U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 AM

18,667 posts, read 27,138,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
how are they overrated? because every single year after they beat the second best team in the small 10 at home in a bowl game, we hear about how they are the best team in the league. if they would have played florida last year, the gators would have destroyed them by 50. USC sucks, they play in a crappy conference, and they produce crappy pros.
This designation of the Pac 10 being a horrible conference needs to die. They performed well in the bowl season and they performed well out of conference. OU fans said the same thing regarding USC in 2004 and OU went out and lost to them 55-19. Meanwhile, the SEC didn't look all that great.

The best team for most of the season of that conference got beaten badly by a mountain west team basically in it's own backyard. Florida only scored 24 points against a terrible OU defense and they struggled to even get that many. What makes you possibly believe that USC would lose to them by 50? USC had a much better defense than OU and their offense, while sometimes they can leave you scratching your head, still put up impressive numbers with probably the best pro ready qb in the nation last year.

It's not like Florida has produced great and wonderful pro's themselves. Oh and when Carson Palmer is healthy, he's one of the most productive QB's in the league.

USC is not overrated year in and year out. Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 04:32 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,609,905 times
Quote:
underrated. hmmm. why must you do this to us? overrated is so much easier! underrated, I can see boise and utah. overrated, ohio state, notre dame, and USC come to mind.
OMG....WE agree!!!!! on Boise State and Utah. I also mentioned you should discuss the MOST over rated teams too...

Old 07-04-2009, 04:39 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,609,905 times
REMEMBER...The opening post ALSO mentions that OVER RANKED teams can be INCLUDED!

Old 07-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,218,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This designation of the Pac 10 being a horrible conference needs to die. They performed well in the bowl season and they performed well out of conference. OU fans said the same thing regarding USC in 2004 and OU went out and lost to them 55-19. Meanwhile, the SEC didn't look all that great.

The best team for most of the season of that conference got beaten badly by a mountain west team basically in it's own backyard. Florida only scored 24 points against a terrible OU defense and they struggled to even get that many. What makes you possibly believe that USC would lose to them by 50? USC had a much better defense than OU and their offense, while sometimes they can leave you scratching your head, still put up impressive numbers with probably the best pro ready qb in the nation last year.

It's not like Florida has produced great and wonderful pro's themselves. Oh and when Carson Palmer is healthy, he's one of the most productive QB's in the league.

USC is not overrated year in and year out. Not even close.
the pac 10 did well out of conference? hmmm. oregon state was slaughtered by penn state, oregon lost to boise at home, and cal was manhandled by maryland. that's just off the top of my head. they did do good in bowls last year. the oregon state vs. pitt 3-0 game was amazing. utah did put much pressure on alabama, considering alabama was without the outland trophy winner. the SEC didn't look all that great in bowl games? they had 5 bowl wins, and so did the pac 10. can you blame them because they got more teams to bowl games? florida struggled to put up 24 points? hmmmm. you sure you want to go there? almost 500 yards of offense (480). two 100 yard rushers, and 12/17 on 3rd down. is that really an offense struggling to you? I would also argue that bradford was a better pro ready QB than sanchez. stafford is still the most talented. hey, how did that beast keith rivers from USC do last year? he was a first round draft pick right? oh that's right, his face was broken in half by a QB turned wide receiver from the SEC and that ended his season. guess toughness doesn't exist in the pac 10. you are right about carson palmer though. he is the best QB in the league when healthy. ahhhh, think about when carson palmer was healthy. that was a fabulous 4 months wasn't it? I did see mike williams working at carmax though. another proud trojan. florida does not produce as many great pros as USC does, nor do they produce as many murderers. think about it. the best player in school history is a murderer. plus, he still can't touch emmitt smith or fred taylor. USC is overrated every year. pete carrol is about to get caught cheating like the bball program too. that's sad. cheating and still only producing 1 real NC. we don't count the shared stuff in gator country.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Yes and USC slaughtered Ohio State and they slaughtered Penn State in the Rose Bowl. How about a sorry UCLA team beating Tennessee in battle of ineptitude. Funny how you only bring up the OSU-Pitt game. What about Oregon and Oklahoma State in which Oregon beat them by double digits. They went undefeated in their bowl games and all but one won in impressive fashion. Name me the other conference that did that?

Florida moved the ball. Congratulations even though they were short of reaching 500 yards. Most of their possessions started well inside their own territory. They however could not finish their possessions. They also turned the ball over a couple times. What was the halftime score? 7-7 with OU blowing an opportunity to get up at least 10-7 down at the goal line? Wasn't it something like 14-7 going into the 4th? Yeah, you, like Texas Tech most of the time against Texas in recent years, moved the ball, but couldn't finish your possessions.

And I don't want to hear any excuses on what Alabama did not have. Fact is, THEY LOST. They were dominated. They were beaten badly by Utah. A missing lineman had no bearing on how poor the defense played in the 1st quarter of that game when they went down 3 touchdowns. So no excuses on that one, SEC fan. You guys love living in your bubble I see.

Sanchez is the more ready pro qb. His arm is just as strong, he is more mobile, he can read defenses better, much more elusive, and a better game manager.

That other stuff I don't care about. I'm not even a Trojan fan. But USC has been the most consistent team the past 5-7 years. If you beat them, it won't be easy. There will be no gimmicks, it will be just will. Again Florida does not put 50 points on that defense last year. They wouldn't even put up half of 50. Oh and please glass houses. Because Trojan fans can come on here and ask you how many more arrests will occur in the program before Urban Meyer figures it out. Oh and I like Florida. But SEC fans are some of the most annoying and arrogant bunch of fans of any sport in this country no matter the level.

Was USC overrated in 2003? NO
Was USC overrated in 2004? NO
Was USC overrated in 2005? NO
Was USC overrated in 2006? NO
Was USC overrated in 2007? YES. Down year for SC and they still won 11 games.
Was USC overrated in 2008? NO
USC has lost 7 games in the last 6 years by a combined 26 points. Yeah. Some overrated team.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
hmmmm, yet sorry azz penn state put up 24 points against that overrated defense. UCLA did beat tennessee, in overtime, at home. tennessee also lost to wyomings last year at home. georgia went to the west coast and spanked arizona state's little buttcheeks, but you don't hear me bragging about that. also, you were impressed with cal barely beating miami at home while miami was without their starting QB, who was suspended for the game? that was impressive to you? funny how you pretend that game didn't happen. that oregon vs. oklahoma state game was very impressive, but was it as impressive as boise state going to eugene and spanking the ducks at home? also, the oregon vs. oklahoma state game wasn't nearly as impressive as ole miss going to texas and destroying texas tech. oh, and please refrain from using the word "you" when talking about a football team. I do not play for the gators, nor am I a part of the team. I am just someone who enjoys watching them on TV. sanchez has an arm just as strong as stafford's? funny how 100% of NFL scouts disagree with you. SEC fans are not as annoying as big 12 or big 10 fans. however, the SEC has the right to brag. 2 NC's in a row, and florida owns 2 of those. they also have the greatest college player in the history of the game. are you talking about the player for florida that got in trouble for verbal resisting or something like that? I guess that is worse than murder? myer has kicked players off the team when he felt it was warrented. pete carrol is being investigated for cheating. I guess he needed to cheat to recruit that return man for the saints. forgot his name. hey, do you remember when USC lost to the vince young's? they didn't lose to the texas team, they were manhandled by a single player. pathetic. oh, and as for dirty sanchez, do you remember the last wac 10 QB that had one good year and was drafted high? his name was akili smith. how's he doing again?

Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,861,014 times
UF is trying to be the new Thug U, watch out Miami.

"That's certainly been the case at Florida, where there have been 24 arrests involving Gators over the last four years under Meyer."

Off-the-field trouble, arrests continue to plague Florida football - NCAA Football - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/07/03/Florida.troubles.ap/ - broken link)

SEC fans are for sure just as annoying as any other fans that try to pump up their own conference, SEC fans do it more so than others IMO.

Back to the OP. Heres a good article on who some "experts" think are the overrated teams this year.

Scout.com: 6/18 Roundtable - The Most Overrated Teams

From the article- 5. Texas - It's all relative. Everyone feels bad about what happened to the Longhorns last year so they're the automatic No. 2 pick over Oklahoma. I have a gut feeling that the Sooners, rebuilt O line and all, are better, and I have another gut feeling (or maybe it's the burrito I ate) that there will be at least two losses (OU and Oklahoma State). Again, it's all relative. Of course this is a top five team.

heh. I've the same gut feeling.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 07-05-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
hmmmm, yet sorry azz penn state put up 24 points against that overrated defense. UCLA did beat tennessee, in overtime, at home. tennessee also lost to wyomings last year at home. georgia went to the west coast and spanked arizona state's little buttcheeks, but you don't hear me bragging about that. also, you were impressed with cal barely beating miami at home while miami was without their starting QB, who was suspended for the game? that was impressive to you? funny how you pretend that game didn't happen. that oregon vs. oklahoma state game was very impressive, but was it as impressive as boise state going to eugene and spanking the ducks at home? also, the oregon vs. oklahoma state game wasn't nearly as impressive as ole miss going to texas and destroying texas tech. oh, and please refrain from using the word "you" when talking about a football team. I do not play for the gators, nor am I a part of the team. I am just someone who enjoys watching them on TV. sanchez has an arm just as strong as stafford's? funny how 100% of NFL scouts disagree with you. SEC fans are not as annoying as big 12 or big 10 fans. however, the SEC has the right to brag. 2 NC's in a row, and florida owns 2 of those. they also have the greatest college player in the history of the game. are you talking about the player for florida that got in trouble for verbal resisting or something like that? I guess that is worse than murder? myer has kicked players off the team when he felt it was warrented. pete carrol is being investigated for cheating. I guess he needed to cheat to recruit that return man for the saints. forgot his name. hey, do you remember when USC lost to the vince young's? they didn't lose to the texas team, they were manhandled by a single player. pathetic. oh, and as for dirty sanchez, do you remember the last wac 10 QB that had one good year and was drafted high? his name was akili smith. how's he doing again?
First of all
YOOHOO, I'm a TEXAS fan. I have no reason to hate or like USC. So you telling me what USC did in 2005 in the national championship game actually makes me proud.

Now unto the rest of your post. You ever heard of garbage time? USC was up 31-7 on Penn State going into the 4th quarter. They was up 38-17 with 6 minutes to go in the game. Penn State scored when USC took out it's starters. Don't try to come in here saying the score acting like it was close when you know good in well that Penn State was dominate throughougly in that game. Georgia( the 3rd best team in the SEC) beat Arizona State (the 7th best team in the Pac 10). Congratulations. It's not like you wasn't suppose to do that. Not an impressive win at all.

Is it Cal's fault that Miami's qb was out. Cal won the football game. End of discussion. Boise State beat Oregon 37-32. I watched that game. BSU was completely dominating them. Oregon came back and nearly recovered an onside kick with over 2 minutes to go and was moving the ball at will on them in the 4th. Not exactly a "spanking." I'm not going to refrain from anything because YOU are biased in your argument. YOU are clearly a typical SEC fan that thinks every league is beneath you. That's why USC fans said it was so fun when they beat Auburn at Auburn 23-0 in 2003 to shut your mouths up.

The greatest player in the history of the game wakled out of Texas in 2005. Oh and I was comparing Bradford with Sanchez. Didn't even realize you mentioned Stafford. But you don't any much to brag anymore than any other conference. BTW, last I checked, Carson Palmer, had a great year in 2002 and is having a solid pro career. But of course, let's not let facts get in the way of your arguments. Oh and Florida still has issues dealing with crime. No doubt about it. It is becoming the butt of jokes on Rivals.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post

From the article- 5. Texas - It's all relative. Everyone feels bad about what happened to the Longhorns last year so they're the automatic No. 2 pick over Oklahoma. I have a gut feeling that the Sooners, rebuilt O line and all, are better, and I have another gut feeling (or maybe it's the burrito I ate) that there will be at least two losses (OU and Oklahoma State). Again, it's all relative. Of course this is a top five team.

I'm sorry. I just can't take anyone serious by somebody that says they have "gut" feeling. You just don't rebuild an oline easily. Especially one that is not deep and has little game experience. I seen this same song and dance before. Name me a team that had a fantastic great championship year with a rebuilt line in the past 10 years? You, as an OU fan, should know this considering how your 2005 season went with your new oline. How that work out for you?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
UF is trying to be the new Thug U, watch out Miami.

"That's certainly been the case at Florida, where there have been 24 arrests involving Gators over the last four years under Meyer."

Off-the-field trouble, arrests continue to plague Florida football - NCAA Football - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/07/03/Florida.troubles.ap/ - broken link)

SEC fans are for sure just as annoying as any other fans that try to pump up their own conference, SEC fans do it more so than others IMO.

Back to the OP. Heres a good article on who some "experts" think are the overrated teams this year.

Scout.com: 6/18 Roundtable - The Most Overrated Teams

you can't control what your players do, but you can control what you do if they get into trouble. some teams look the other way when the player does something serious. big 12 nebraska cornhuskers and lawrence phillips come to mind. as far as the fans, if you win 3 NC's in a row, you have a right to be on a high horse. worst fans are ohio state fans hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or