out and scored on their first possesion and held OU to a field goal. It actually lasted into the 3rd quarter until OU broke it open and returned the 2nd half kickoff.

I prefer OU games in Norman of course. Tulsa is alot closer to Norman then Mobile and Auburn, or even Tuscaloosa and Mobile. Congrats on starting a FBS team. They will need your support. I would hope that you guys could schedule 'Bama or Auburn, that may take more than a few years though. I prefer when TU plays teams like BYU and BSU rather than the top-tier teams such as OU. (Unless it's in a Bowl Game of course.)

OU regularly plays TU. TU even beat them at OU in the 90's. Their head to head is 15-7-1 (OU of course). It's funny that the only other FBS school in OK, oSu, doesn't even have the nads to play TU. I think TU would beat them more times than not.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 05-25-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 02:40 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
UNC Charlotte will be getting a program in the near future

Go NINERS!!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
UNC Charlotte will be getting a program in the near future

Go NINERS!!

I think that app. state is going to jump to D-1 in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football